It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
I think these results are normal....I wish I had something to BLAME this on!

The results are in and, I guess I really am a hypochondriac since everything seems to be in the normal range. Does anyone see ANYTHING weird with these numbers?
08/10
TSH .793 (.35-5.5)
Total T3 98 (85-205)

08/17
TSH 1.45 (.35-5.5)
FT3 310 (230-4 2 0)
FT4 .96 (.61-1.76)
TPO 21.8 (0-35)

Am I crazy?

Last edited by hopalong_too; 08-20-2007 at 09:50 PM.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User
Re: I think these results are normal....I wish I had something to BLAME this on!

Your FT3 is just below midrange. Your FT4 is definitely below midrange. While how people feel in relation to their FT levels seems to differ on an individual basis (most feeling better when the FTs are in the upper third of the range), you might bug your dr to try a trial of thyroid med anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about the TPO antibody level (apparently a lot of folks have *some* antibodies, even if they don't have an autoimmune thyroid disorder, myself included), but would want the doc to test your Tg antibodies. Don't know why he wouldn't test both.

I took the liberty of looking at some of your prior posts to get an idea of your symptoms. While you're textbook for hypoT, many of your symptoms could also be caused by things like Celiac or a nutritional deficiency. I'd suggest talking to your dr about getting a nutritional panel done, including B vitamins, vit D, and serum ferritin.

Believe me, I understand your frustration. I have a multinodular goiter, with the largest nodule being 4.7cm. According to the docs, all my thyroid tests are "normal", i.e. within range. Nevertheless, both my FreeT's are below midrange. Somethin' ain't right!

I had to chew up and spit out 3 drs before finding my current one. The endo blamed all my symptoms on perimenopause. If I'd listened to them, I'd have half a thyroid, probably be on thyroid meds for the rest of my life, and still not know why I felt so bad.

It wasn't until I got to a holistic MD that other things were tested and it turns out I was both iron and vit D deficient, in addition to having adrenal fatigue, which explained a lot of my symptoms. Was also dx'd with a lot of heavy metals in my system. Since being on a vitamin and mineral supplement protocol, I feel a lot better.

Keep fighting! Get mad! Educate yourself and learn to read your own test results. It's *your* health and you are your own best advocate!

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: I think these results are normal....I wish I had something to BLAME this on!

Hoppy.... There is no such thing as "completely normal" when it comes to thyroid testing. There is no black and white, and it takes a smart MD to interpret them with a critical eye instead of pronouncing everything "normal" and whipping out a script for an antidepressant. Most of them refuse to go to the trouble of thinking outside the TSH box. When I look at your results, I don't see "completely normal" at all. Just because one MD doesn't see the same thing doesn't mean you are a hypochondriac... so forget that notion altogether. Instead of blaming yourself for feeling bad, blame him for being too lazy to figure out why!

Without turning this answer into a gothic novel, here are some things you have to consider:

TSH's only job is to be a signal hormone which tells the thyroid gland to get busy and make more of its own hormones. TSH contributes nothing to making you feel bad or good. The thyroid hormones - T4 and T3 - are the ones that regulate metabolism and cell function in every system in the body. When there isn't enough T4/T3 in circulation, symptoms appear. T4/T3 are the hormones that keep you well.

When T4/T3 are below the middle of their lab ranges, like yours are, a person can have multiple symptoms. Even though below-normal levels of these hormones are considered "normal" because they're still within the range, it does NOT mean they're "normal" for YOU.
Think about it like this: The women's "normal" range of shoe sizes is 6-10. You surely wouldn't be comfortable in a size 6 if your foot measures an 8, would you? The same goes for T4/T3... if you're like most people and need your levels to be above mid-range or higher to feel well, you certainly won't feel well if those levels are sitting at the bottom of their ranges.

Also... You have TPO antibodies. Yes, they're in range now, but they may be on the rise. It's true that some folks have a small titer of TPO antibodies and feel completely well. The small number of antibodies is apparently "normal" for them. The vast majority of healthy folks, however, have a TPO count below 2. This means that a small number of antibodies can sometimes be "normal", but most often, no antibodies at all is normal.

