It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
(female)

gradstudent09 HB User
Hashimoto's, Vit. D deficiency, and hormonal imbalance

I am increasingly convinced that use of fake hormones (i.e., oral contraceptives in my case) threw my system so out of whack that now in my 40's I'm suffering the effects and a diagnosis of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

Fortunately, I have a good endocrinologist who discovered through my routine blood tests that I am severely deficient in vitamin D and prescribed a megadose over a 12 week period to get me up to proper levels. This is especially important for women.

Concurrently, I am battling adult hormonal acne. (One of the reasons I took the pill for so long.) Since I am highly suspicious of hormones, I have put up with the acne in recent years. My derm just prescribed Spironolactone, however, which is an adrenal receptor blocker. I've noticed my breasts are more tender-- concerned! As this means it's affecting my hormone balance.

Neither my endocrinologist, gynecologist, or dermatologist (all women) have shown too much concern for drug interaction and long or short term effects on the endocrine system. This wakes me up at night!

Otherwise, I am in great health and physically vigorous. Anyone else concerned about these health issues that seem to plague women?

Old 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hashimoto's, Vit. D deficiency, and hormonal imbalance

I'm highly suspicious of Big Pharma and its catering to physician's interests, so I heartily resist the prescription of anything that alters my body's chemistry. I will take nothing that's been marketed for less than 10-15 years. Probably would only take something if it were a literal lifesaver.

Other than that, I have no real answers for you. Except one.... I'm 57 and have had worse acne in my latter years than even when I was 15. Never tried prescription drugs for it, but nothing else much helped with it. Recently, my MD talked me into giving fish oil capsules another try. (Earlier attempts caused those awful 'fish burps' that I couldn't tolerate.) I stuck it out this time... learning how to take it to avoid most of the burping. During the first month of taking it, my skin got worse as the impurities worked their way to the surface; after that, it has been far better. Skin is far less greasy and clogged pores fewer.
Do you take fish oil or some other good source of omega-3s?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I have used flaxseed oil. Flaxseed oil is much better than the fish oil tab's in my opinion. Acid reflux had me tasting the fish tabs for hours.. sometimes days after I would take them. The flaxseed oil you can use in homemade salad dressings and such. Smells good to.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 08-31-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Hey folks- I also have hashi's, vit d deficiency and iron deficiency, and osteoporosis . Yes all the hormonal stuff scares the heck out of me as well and makes me wonder. I am quite concerned about the hormones in food- meat , poultry and dairy products. As far as the hashi's goes, I am back to a stable situation for now- after doing some yo yoing due to introduction of iron supplementation and then stopping iron supplementation. I need to get the ferritin levels checked again soon, to see if gain is holding. I am working on the vit d and have shown improvement. Oh-just for anyone newly dealing with iron or vit d deficiency these things take time to remedy- It doens't happen just when you start the supplements. It will probably , at least in my experience , take a few months. And then you have to watch it. And, the iron supplement will probably cause you to have to go to a higher synthroid dose for the duration of treatment. And then back down after. See thyroid book for dummies if you have to iron supplement. I wonder about the connection between iron deficiency and hypothyroid- it seems very common.

Regarding fish oil. I have found a formula with no burps. Also it is flavored with lemon and it is supposed to be very pure. It is called ultimate omega from nordic naturals. I think I have seen other flavored fish oils as well. The one that I get is the capsule- so you really don't get the lemon. Every once in a while- I get a little taste of lemon. Not a problem compared to yucky fish burps- I couldn't stand that. My pcp and opthamologist(for dry eye and eye health) both mentioned fish oil to me on my last visits. It seems that mainstream docs have really gotten this message . I was surprised.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
(female)

gradstudent09 HB User

How much fish oil do you take daily? Have you gone through menopause, and if so, did you notice any change in your acne?

Old 08-31-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

I don't know if you are asking me this question. But, I do not have acne. Never really did. I certainly have my share of other stuff now. Anyway, I take two of the ultimate omega a day. I have read alot about the benefits of fish oil. As I feel that I have been through medical hell the past year, I am trying to do what I can for wellness. I am through meno and am 54. Also really watching my d for both my osteoporosis and hashimoto's hypo. I have read that vit d is helpful with regard to autoimmune disorders , bone health , depression, mental illness etc. About the acne it seems that you are seeing a whole host of docs now, I wonder if a naturopath might be helpful with the acne.I have never been to a naturopath, but I wish I had gone some time ago. There are things that the mainstream docs don't say. For example, I have read about the benefits of selenium in hashimoto's hypothyroid. Apparently selenium daily can reduce the tpo antibodies. If you are interested check pubmed articles searching selenium and you will find the research. Also my docs did not adequately dose me on vit d. and it took me awhile to figure this out. If you are interested in vit d info checkvitamin d council on the net. I feel that if I had gone to a naturopath , a year ago when my health situation got bad, that I would have been told about the selenium and adequate vit d and my iron would have been tested earlier. Of course, this is all second guessing on my part. But from what people say, naturopaths seems more involved in getting the nutritional aspects straightened out and following up on basic wellness. The regular docs just don't seem so into this stuff which is I think very impt.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I'm 57 now, had my last period at age 45 - rather early. My skin has gotten a lot greasier in the "T-zone" during the past 3 years or so. A shiny film would reappear on my forehead and nose within an hour after washing. My chin was the worst area on my face, full of bumps and blackheads with occasional cystic pimples during stressful times. The fish oil seems to have moderated the oil output, and I no longer have those chin bumps. My biggest hope is that this isn't a fluke period of improvement and that the benefit of the omega-3 will continue.

