It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

sapphire5000 HB User
Smile Can someone recommend a good book on Hypothryroidism?

Anyone read a good book on hypothyroidism? Your recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User
Re: Can someone recommend a good book on Hypothryroidism?

The Thyroid for DUMMIES by Alan Rubin, also the great thyroid scandal and how to survive it by Dr Barry Durrant- Peatfield and the Thyroid Sourcebook by M.SARA ROSENTHAL.

I hope this helps...Mandy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
(female)

sapphire5000 HB User

Thanks, Mandy!!

Old 08-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
(female)

Luv2Travel HB User

I've been reading "Living Well with Hypothyroidism" by Mary Shomon. I'm not completely finished reading it, but so far it's been very informative. Mary isn't a doctor, but writes based on her experience as a thyroid patient turned advocate. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

No problem sapphire, I have also read living well with hypothyroidism, it is a good book ...How long have you had a thyroid problem!!

Old 08-18-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

i hear the book thyrold sulotions is a good book im waiting for it now someone told me that in chapter 9 is i have changed. its by ruben also im getting it at the library first and if i like it i can buy it at a book store for like 16.00
vickie

Old 08-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
(female)

sapphire5000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD MAZ;3162***
No problem sapphire, I have also read living well with hypothyroidism, it is a good book ...How long have you had a thyroid problem!!

Hi Maz,

I have not ever been sure that I even had a thyroid problem until recently when I had my t3 checked and it was below normal. I was put on Armour Thyroid about 3 years ago even though my thyroid blood tests were still in the normal range at that time. I had some hypothyroid symptoms, so I was put on the Armour Thyroid hoping to address these symptoms:

severe fatigue
relentless constipation
low basal temp 97.4- 97.8
low BP 80-90/55
low heart rate 45-60 beats per minute
cold and heat intolerance (more sensitive to heat than cold)

(note: I'm 47 years old)

I never could get above 7.5 mg on the Armour Thyroid due to angina-like symptoms as I increased the dose (pain in chest, jaw, arm) (I don't have heart problems), but I decided to stay on that low dose hoping it might help a little. For the first few weeks, it seemd the Armour helped a little, but then over the last 3 years I have gotten progressively worse. Depression, and sleeping/sleepiness during the day (this never happened before) and also much worsened fatigue. My doctor never checked my t3 till just recently. So now it's below normal, after having been on the Armour for these past years. Another member on this board suggested that the dose of Armour is so low it might have pushed the t3 below normal. But when I try to go off the Armour, I can't function..... I guess I need whatever t3 I'm now getting from the Armour. So now, instead, I'm trying to add Cytomel to get the t3 back into normal. I just started the Cytomel 2 days ago. Am waiting and hoping the t3 helps. I'm truly debilatated by this condition... can barely function a couple of hours a day. Now that the t3 is actually below normal, it seems I do have hypothyroid issues, but maybe I did before, based on the above symptoms.... I'm not sure. Do you know how long it takes for the Cytomel to have some noticeable effect?

Sapphire

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the book recommendations!

Last edited by sapphire5000; 08-18-2007 at 02:43 PM.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi as far as I know it works very fast, so you should start to notice a difference within the next few days T3 is very potent, I am of to bed now its getting late here...take care ...Mandy

Old 08-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
(female)

sapphire5000 HB User

Thanks, Mandy... take care...

Last edited by sapphire5000; 08-18-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Closed Thread