You also need to have your Tg antibodies measured. These two types of antibodies - TPO and Tg, separately or together - are the most common cause of thyroid failure in industrialized nations. You might find that your Tg antibodies are through the roof. Together with that small titer of TPO, that would confirm that you have Hasimoto's thyroiditis and are headed for thyroid failure.

You have --
a) low-normal T4/T3,
b) thyroid symptoms, and
c) thyroid antibodies.
I've said this to you before, but here it is again so that it sinks in ~ There are more MDs around than ever before who are willing to treat low-normal T4/T3, even before TSH rises out of range, if there are thyroid antibodies present. The progression to full-blown hypoT is common, and they feel that treating sooner rather than later can prevent goiter and alleviate symptoms. Holistic doctors and osteopaths seem to be the most sympathetic to a treat-sooner approach than mainstream MDs.

If your doctor is not intent to find out why you don't feel well, find a better one! They're out there... but you might have to kiss many frogs before finding your thyroid prince.

But if you don't have the option of switching doctors, or the energy to do it, at least have them keep a regular check on your T4/T3 and antibodies in the near and distant future, because I would bet they'll get worse. I think you're headed for thyroid trouble that will eventually be obvious to even a stupid MD.

That's it. I'm all talked out.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I sit here...tears streaming....so happy that someone understands that there MIGHT be a problem! Thank you!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Well I am fighting to get diagnosed as well. My TPOAb's were high indicating a disorder, but my MD refused to do the TSI and TRAb needed to determine which disorder. Why? There wasn't a blank to check off on his blood work form. What is wrong with writing it in? Humm? Pure laziness.

Well with my family history of maternal dominance of Graves, Hashimoto's, and Hashitoxicosis (mom and three of here four sisters (2 Graves, 1 hashitoxicosis, and 1 hashimoto's)); I found that unacceptable. My husband and I are considering a second child, but my first pregnancy almost killed me. I was in the hospital for 6 weeks after my son was born and began having serious issues 4.5 months into my pregnancy. Ever since I have been plagued by a mixture of hypo/hyper symptoms and no one thought to check my thyroid until my new high risk OB thought I should before having another child. I am looking forward to my appointment with a brand new endocrinologist.

So you are not alone. Keep kicking them in the pants til you get your answers.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 08-21-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

To Midwest and Gcc and Accessn12 and Nyxie63 and all others who tried to help! I just got the letter from the doctor's office. I already knew the results. They are the ones I posted previously. Thank you to all of you for trying to make me feel normal. I am totally at the bottom here and ready to give up. The letter says, "Here are the results of your MORE EXTENSIVE thyroid testing. As you can see every test is NORMAL and THERE IS NO EVIDENCE of antibodies against your thyroid gland. Please make an appt. to discuss other options to see if we can help to make you feel better." Apparently the TPO result is not out of line at 21.8 (0-35). I am starting to believe that as I am reading about people with it in the 100's and 1000's!

UGH! I ordered the whole slew of blood tests from online. I think I am supposed to wait for the requisition in the mail. I hope it doesn't take long. I don't know either how long it takes for them to email results. I ordered everything....why not....it's only money, right? I just wish that we could get the GREAT negotiated rate that the insurance companies get. I'LL give IT ONE MORE SHOT! I ordered: T3 Uptake, T4 Total, T7, TSH, Free T3, Free T4, Tg antibodies, TPO antibodies AND Ferritin! I guess I will just go with the "hypochondriac" diagnosis if there is nothing drastic! Thanks again to all of you for your support!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:49 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Hoppy,
You should save your money and not order T3 uptake, T4 total, and T7. They won't tell you anything important. The first two tests don't tell much and are only done as two steps which arrive at the T7. The T7 is just an estimate of the "real" FT4. As in most things in life, an estimate is never as good as a genuine measurement.

Closed Thread