It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

kasey55 HB User
Question Dr only tests --TSH

Hi
My Dr will only check the TSH. My last one was .99
I continue to have problems & requested the Dr test
the Free's also. No way! ---Dr states"TSH is in normal range"

Why? The TSH doesn't show the whole story. Can't convince
my Dr to test T4 or T3.
Now What?
New DR?
Thanks had to vent!
(History HyperT with toxic nodules. Surgery to remove right lobe
of thyroid in Jan.---now Hypo & taking .075mg Levothyroxine)
Thanks

Old 08-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User
Re: Dr only tests --TSH

Try this..

Ask your doctor why you do not need Cytomel.

And see if he says becaused your Free T3 is high enough. And of course he doesn't know if your Free T3 is high enough if he has never tested it!

Ask for copies of all your medical records too, including all lab reports and progress notes (that is what the doctor writes about you). By law, they have to give you copies of any medical records you ask for. This is new, a few years ago they didn't have to give you copies. They do now, itsn't that great!

I would (and have) left doctors who could not think outside the box.

The problem with T4 only meds is that if you take a high enough dose the TSH will get low and the T4 will get high, BUT the Free T3 will likely remain way too low & that is why so many people on T4 only meds don't feel normal or good!

I would find a new doctor. You need to interview them somehow to find one that test Free T3 and uses either Cytomel or Armour.

You could try to asking your pharmacist which doctors use Cytomel and Armour and go from there.

Don't give up. It really is crazy that your doctor doesn't know the new TSH "normal ranges" but it is not all that unusual.

Also, get your ferritin level checked. It is often low in people with hypothyroidism.

Last edited by GCC; 08-16-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2007, 07:45 AM   #3
(female)

kasey55 HB User

Thanks Guys
I did not know you could get copies of Dr notes. I will call and ask for them
along with the Labs.
I have great insurance, but
as you know the Dr has to order the labs. If all else fails I have to get a new
Dr and or try to get my own labs done outside of the Dr office.
Really-Really Helped!
Thanks Kasey

Last edited by Administrator; 08-18-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

kateinalaska HB User

Kasey,

We learn something new everyday It's good to have options...and it's good to have copies of your labs. Should you have to find a new doc (and from the sounds of it, you do) it's nice to have your medical history on file.

As for your doc, this is what I am thinking: you have a thyroid problem 2) you are taking meds and 3) still having symptoms...for crying out loud, you were not requesting your doctor for some far out, expensive test that had nothing to do with your symptoms/condition!

I think most everybody involved with this, has seen in range TSH with unfavorable Frees and in range Thyroid hormones and out of range anti bodies.

My now ex doctor was, in my opinion, cruel. Having had problems of some kind and after been given advice from other doctors (testing, based on my symptoms)-I brought this up to my doc. He would not test. Only a CBC and TSH. I asked him if I was going through perimenopause? Nope! I felt like I hit a brick wall because I have been unwell but he wouldn't bother testing and in asking him questions (could this x problem?) he'd reply, No.
Finally, about half a year later...I got him to test antibodies. He was peeved and essentially before handing me the orders, told me he thought I suffered from hypochondrias. Well, got the labs back with somewhat elevated TgAb.

1 1/2 months later, I went south and had my own labs drawn.
It was suggested to me back in Aug of 06 by an OB/GYN (online) that I should look at DHEA-S & Testosterone ( and 2 others, for which I couldn't get). Sure enough, I had elevated DHEA-S & Testosterone. Discovered I had elevated cholesterol to-boot.
I brought this back to my doc (a glutton for punishment?) and his last words, before I left the exam room was, "You don't suffer from an Endocrine/Metabolic problem." Unfortunately, we only have 3 doctors here and he was my #2.

Just recently, I went to a visiting Internist. Based on my briefly telling him my symptoms and showing him my labs, he thought and said that he thinks I've been dealing with thyroiditis (though, would not treat unless my hormones move out of range) and is suspecting P.C.O.S.

I think that maybe if my doctor would have just listened, ordered up the right tests...it would of spared quite abit of future time & grief.

I know that if this is my "story"...it's probably many others as well.

I hope you get to the bottom of your issues, Kasey.

Best,
~Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey55 View Post
Thanks Guys
I did not know you could get copies of Dr notes. I will call and ask for them
along with the Labs.
I also appreciate the info on Labs online. I have great insurance, but
as you know the Dr has to order the labs. If all else fails I have to get a new
Dr and or try to get my own labs done outside of the Dr office.
Really-Really Helped!
Thanks Kasey

Last edited by kateinalaska; 08-17-2007 at 04:42 PM.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
(female)

kasey55 HB User

Dr's believe they have all the power.
I would get better treatment from
a used car dealer. @ least when you
are a customer they want to talk to
you & answer your questions.
Dr's don't like to be questioned
or for a patient to do their own research.
Crap---now I'm getting myself mad all over again---------Kasey

Old 08-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

kateinalaska HB User

Kasey,

I do believe there are good doctors out there but I believe they are the exception, not the rule.

My recent visit with the Internist had asked if I had a computer. Of course I do. He then suggested I look into P.C.O.S.
One doc who doesn't have a problem with patient's researching. I think he is unusual.

I met one other good doctor (a "renegade" of sorts, considering my experience up against the mainstream) but again, I think they are unusual.

My now ex doctor...is just as you described. This is not right...at all!

Being mad can be good, depending on how we deal with it. Either we are pro-active and put it to work, for the good or we sucker into it and do nothing. I suckered into it, for a period and became depressed. Then, I stood up and did what I had to do. My thought is- trust your instincts.

~Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey55 View Post
Dr's believe they have all the power.
I would get better treatment from
a used car dealer. @ least when you
are a customer they want to talk to
you & answer your questions.
Dr's don't like to be questioned
or for a patient to do their own research.
Crap---now I'm getting myself mad all over again---------Kasey

Last edited by moderator2; 08-18-2007 at 09:29 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 08-18-2007, 06:29 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

RingItOn HB User

Actually I found that a good doctor appreciates that you have done some research and that you know your own lab numbers and your symptoms. it's the ones who feel insecure by your knowledge of your own body who don't like to be questioned.

It's your body - know as much as you can about it. Be your own best advocate. I had to do it even when I nearly died from being under treated. No one stepped in for me. And only because I had some records from another doctor was I able to put the pieces together and realize I was being under treated. And then I started to research the REAL correct doses for LT4 not the ones my former doctors had prescribed.

I finally have myself a team of great doctors after firing several.

It's best that you go to your doctor armed with information about your possible condition.

1. Keep a record of your tests.
2. Know your condition. Do the research and become an informed patient.
3. Know your symptoms and keep a journal.
4. Find a doctor who will listen and believe you.
5. Get a second opinion.
6. If you don't like a doctor, don't be afraid to fire them!
7. Remember you know your body and your symptoms. The doctor can only know the signs of a disease. So be prepared to fill in the missing pieces for the doctor. Together you'll complete the picture.

And yes there are good doctors out there.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-18-2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: posted commercial websites

Old 08-18-2007, 09:27 AM   #8
(female)

kasey55 HB User

Thanks
I just need to "buck up" & realize that I can.

As a small child I was very sick & spent time

in hospitals. I know a lot of my insecurity

comes from those experiences. In those days

no-one explained to a child why they were being

isolated from their family. No-one explained why

they were doing anything to you.

Wow brings back memories.
Kasey

Closed Thread