It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

Sister HB UserSister HB User
Calcified Thyroid

What does a "calcified thyroid" mean? Thank you.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Calcified Thyroid

I don't know for sure, but I'll take a stab at it in case no one else has a definite answer.

Here's the text you wrote copied from the thread where you asked the question originally:
Quote:
Hi - can you tell me if it's possible to have a "calcified thyroid" without a nodule? An ER doctor told me I have a "calcified thyroid" but I've been seeing an endocrinologist once a year for several years because I have hypothyroidism. He just feels my thyroid for any changes and orders a blood test. He told me years ago after an ultrasound that I have no nodule. Should I wait til Dec. for my yearly appt. or should I call my endo about what this other dr. said?? Thanks for opinions.
I did some researching and found references mostly to "calcified" nodules. I've never heard of, nor found any reference to, a totally calcified gland. What I believe may have happened is that the ER doctor, who may be an intern or resident [translated, "newbie" doc], may have used a non-medical word in an attempt to describe to you what he perceived as a tough, harder-than-normal gland. Glands that have been under attack by autoantibodies for several years - which is the most common cause of hypothyroidism - change drastically in texture. I'm thinking this is what the ER doctor meant... but of course, I'm only guessing.

I doubt it's any kind of emergency and think it can probably wait till your next checkup. However, if there was any mention of a "calcified nodule" by the ER doc, you should probably go in sooner.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Calcified Thyroid

I'm not sure if I can quote this but I try anyway
"Calcification within the thyroid gland may occur in both benign and malignant thyroid disease, and its detection on ultrasonography is frequently dismissed by many clinicians as an incidental finding of little significance. As a tertiary referral center, most of our thyroid patients will have had thyroid ultrasonography before being referred to us, and in our experience, the incidence of malignancy in a thyroid nodule containing calcification seems to be higher than that in the average thyroid nodule." (Wiley Inter Science)

Last edited by FinnMaid; 08-29-2007 at 04:21 AM.

Closed Thread