It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User
follow up lab results

hi everyone...just got results back from my endocrinologist and he suggested in lowering my 100mcgs synthroid to 50 mcgs and to follow up in 6 months. we'll see how things go. i have been feeling great since starting the synthroid. of course i still have my down days but i have many UP days as well. so i am thankful that my days are not all down days. here's my results...any insight would help. i am feeling a bit short of breath right now. i don't know what it is, i just hope it clears up soon. it's real uncomfortable. and it feels like my throat is acting up too, like it's closing up on me. oh brother...it's really a mind over matter thing.

i saw the same endo and same results for the same clinic.

July 17, 2007 Ranges

fT3 6.0 3.0-10.0
fT4 26.3 13.0-28.0
TSH basel 0.05 0.2-3.5
TG-AK(TAK) 724 <100
TPO-AK(MAK) 562 <100
TSH-RezeptorAK <1.0 <15.0
Thyreoglobulin <1.0 <70.0

April 20, 2007

fT3 6.3
fT4 17.2
TSH basel 2.07
TG-AK (TAK) 762
TPO-AK(MAK) 322
TSH Rezeptor AK 5
Thyreoglobulin <1.0

so my ft4, tsh and tpo-ak were the ones that had some big changes. so now i have meds for 50mcgs. do u think that's a good dose? i was a big skeptical at first to start off with 100mcgs but it did get rid of alot of craziness. now that i'm going down to 50, i'm scared that these symptoms will creep on by. my cardiologist prescribed 150mcgs and i just thought that was crazy..and now i'm down to 50. funny thing is, on my endo's results back to my clinic, it mentioned that they put me on 75mcgs (in which they actually put me on 100). i know it's always a dosage guessing game, but i really don't want any of those crazy symptoms to come back. the best i can do is to give it a try and see what it does to me. i think 75 mcgs would've been the best dose, but i'll give the 50 a try and if i start feeilng awful again, i'll go back to the doctor to up it to 75mcgs. sad part is, my gp is leaving. he is moving to another army clinic...like 2 hours away. so i have to explain this crap ALL OVER again to the next doctor i see. that's another BUMMED OUT thing. ok thanks guys....

arge

Last edited by iona_23; 08-03-2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: labs weren't showing up correctly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User
Re: follow up lab results

Hi, Iona

is there any way at all you can see another doc - like, NOW? I don't like the way your dosing is going. My hair is falling out (mostly) because my dose of levoxyl was lowered from 125 mcg to 112 mcg (I am TT)...my body DID NOT like the drop. I'm not saying hair fall is going to happen to you, I just think dropping 50 mcg that suddenly is way too much.

I don't think you labs indicate dropping it either - but your shortness of breath concerns me.

Can you see another doc?

take care
B

Old 08-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona_23 View Post
funny thing is, on my endo's results back to my clinic, it mentioned that they put me on 75mcgs (in which they actually put me on 100).
I am wondering if the note on your endo's results caused the confusion, that your new dose of 50 mcgs is, perhaps, based on thinking you had been taking 75 mcgs? If so, perhaps if you explained your latest labs were based on 100 mcgs, not 75 mcgs and you asked to have current prescription changed to 75 mcgs rather than 50 mcgs ...?

Old 08-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

I'm with birchtree and erinbeth. Error's like that happen all the time. They look at the chart instead of the patient and don't really hear what the patient says. It does sound like they may be basing the decision on thinking you're doing 75. That's an awful big drop if you're feeling fairly well. The shortness of breath is probably saying you need to come down slightly. Not be thrown on your butt.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

Isn't it intreating that your Free T3 did not move either way and is below the middle of the range both times?

Even when your Free T4 was very high your free T3 stayed too low. The high free T4 is what made your TSH so low, (even while you had a low free T3).

This is a very good example of how you can still have a low free T3 even with a high free T4 (and a low TSH).

The TSH does NOT indicate what the free T3 is doing, the high free T4 (from the T4 only med) is what is supressing the TSH.

You would be better off if your free T4 AND free T3 were both a little above the middle of the range, NOT having the free T4 high and the free T3 low.

Having a high free T4 and a low free T3 will eventually cause problems becasuse the body works hard to compensate and can only do it for so long.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:45 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi gcc,

I think if you will look back at iona's history, you will find that she has really just started treatment. She's doing amazingly well and is actually feeling quite good considering the short amount of time that she's been receiving treatment. Right, iona? She also has other issues that she is contending with.

