It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #1
(female)

mellymermaid40 HB User
Any TSI present ---- indicative to Graves?

I just had TSI test done and it came back 78 <130 negative. But..... I was told that a healthy person has absolutely no TSI and any TSI meant Graves. Just not in full blown active state. What do you think?

Melanie

Old 08-09-2007, 06:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NikkiNak HB User
Re: Any TSI present ---- indicative to Graves?

Hello-

You got it!!! a healthy person does **not ** have TSI. You have mild graves.

Nikki

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #3
(female)

mellymermaid40 HB User

Thanks Nikki for responding. Weird thing is.....I have been diagnosed Hashi's. I have TPO ab >1000 and Tgab >3000. Any thoughts on this?

Melanie

Old 08-09-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

There is a rare Hashi's Graves combination. Which give you the best of both... I have been looking into this as well. My family predisposes me to Graves and I have and had many of the symptoms since my first pregnancy five years ago.. but I am also showing some of the dominant Hashi's symptoms as well.

Dang it.. I can not remember the name of the dual condition. I will do my best to look it up and give you the formal name for personal investigation.

My MD tested me for the TPOAb and TGAb but neglected all the other anti-body tests which would tell me whether Graves or Hashi's.. how lazy is that! There wasn't a slot on the is blood work form for TSI or the Hashi's signature element so he left it off. Sorry still ticked about that.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 08-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

GOT IT!

Hashitoxicosis.. my mom's youngest sister that is on med's and hasn't had her thyroid removed has it. It is predominantly Hashimoto's but the Graves counteracts it in an active state and can cause you issues as well. Do a search and see what you think. It is hard to diagnose, because when both are active your TSH and T4 and T3 results will look normal.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
(female)

mellymermaid40 HB User

Mg, I will research that. Thank you for the information.

Melanie

Old 08-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Melanie..I just read in Mary Shomon's book"living well with Graves disease".. "get a scan or ultrasound,if there's anything lumpy about the gland you're more likely dealing with Hashi's. In Graves the gland is homogeneous and uniform, it lights up all over. If it's Hashi's it's lumpier." The TRab or tsi is usually indicative of Graves.Most people have NO tsi..unless you have a case like Shmily. Are you having a lot of symptoms of hyper? What about your free t's?

Last edited by Bran'sNana; 08-09-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Old 08-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Has anyone else been diagnosed with Hashitoxicocis and did you experience
the same problems? How did your doctor treat you?

Old 08-12-2007, 06:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Exclamation Re: Any TSI present ---- indicative to Graves?

hi melanie and others ,i too have that same trouble in jan 07 i found out i had hypo thyrold i started out on 25mcgs of levothyroxine then the gp i was seeing i left his practice because over a yr he refused to even test me for thyrold he kept telling me it would be a waste of time but the symtons i was having before i found out was i was deeply depressed couldnt stay asleep woke up 2-3 hrs ahead cried all the time slept through the day allday long had no energy so after seeing my gp for allmost 2 yrs i finally went in after begging him time after time to PLEASE test my thyrold i finally told him id rather die then live this way so he sent me to a psychiatrist who found my tsh was 8.45 so i went back to my gp long enough to get on meds he started me on 25mcgs of levothyroxine then i went to my gyn for my checkup he put me on synthyrold 50 mcgs at first i felt ok but then after 1 month i couldnt handle the synthrold so i found a internal medicine dr and he upped me to 75mcgs of levothyroxine i was way over medicated he wouldnt lower my dose or change brands so i stopped them because i was having horrible side effects and he thought i was bipolar which come to find out i wasnt and he was even a D.O so then i went to a endo she started me back on a low dose of levoxyl 25mcgs because i stopped the 75mcgs for 7 days .ok from jan 07 till this past week i was fainting ,passingout then when i started the levoxyl i started having seizures its even stated in the pamplet i showed her this ,she didnt want to change me even though i told her all my symtons i was having hyper symtons .diarea bad,horrible headaches that would not go away ,depression ,no energy ,then i ended up with no appetite i ate nothing for awhole week couldnt sleep my chest hurt i had horrible extreme nervousness ,could not fall asleep for nothing i didnt know what was wrong but since stopping the levoxyl i have not had any type of fainting ,passingout or seizures ,all the symtons have all passed i still have some nervousness but its finally getting better i called her office friday and told her ***.i would not take the levoxyl or any type that has the same stuff in it i called the drugstore and was told that levothyroxine,synthyrold and levoxyl all have the same stuff in them only for me the levoxly was the worst she was suppose to test me for the tsi too but didnt she tested my tsh which was 6.42 my total t3-4 my free t3-4 and the tpo and the cortisol and said all was normal .well anytime i have a dose upped is when i start feeling horrible so i refuse to take the meds till they find the right one for me because i cant handle the side effects only this last one caused me to go hyper and its the most horrible exspreance ever ,i was so terrifed i thught i was going to die i though t because my heartrate was racing so fast i was going to have a heart attack ,i suffered for a week with these symtons and i thought by not taking them the effects would leave your body quicky not for me it took a week .it seems when ever i ask my drs to test me for certain things for the thyrold they look at me and its like saying hey im the dr let me be the judge of what needs done i have had 3 drs in the past 8 mos and its so frustrating because they wont listen to me ,i went to endo on thursday and she wouldnt change my brand of meds and wanted me to stay on the levoxyl well i wasnt taking anymore because me and husband both figured out my fainting and stuff was due from being on the wrong meds because so far i have not faited once in this past week and i been fainting,passingout and having seizures for 8 long mos and i told the ***.i was not going back on any type of meds that caused me to faint ,i know god helped me with this part i prayed everyday to please help me and he truly did because living with fainting ,passingout and seizures is no fun i stayed home and missed out on my kids activities because of it .so how do i go about asking them to test me for the tsi test iam due to see a internal medicine dr this week if i ask him will he test me for this i allways write down all my symtons and i want a dr who will listen to my symtons as well not just my labs and i allways thought a endo was good for treating thyrold but a internal medicine dr is good too arent they plus my endo said id prob be on the 50 mcgs for life and wouldnt need a higher dose since the 75mcgs were too much for my body to handle ...........vickie

