It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

smurfy33 HB User
low temperature = hypothyroidism?

I recently found that having a low temperature could be related to hypothyroidism. I've been having problems for 2 years with symptoms that I feel are related to my thyroid but my TSH is always between 1 and 2. I had my T3 and T4 checked a year ago and the doctor said they were normal but I never found out the actual numbers. I experience both hypo and hyper symptoms. I have hot/cold intolerance (most recently the cold intolerance), shakiness in my hands at times, anxiety, increased acid reflux, 10-pound weight gain over the past year, slight swelling in my hands/feet, heart racing, feeling of air hunger at times, muscle aches, feeling of a lump in my throat and easy fatigability. There are probably more that I cannot think of right now. My doctors have diagnosed me with anxiety disorder and they tell me to lose some weight and exercise. My mom has Graves' Disease and had a thyroid storm and my sister has hyperthyroidism. My grandmother had hypothyroidism. My symptoms are very similar to my mom's symptoms before she was diagnosed except hers were much, much worse leading to her thyroid storm. Anyway, I started checking my temperature daily with a basal thermometer and it has averaged 97.1 for the past 3 days. I read one place where an average temp of under 97.6 for 10 days could be a subclinical diagnosis of hypothyroidism. Anyone else with hypothyroidism have a low temp here?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
(female)

laninabonita HB User
Re: low temperature = hypothyroidism?

I am having most of those symptoms too and i wonder if it is hypothyroidism. i should get checked but i have a huge fear of doctors in case they find it is soemthing worse.

Old 07-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
(female)

jenn3 HB User

i had alot of the same symptoms and my labs kept coming back fine. Every couple of months i had blood done and then all of a sudden i was very hypo and my tsh was 79!
Good luck

Old 07-28-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

My temp, when well, has always been 98.6. I am most definitely hypothyroid.

Both offspring have always registered lower than that when well. Neither is hypothyroid.

I think your other symptoms are more concerning.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
(male)

wdiguy HB User

Im hypo and my temperature is always 96.8-97.2

Old 07-30-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
(female)

smurfy33 HB User

Thanks for the responses! The more I look online, the more I find that a low temp can be a symptom of hypothyroidism. I'm currently on the search for a new family doctor. Hopefully once I find a new doctor I can have my levels checked again to see if they have changed. My last TSH, T3 and T4 were done in September 2006 and were "normal" so I think it is time to be rechecked.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
(female)

cmello HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfy33 View Post
I recently found that having a low temperature could be related to hypothyroidism. I've been having problems for 2 years with symptoms that I feel are related to my thyroid but my TSH is always between 1 and 2. I had my T3 and T4 checked a year ago and the doctor said they were normal but I never found out the actual numbers. I experience both hypo and hyper symptoms. I have hot/cold intolerance (most recently the cold intolerance), shakiness in my hands at times, anxiety, increased acid reflux, 10-pound weight gain over the past year, slight swelling in my hands/feet, heart racing, feeling of air hunger at times, muscle aches, feeling of a lump in my throat and easy fatigability. There are probably more that I cannot think of right now. My doctors have diagnosed me with anxiety disorder and they tell me to lose some weight and exercise. My mom has Graves' Disease and had a thyroid storm and my sister has hyperthyroidism. My grandmother had hypothyroidism. My symptoms are very similar to my mom's symptoms before she was diagnosed except hers were much, much worse leading to her thyroid storm. Anyway, I started checking my temperature daily with a basal thermometer and it has averaged 97.1 for the past 3 days. I read one place where an average temp of under 97.6 for 10 days could be a subclinical diagnosis of hypothyroidism. Anyone else with hypothyroidism have a low temp here?
Wow! I had hypothyroidism off and on in my 30's. I have had it constantly for the past 10 years. I have been giving blood at the red cross for about a year now (they were looking for someone with same name in Oakland and found me instead) and every time I go in (every 8 weeks) they take my temperature. It is always 97.6 or lower. They have a minimum temperature just like they have a minimum weight. I am above the minimum temp (barely) but I never knew why my temp is/was always low. It has been like this for a long time. My doctor has discussed with me other symptoms of hypothyroidism but not low temp. I have NEVER been hyperT and no one in my family has either. Other females of family have had off and on hypoT. I'll ask if they have consistently low temps.