Every individual is different. They have particular hormone levels that they feel good at. There are so many factors that come into play as to where that individual person's going to feel good at. I know that you had a very difficult time with it and I am so glad that you've been able to work things out for yourself. Most people's body's have a marvelous ability to compensate for certain things. One of the ways this is accomplished is thru the balance of the various thryoid hormones. And those aren't just the T3 and T4 either. The thyroid also produces other thyroid hormones as well. There's an awful lot that goes on at the molecular level too. Individual variations in thyroid hormone receptor distribution also plays a big role. Intercurrent illnesses, stress, enviornmental factors all come into play.

What works for one person doesn't always necessarily work for the next. I personally feel my best when my FT4 is above range and my FT3 is slightly below mid range. I don't get there often but when I do, I actually feel good. Weird, huh?

Old 08-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

im with birch erinbeth and helen. sorry gcc i think on the contrary that iona has a good t3 in the begging , i am actuially someone who converts the t3 to well lol if i go inot the tsh o.s and my t4 goes above 17 18 my t3 goes through the roof infact if i was to have a t3 supplement i would go through the roof really right helen she can actually tell you that is really true seeing a s she peeled me off the ceiling lol so says me!!! iona im with the others maybe he was in the beleif that you were on 75 and even if he wasnt you should not go any lower than 75 or you will find it difficult im going to b really cheeky now but have you ahd your iron and full blood count checked latley thats a hyper or low iron symptom for me and do you still have periods as alot of hypers have anaemia problems take care hun hope that you get to the bottom of thsi a s it is unpleasent i dont like it with my low iron best wishes kat hello all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx
ps i woudl like to add that i think its the minority who dont convert there t3 well when put on a t4 only drug im lucky that i usually do cos even if we didnt over here in fhe uk we would have to buy it on the net they really dont like giving it out love katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxmeowxxxx xxx

Last edited by pursie; 08-05-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

thanks everyone for the response. thanks helen for backing me up. yes gcc, you too, thanks. but i have to go with everyone else too. everyone IS different and i must say that at i do feel alot better than i did in march...where i drove myself up the wall. helen had to help bring me back down to the ground and many people here on healthboards. and yes, so did REIKI, so did exercising, so did synthroid and especially so did PRAYERS. so yes...thank you for your concern. i don't understand this disease to it's fullest and i wish i could just be cured, don't we all?? but it seems to be a mind game and a body game. i don't know, i hope u guys understand what im saying. for me, all that is my upmost concern is feeling good. being able to function and take care of my kids and live a "normal" life. sometimes i don't think anything is normal anymore, but a matter of just having to get used to it. hehehehe. i haven't been to hard on myself since march but sometimes when i do have my down days, i wish that a good one will be right around the corner. and most of the time, a good day does come. and i am thankful for that.

as for the 50mcg's, i too was a bit concerned about it. so i decided to go ahead and take 75mcgs. i just halfed one of the other pills. i really think that 75 is the ideal dose right now. but i know, it's always a dosage game when it comes to tsh, ft3, ft4 levels whenever go in to get our blood drawn. i'll see how this 75mcgs makes me feel, i didn't want to just take the 50 right away cuz at 100mcgs i had my moments, but for the most part, it helped me alot. so even if the doctor just prescribed the 50mcgs, i'm taking 75. at least i'm not going over the 100mcgs. then if i feel good in like 4 weeks, i am going to go back to my doctor and tell him what i did. i think he was thinking the same thing...about making my dose 75 but since the endo's suggested 50, he just agreed and said "oh ok, 50 it is." just as long as i know i'm not overdosing myself, i really don't see anything wrong. do u guys see anything wrong with it? i know if this is wrong and against doctor's prescription, i'll only be hurting myself, right? but any insight would help.

thanks again so much erinbeth, birch, HELEN, gcc, and PURSIE....HUGS!!!!

Old 08-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

one more thing commenting on the whole period deal..i don't see any difference in my period than i did in the last year. i do notice that my headaches are alot worse a day before my period than it has been in the last year. and i do feel more crappier when i'm on my period. like who isn't? hehehe. but no, i am always on time and my first 2 days are the worst then it tapers down by the 5-6 day. just thought i'd add that cuz i forgot to mention that in my previous post. thanks again guys.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iona_23 View Post
... i hope u guys understand what im saying. for me, all that is my upmost concern is feeling good. being able to function and take care of my kids and live a "normal" life. sometimes i don't think anything is normal anymore ...