Last edited by vickie45; 08-12-2007 at 06:01 AM.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY,

I have 110&#37; TSI on a scale of 110.. i also have raging Hashimoto's.. I am Hashitoxicosis.. so is my mom and her next sister in line Aunt B1.

Getting MDs to recognize it is difficult.. most do not say you have both.. most say you can not have both.. but my blood and ABs are not lying. The proof is in the red and print ing black ink.

Treatment? Well you can't really treat medicine wise easily because you don't know when you are going to be driven hyperT.. and it can happen. I go from 10% levels in the normal range on 50 mcgs to 290/190% of normal. Let me tell you it is a valid hyperT flare and it sucks. You have to drop back on meds.. and wait.. then HELLO HYPOT HADES.. then back to meds.. wait for it.. HYPERT again. *snort* Right now my pituitary is confused at 0.04 with my Ft4 10% and Ft3 54%. I have adrenal insufficiency so my FT3 will always run higher than my FT4. Up side.. my body is fine with a T4 supplement and I don't have to fight for one.

If you have trouble balancing your levels and you have Hashimoto's it is worth running the TSI test periodically.. even if it is just once a year. This way you can see if your AI is trying to by pass the destruction of the thyroid by mmicing TSH with TSI.

Overall Hashitoxicosis is real. Hashimoto's is going to win in the end, through destruction of the thyroid gland. No functional thyroid.. TSI become usless. So the choice you have to make is.. am I going to fight and wait through the years of thyroid TSI TPOAb war.. or am I going to eliminate the source of the issue and geet on with things. Right now I am want a TT and am working through my MDs to get one.

MG

Old 05-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

Mkg................If I understood her correctly,I think Elaine was saying that if you got your levels to optimal, that the TSI antibodies would decrease or go away. This seems to be the case with me. I got my levels up, not enough in my opinion, but I haven't had hyper sumptoms, anxiety attacks, and bp spikes in nearly a year. And I haven't checked my TSI antibodies again either. Also, a lot of my hypo symptoms have gone or gotten better.

Of course, my "TSH watcher", "top doc" dismissed the idea of hashitoxicosis or that TSI antibodies had anything to do with it, probably because it was not him that knew the answer to the problem, and now he says that I am over medicated and wants to reduce my med by 1/3. I just feel so much better and believe that Elaine knows more about what she is talking about than he does. The proof is in how much better I feel.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you get the thyroid to shut down and thus take it out of the loop.. yes antibody levels should deplete. however in the case of Graves antibodies.. they can wake up and flare at anytime. Some people have it worse than others. In my family those that have both graves and hashimoto's antibodies tend to have to get TTs because we can not regulate on meds. My family also does at least a yearly check on antibody status. When was the last time you had your hashimoto's ABs run. If it has been a while.. I would request a TSI and TPOAb run. It is always nice to see what your body is doing right now to itself. My TSI went down a whopping 10&#37; on meds.. we shall see if the decrease in the future.

MG

Closed Thread