It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2007, 11:19 PM   #1
(female)

cybercat117 HB User
Long Term Effects of Aging After Thyroidectomy

I am a 48 year old female who had a total thyroidectomy in 1994, after trying to reduce cold nodules for 6 years with Synthroid. The goiter that I developed became so large that it started to grow downwards under my collarbone. Luckily, after a number of inconclusive biopsies and the following surgery, the thyroid nodules were found to be benign.

I am still using Synthroid, although my numbers changed drastically last year. I felt horrible- frightening brain fog, aches and pains in joints and muscles, trouble sleeping, depression, additional weight gain, cold, and extreme chronic tiredness. I thought that these were effects of aging...Now I am aware of the changes in my Synthroid requirements and my dosage has been increased.

I am, however, wondering now about the long term effects of living without a natural thyroid gland. Will I experience accelerated symptoms of aging? I certainly feel MUCH older than my years and am noticing physical changes that seem to be coming on too soon....anybody else notice this? Has anyone read anything on this topic? I have been unable to locate any research...

Old 07-18-2007, 04:36 AM   #2
(female)

3sweeties2005 HB User
Re: Long Term Effects of Aging After Thyroidectomy

No experience here or article information but I can tell you before I had my thyroidectomy I did speak with tons of people who have had these done. One friend of a friend I spoke to had her TT done at age 25yrs and is currently 59yrs old she says she doesn't look her age and she and her husband go dancing several times a week. So in aging aspect for her the TT did nothing. Good Luck on your research.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

If you continue to feel bad taking Synthroid, I strongly urge you to have your free T3 level evaluated. Synthroid seems to work for millions of people, but it absolutely doesn't work for everyone.

If your free T3 level is below the median lab range, you need supplemental T3 in addition to your T4 medication ... either in the form of Cytomel added to the Synthroid, or in the form of natural dessicated thyroid, which contains both T4 and T3 plus the other minute amounts of T hormones that your own gland would make if you had one.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I still have my thyroid ( at least for now). But I can share with you that my Mother had hers out at 48 years old........ she had a TT. She was on Armour until she died at age 74......... Her death was from her heart not her thyroid and she lived a very happy active life..........If she did not feel good she never told any of us.......... She looked awesome too, she looked young for her age.......... I hope that helps............. Oleander

Old 07-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
(female)

Molly93 HB User

Hey,

My father had his thyroid removed when he was 16.. and he is now 60.. so that is 44 years with out a thyoid and on meds..
He is fine.. the thyroid meds did not age him.. just the 4 kids.

Molly

Old 07-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #6
(female)

cybercat117 HB User

Thanks for the feedback...after I posted my question, I found the suggestion that many people with hypothyroidism also show adrenal fatigue symptoms...similar to what I describe...so perhaps I have another test to take. Of course though, a lot of my symptoms fit quite a number of ailments!

Old 07-20-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
(female)

kitkat62 HB User

What is armour?? I ve never herd of it. But I had A TT about 3 weeks ago, alittle complications, but I ve been on synthroid for over 17 yrs. Now all i can say is I can NOT take generic lenoxin ect, the fillers dont work for me , you may absorb your thyroid hormones differently. Anotehr thing I cant do is take thyroid medicine with dye, I m allergic to it.. Good luck

Old 07-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

OraEtLabora HB User

I had a TT in August, 2006, so it's been almost a year. I feel only slighty better, but everyone says I LOOK a LOT better. My skin, hair, nails, even my eyes, look much better.

So, I don't think the loss of my thyroid hurt me at all, nor do I think I have aged a bit since I had it - I was aging for years due to the hypothyroidism that went untreated for over 15 years.

Armour thyroid is a natural thyroid hormone, made from pigs, that has been in use, and FDA approved, for over 70 years (actually, it has been used a lot longer, but was FDA approved in the 1930's, I believe - someone correct me if I'm wrong). It contains not just the T4 that is present in synthetic form in Synthroid, Levoxyl, etc, but also contains T3, T2, T1 and Calcitonin. Many people do well on it, and in fact, some do better on it than they did on the synthetic T4.

Hope that helps.

Blessings!

Ora

Old 04-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
(female)

nura6732 HB User

I have similar concerns about the effect of thyriodectomy on the ageing process!

I am a 40 years old female and I had a total thyroidectomy 5 months ago. Prior to the operation, my thyroid hormone levels were normal, the reason for the operation was the enlarged multinodular goitre which kept growing and was becoming visible. I opted for an operation because my doctor had assured me that the hormone that I would be taking has exact same chemical formulation as the hormone produced by my body and that I wonít have any side effects associated with it. However, 1 month after the operation, Iíve started noticing rapid changes in my face Ė more wrinkles, less elasticity in the skin, circles under the eyes. I haven't lost or gained any weight after the operation, but my face became much thinner than before, and the skin less supple, which also makes me look older.

I've always looked younger than my age, just prior to the operation someone has commented that I looked 25... Now 6 month later, I look at the mirror and I donít recognise myself! Now I definitely look 40 or older! I am happy to accept my age, but my concern is that if the changes I experience are related to the lack of my own thyroid hormone and if the trend continues, I will age too quickly Ė and I donít want to!

Have anyone had the same experience? Is there any hope that the symptoms Iím experiencing might be temporary?

Closed Thread