... do u guys see anything wrong with it? i know if this is wrong and against doctor's prescription, i'll only be hurting myself, right? but any insight would help.

thanks again so much erinbeth, birch, HELEN, gcc, and PURSIE....HUGS!!!!
Hugs back at you, iona. You have it exactly right, IMO. The object of what you are doing is to feel good, take care of your kids, and live the best life possible. There is a point where you will know you are there and want to stop worrying over lab numbers, etc. You'll have a plan in place to make sure you take that little pill, but will mostly do what is important. I can't think of anything in life more important than being the best parent you can be, btw.

While I don't see a danger in settling on the 75 mcg dose, given what you have told us, I think I would contact the doctor to explain what I was doing and why. A trust relationship with the doc is important, IMO, and that needs to go both ways.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

right you are erinbeth you put that so good do you know that ??
it shoul be talked with the dr what is wrong with saying you will lower to the 75 an see how it goes and then if you have to go down further then so be it nothing wrong with that kwim i have eneded up on 62 wich takes alot of chopping an that was off my back not the docs lol love pursie and hugs to yo u and all we have to go off feel and bloods katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxi insist no sorry i annoy the doc into bloods every 2 mnths lol as i also have 3 kids all under 11 so we really have to be well its scaryxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 08-05-2007 at 02:03 PM.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:32 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

erinbeth is right. Tell the doc what you are doing so it is in your charts. Lot's of docs have no problem listening to what their patients have to say as long as what they say is reasonable. Your plan sounds extremely reasonable.

Periods are a bear. No two ways about that. I'm glad I got rid of that problem a long time ago. What we women go thru. Geez.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

thanks guys. i do have to take my daughter to the clinic this thursday. and i will will try to make an appointment to let him know what's going on. i'll take ur advice and i'll be a WOman about this and tell him. i wasn't gonna tell him til later but since u guys put it that way, then i'll be a better person and tell him. i know that i'm new to this game of thyroid disease and stuff but you guys are right. i've had several tests done already and the numbers don't really alarm me anymore. i know that i have hashi's and that my numbers will always have their ups and downs, but that the "numbers" are just there. numbers don't tell me how i am going to feel or what i should feel like. they are just numbers. and of course the numbers that usually throw me off are my antibodies. cuz my tsh, ft3 and ft4's are always within range. but it's always my antibodies results that seem to bring me to a slum. but now i'm slowly digesting all this alot better. i guess cuz everything is settling in....that numbers don't control how i am going to feel. i am slowly learning guys...hehehehe. thanks so much for giving me advice. it means alot to me. of course i don't discuss this with anyone here at home, just my peeps on healthboards...so yes, thanks again.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ErinBeth HB User

Do you have to make an appointment just to tell him what you decided to do? Can't you just give him a call, ask him to call back and talk to him on the phone about it without having to pay for an office visit? In my case, I can talk to my doc via a secure website messaging symptom, only have to go in for an exam or labs or if there is a different issue.

One of the reasons he needs to know is to let you know if he has a good reason he doesn't want you to do that. The other reason is that he needs to know what dose you were on and when at the time to evaluate your next labs.

The antibodies may just finish the job of wiping out your thyroid along the way. In some cases they even cease activity. Either way there is hope the ups and downs they cause will eventually stop.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:27 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User

well i just called the clinic and asked the nurse if the dr can give me a call. it was worth a try right? my hubby is in the miitary so as much as possible, they like us to make an appointment to see them all the time. paid for by the army, if u know what i mean. but i did leave a note and she said she'll relay the message to him and hopefully he can call me back. thanks for your advice. i really don't think he has much to say because he isn't the one who is doing the therapy for me. it's the endocrinologists who forward my lab results to him and he just puts in the prescription for me to pick up for free in the army clinic. so he's just the middle guy. but i'm sure he wont mind. he usually doesn't fight with me about the way i'm feeling because i usually go psycho on him if he doesn't listen to me. hehehe. but that only happened once. ok enough, thanks again erinbeth!!!

Closed Thread