It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

menger HB User
Hyperthyroidism and Excercise

If you have hyperthyroidism, is it safe to excercise regularly? Thanks!

Last edited by menger; 01-05-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User
Re: Hyperthyroidism and Excercise

hi i have hypothyroidism but i have been really hyper from the meds so i have always worked out whatever and i think it makes the heart stronger be carefull with weights and you do have to be more carefull not to do too much strain from the cardivascular and i would build it up really graduall what about some toning exersizes to start with and a good walk or sort go on your bike to start with and build it really slow over a couple of months work out your scedules let me know i can give you some good tips tummy and legs and alot of different ones im making a 6 pack at the mo lol
let me know and we can compare ask your dr ofd course aswell dont ever just take advixce off here without proffesinal advice good luck love katxxxxxxxxxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yours is an important question that should be asked of your MD only.
HyperT can make exercise dangerous, due to the increased heart rate that it causes while at rest. Add exercise to the mix and you can end up in a perilous situation.

Cholesterol buildup doesn't cause discomfort until it reaches dangerous levels. If you're younger, that isn't it, and you should assume it's your hyperT until your MD tells you otherwise.
Please, call him/her for advice before you test your exercise limits!

Old 08-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

the two gals are right hon, I just started being able to exercise after a year. I wasn't put on betas though. I had a high free t-3 and any kind of exertion got my heart racing. Now that I don't have that anymore, and my pulse has slowed down, It's fine. Ask the doc. It's scary,huh?

Old 08-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hello-

DO NOT start exercising until your levels are stable and you get an ok from your dr. It took me about 9 months and my dr. would ONLY let me walk 10 minutes a day (actually after muscle atrophe that was about all I could handle). But there is hope. I now run 4-6 days a week 2-5 miles each session.

Good Luck- Nikki

Old 08-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #6
(male)

korunner HB User

I've been hyper for about a year and have been an endurance athlete for almost fifteen years. I've done marathons, triathlons, Ironman races and such. I actually found out I was hyper because my running was really suffering. I have kept up my running although not to the same intensity level. My doctor knows how much my running means to me and has never told me to stop. What I have changed is to really watch my heart rate, I use a heart rate monitor alot now so I can keep a close watch on it. Definitely get one if you intend to do any kind of cardio they are not that expensive and well worth it. Sometime hyper can change your rhythm so I'd keep exercising, just be smart about it. I am still not up to the same level I was before but I'm getting back there. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

menger HB User

I'm in my early 20's. Whenever my pulse is tested it is racing. Usually over 100bpm, around 105-110 beats per minute just sitting around. I haven't tested it while running or after. I think I will try and get heart rate monitor. I did get pain in my heart when I ran hard for just 1 minute or less. I just thought I was really out of shape since I hadn't excercised for about 4 years. And when I wanted to start excercising, I found out I had hyperthyroidism. It's good to know i should ask a doctor before any strenuous excercise or extreme exertion. It is just going to be hard not being able to excercise as much because I now have hyperthyroidism. A year is a long time, but I know keeping your heart healthy is very important for your body. It's always good to be on the safe side. I appreciate you all. I'll take your advice! I see Dr. Alan Rubin Aug 13th. I will definitely ask him a lot of questions. Thanks!

Last edited by menger; 08-06-2007 at 08:51 PM.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

menger HB User

Hi Pursie,

I'm curious about the tummy and leg excercises you have been doing. I'll ask my doctor about excercising, what I can do right now(my limits), and after I stabilize. I agree that I will have to stabilize before running miles. I had an incident a couple months ago that raised my bp extremely high(this was before I knew I had hyperthyroidism), so I thought my high bp was because of this and I thought it was temporary. The high bp because of the incident caused me to have sharp pains in my heart area. I didn't think anything of it at the time. But the pain came back, I would say, whenever my bp was really high. I had never experienced anything like this before. Relatively speaking, my bp has remained high. I just find myself extremely hungry, I overeat each day. I hope the medication takes effect on my symptoms. My doctor said 3 weeks, so I have a little over one week to go. I can't wait to start seeing and feeling a difference.

