It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User
Low TSH levels...and I'm pregnant, any advice?

I just got a call from my Dr. today telling me my bloodwork results said my TSH ormone levels were very low. I don't know anything about the thyroid and what this means, but I am concerned because I am 11 weeks pregnant. Could it have anything to do with this? I just had one healthy pregnancy 2 yrs. ago with no thyroid problem and now I heard this and am concerned about what could possibly happen to me or my baby. Does it mean I will gain a lot fo weight and not be able to keep it off, or could it mean I will get really skinny and not be able to gain to a healthy weight? I am 5'1" and currently weigh 117 lbs. I haven't gained a single pound since being pregnant as I am still in the 1st trimester, I was just wanting to know...anything.

Any advice at all on this subject would be helpful as I am young and know nothing about it. Thanks

Old 08-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User
Re: Low TSH levels...and I'm pregnant, any advice?

During the first trimester of preganancy, there is a rise in a hormone called hCG. It's a pregnancy hormone. It peaks at the end of the first trimester. When the hCG is at it's peak, the TSH is at it's lowest. It's normal to see some reduction in TSH towards the end of the first trimester.

"Very low" isn't exactly what I'd expect to hear. Did they tell you the actual level and the lab reference ranges? It's something you should always ask. TSH levels in a normal pregnancy usually return to baseline level sometime in the middle of the second trimester.

Your thyroid hormone levels should be retested. TSH, Free T4 and Free T3. Antibody testing would also be appropriate. TSI and probably TPO. I'm saying this mainly cause you used the term "very low" when referring to the TSH level.

You can have a very normal pregnancy with a thyroid disorder. It's a matter of keeping a very close eye on things and working with your doctor to provide the best environment possible for the baby. It's something to stay on top of but not panic over.

BTW, congrats.

Take care,
Helen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Everything Helen said is correct. Sometimes in the next trimester it might correct itself till after your pregnancy, then you might need meds. If the doctor tests your blood every 4 weeks or so you should be fine. They'll know how your levels are, don't worry, if you have a good doc he'll watch it. Also he'll go by your symptoms, weight gain or loss, heart rate etc... Hyper thyroid you usually lose weight, but not always. Do you have symptoms?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:20 AM   #4
(female)

keria2007 HB User

HI

I am in my 3rd trimester of prenancy and have had a hypoT problem since I was 16. When I had my first child the levels were normal after the birth. Then with my second the levels got crazy. I have been on 300mcg for 16months then found out I was pregnant again with the third and thats when the TSH panel came back 31.191. Which they increase the dose to another 100mcg.

I have found that in most women that I have talked to about this issue have recoverd with no more signs or effects of a hyper or hypo thyriod.

If you can find out which way you went on your TSH panel you will be able to search it for info on what the effects of it has on the baby.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Look up three different disorders. Graves Disease, Hashitoxicosis, and Hashimoto's Disease. Thes are identified by the presence of the antibodies at certain levels given the TPOAb, TSI, and TRAb.

A low TSH tends to point to a hyperactive thyroid issue.. but with out further blood works and the antibody tests you will not be able to narrow down exactly what is going on. If you are hyper you will lose weight versus gain it. Unless you have Hashitoxicosis which is basically having Graves and Hashimoto's together. This is a difficulty one to diagnose because you literally shift between hyper and hypo states continually. Only the antibodies can tell you for sure if you have one of the major thyroid disorders. The tests can be completed in a weeks time and should be done for your health, the babies health, and general peace of mind.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 08-21-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

Thank you for your help! I am thinking I have likely had this for awhile as I am ALWAYS a tired person, even before pregnancy. It is starting to make sense now. I'm going to call my OB or talk to the consulting nurse so maybe she can let my Dr. know. I just went to my monthly appt. so I don't know if she'll want to see me sooner than mid-September or just wait until then. I kind of want another blood test just to see what happens and hopefully someone can explain what the results mean rather than just telling me they're low.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Talk to your OB. She can have all the tests run and should.

Good Luck.
MG

Closed Thread