My doctor has me on Armour thyroid and cytomel. I have a host of other symptoms for hypoT too, almost every symptom. Medication reduces severity of symptoms but does not make them go away completely. Another problem is that hypoT has some symptoms in common with other diseases (like diabetes). If I do not take my medications, my TSH, T3 and T4 are abnormal but not extremely so. However I always have thyroid antibodies and multiple lumps (small) in my thyroid -- a symptom of thyroid being attacked by immune system which will cause hypothyroidism. My doctor has to specifically ask to have the thyroid antibodies checked -- it is not standard test -- and the lab has to send it somewhere else to be tested. Has your doctor checked for thyroid antibodies? These are a definitive symptom of certain types of hypothyroidism. Your thyroid could be under attack!

There's a "Dummies" book that covers both hypo- and hyper-thyroidism which I have. I have other general books on medical problems by Reader's Digest and Mayo clinic. I am a hypochondriac in remission...knowing about things makes me worry less and less likely to imagine I have some deadly disease.

About looking for a new doctor: go for it. There are online sites that rate doctors, even for specific conditions. My doctor is rated very good for thyroid problems. I was referred to her by a co-worker with diabetes.

Last edited by cmello; 08-03-2007 at 02:34 PM. Reason: more info to help: choosing a doctor

Old 08-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

The following medical conditions are possible causes of low body temperature. There are likely other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.

* Cold exposure
* Alcohol consumption
* Hypothyroidism
* Certain medications
* Inactivity
* Immobility
* Hypoglycaemia
* Impaired shivering capacity in elderly
* Myxoedema
* Starvation
* Malnutrition
* Hypopituitarism
* Exposure to cold outdoors
* Immersion in cold water
* Vasoconstriction failure
* Dwashiorkor
* Erythrodema
* Paget's disease of bone
* Uremia
* Cerebrovascular injury
* Cerebral trauma
* Diabetic ketoacidosis
* Wernicke's encephalopathy
* Carbon monoxide poisoning
* Anoxic brain injury
* Cardiac arrest
* Organophosphate poisoning
* Spinal cord lesion
* Terminal malignant disease
* Severe hepatic cirrhosis
* Overwhelming infection
* Major operation
* Severe coronary thrombosis
* Pulmonary embolism

Old 08-05-2007, 07:11 AM   #9
(female)

smurfy33 HB User

cmello - thank you for your input. No, I have not had my thyroid antibodies checked and I will ask for that the next time I have my other thyriod tests done. As for finding a new family doc, I work at a huge hospital and I know all the good ones, and there aren't many. There are even less good endocrinologists. Some of these doctors take months to get an appointment with but its worth it.

ErinBeth - thank you for the list of conditions that a low temp could be associated with. I know I don't have 99% of those conditions. When I initially posted, I was just curious to see how many hypo people have low temps. I have many other thyroid symptoms and I was just adding this one to the list.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

One way to find out if the low temp is actually a symptom of a hypothyroid disorder is to get to an optimal hormone level and then check temps. If it goes away, it was likely a symptom. If it doesn't change with appropriate treatment, it likely isn't.

Old 08-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

My body temp has always been low. Even when I was on the right amount of thyroid medicine. I have been as low as 96.8. I can't get a doctor to give me a reason for this. I am always in the 97.1 to 97.8 range. So would I have a fever if my temp is 98.6?

Old 08-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

I am hypo. My meds are just getting adjusted but my normal is generally 97.7. I am going to talk with the endo at my next appt. to see if he thinks that I will get back to 98.6 when I have been at a good level for awhile. I will post the docs opinion but it will have to be in approx. six weeks or so.

Closed Thread