Last edited by menger; 08-06-2007 at 08:48 PM.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

I've heard it said before about athletes actually getting Graves ,there is a conection.Someone had posted it on another m. board about Graves. What were your labs? You should get a copy and continue getting copies and track how you feel,etc. How much of a dose are you on? I started out with only 2.5 and was fine for a good 8 months, but I screwed myself up by stopping the meds. I'm on 5 mgs now and actually feel better than I have in a year, no more heart issues,butmy muscles have gotten so weak, I now have problems with my neck and shoulders. It seems I can't do anything without straining something! I clean houses for a living so it sucks! Even if you can't run at least do some weights maybe, but get the doc's okay first. I couldn't exercise because of my heart, now because of my neck prob,I still can't do too much, but am trying everyday, and going to a chiropracter is helping.You're young, you'll be fine in time! Don't worry too much about exercise until you feel better and the heart thing is under control.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:44 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hello-

I did buy a heart rate monitor watch. It makes me feel more comfortable when I run. It was a good investment and it was reasonable at Wal-Mart.

Nikki

Old 08-07-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
(male)

korunner HB User

[ I've heard it said before about athletes actually getting Graves ,there is a conection.Someone had posted it on another m. board about Graves.

This is very interesting to me, thanks for the info if you know of anything else concerning Graves and athletes I'd love to know about it. My hyper is due to Graves and I have been an endurance athlete for a long time. I don't exercise the way I used to but I still try to do as much as I can.
That's why I love this board, I'm always learning something new!!

Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #12
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User

I have Graves' and I've been lifting weights and jogging for the past few years. Let me tell you, left untreated, heavy exercise will only make your condition worse.

First, when you are hyperthyroid, your body burns so many calories that it has difficulty storing energy. That's why many of us eat and eat and lose weight. Or if you lift weights, you cannot gain strength. Only until you become euthyroid and your body stores energy properly can you gain muscle. And if you do cardio, your stamina and ability to catch your breath will decrease.

Second, untreated, heavy exercise and hyperthyroidism will lead to thyroid storm. That's a t-shirt you don't wanna get.

Third, many of us Graves' peeps suffer from mitral valve prolapse, a valve defect in the heart. Extreme exertion can cause this valve to become leaky and regurgitation may happen. This is bad. It can cause a heart infection and kill you.

I agree with those that say to get your thyroid under control before doing moderate exercise. I would think walking should be fine, just check your heart rate. And think about going to a cardiologist. Thyroid problems are associated with heart, pancreas, adrenal, and other hormone system problems.

BTW, I had to stop lifting weights because I got really sick. It has caused me permanent palpitations. You don't want that.

Shakes

Old 08-09-2007, 12:38 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

menger HB User

The hyperthyroidism I have is genetic. Does this mean I have graves?

Old 08-09-2007, 07:23 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User

Hello-

From what I have learned auto-immunity is familial. I have graves, but my Mother has Lupus....I don't know of any one else that has Graves but with my Mother having Lupus it means that auto-immunity is quite possible.

Nikki

Old 08-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #15
(male)

ShakesMcThyroid HB User

To address cali01s question:

Hyperthyroidism is when the thyroid produces too much thyroid hormone, usually T4, and speeds up the body's metabolic and hormonal processes associated with the thyroid.

Graves' disease is an autoimmunity disorder where the body's own immune system sees the thyroid as a foreign antibody and attacks the thyroid. It also goes on to attack the eyes, hence Graves' opthamology, which is characterized by bulging eyes, weak eye muscles, diplopia, sagging eye lids, et al.

You have to be specifically tested for Graves' disease. There are several thyroid autoantibody tests they can do to test for specific antibodies. In hyperthyroidism, they usually dx it with a basic TSH and/or T4/T3 test. It will not show Graves'.

Shakes

Closed Thread