My doc recommends Orthomega brand, which contains *** mg EPA and 300 mg DHA - 2 capsules a day. Even though the label says "burpless", they haven't been totally that for me. I've learned that the worst of the burps happens if I take them with food, so I take one in mid-morning on an empty stomach. Then I pop a piece of sugarless gum. I might then get only 1 or 2 extremely mild burps, which the gum flavor disguises. I can live with that. I pop the second cap at bedtime; if a burp happens, I'm asleep and don't care.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:47 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Osteoblast,
I can't agree with you enough about seeing a naturopath or other alternative health practitioner. Since they treat differently, they also tend to think differently than conventional drs. They actually want to *cure* us. I'm currently seeing a holistic MD and absolutely adore him.

Back in April and May, the fatigue was so bad it took a supreme effort of will just to stand up from a sitting position. There were a whole host of other things going on as well. I was miserable! I was seeing an ENT and an Endo. Since my thyroid tests were normal, the Endo was saying all my symptoms were from perimenopause. She wouldn't test anything to find out why I was so tired and in such pain, and also wouldn't test my hormones to see if I was actually going through perimenopause. I was on 3/4 grain of Armour (to try to shrink my nodules, not for my symptoms) and it wasn't doing anything. Literally. I felt no changes one way or the other. Something wasn't right and both drs were completely disregarding my symptoms.

I found the holistic MD through several different lists of recommended drs. Figured if his name kept coming up, that was a good thing. He spent nearly 2 hours talking with me at the first appt - symptoms, medical history, family medical history, physical exam, etc. After the first round of testing, it was found that I had iron deficiency (ferritin was 7), vit D deficiency (13), low copper, high levels of heavy metals, and borderline adrenal fatigue. No wonder I was so tired and the Armour wasn't working. If I'd had the energy, I'd have been a-hootin' and a-hollerin' for joy! Finally, not only did someone care enough to listen, but they knew enough from the symptoms to test me for something. And found it! All follow up appts have lasted at least 45 minutes, where he sits down and goes over test results with me - item by item, any changes in how I feel, and recommendations for treatment.

I've been on a nutrition plan and a supplement protocol for 2 months now. Energy level is better. Mental symptoms are better. Most of the pain is gone. And I haven't had a single headache since starting all this. I used to get 1-2 headaches (migraine, tension, icepick, etc) a week, sometimes lasting for 3 days, so that's really saying something! I've since dumped StupidEndo and only use the ENT to schedule ultrasounds and FNAs.

Have I mentioned that I absolutely adore my holistic MD?

Last edited by Nyxie63; 09-01-2007 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Can't speel fer nuthin' today

Old 09-01-2007, 04:52 AM   #9
(female)

Myth HB User

some fish oils have citric oil added to them to disguise the fishy smell but it doesnt stop the burps.
next time you go to the health food store ask for fish oil which is enteric coated ,that means it is not able to be digested in the stomache but in the small intestine and there is absolutely no burps

hope this helps

Old 09-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the advice, Myth. But I have tried the enteric coated ones without any better success than the 'regular' gelatin ones. Didn't work for my DH, either. I think this is one of those things where different things work better for different people. It's worth experimenting to find something that works, though, because the benefit is so great.

So many people find that burp so nasty ... to me it's like swallowing aquarium water from a dirty tank ... Maybe manufacturers will eventually find something to completely solve that problem for everybody.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:05 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

osteoblast HB User

Nyxie-thank you for sharing you experience with the holistic MD. It's amazing your other docs weren't testing you for the ferritin and the vit d. But it's not a surprise to me. I really don't understand how docs just bypass that stuff especially when you have told them about your fatigue etc. So now, I will expand the search for either a naturopath or holistic md. I am glad you mentioned this because I think I am going to find that my insurance is not going to cover the naturopath. I wish I could find someone like Dr. Andrew Weil, I guess he qualifies as a holistic md. The holistic approach seems to make much more sense to me. Again, thanks for sharing.
If the fish oil burps are getting to people, be sure to try nordic naturals, then you want have to feel that you are drinking water from an aquarium-YUCK!!!You don't have to suffer through the fishy tasting burps- maybe your results will differ but I have not had any fish burps.

Old 09-03-2007, 04:59 PM   #12
(female)

gradstudent09 HB User

Thank you all for the fish oil testimonials, and one more question! Is it better to get a formulation w/ both Omega-3 and Omega-6 or just Omega-3?

Old 09-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

From what I've read, the average American already gets about 10 times too much omega-6 in her diet, so I don't worry about that. My brand of fish oil contains only omega-3s. It's the one recommended by my MD, so he apparently doesn't believe it's important to supplement the 6s.

More important is to research the brand you intend to buy. You want it to be free of mercury and other contaminants. Some discount manufacturers are not cooperative about revealing their refining methods and contaminant content. Just do your homework.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-04-2007 at 05:32 AM.

Closed Thread