It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
(female)

Dumossa HB User
Graves disease and bad chest pain, are they related?

Hi all,
I'm new to here and looks to be a very good site, I have been reading everyone else's problem but can't find one relating to mine.
I've been diagnosed with Graves about two months ago, apparently I have had it for years, it just kept itself hidden and have been feeling pretty horrible for quite a while , I am on a few different meds now to keep me stable. I am waiting to see an endo next month regarding a rai drink, I'm all for it ( just want to get rid of this thyroid).
Anyway, I have been having trouble with chest pain, enough so, to get an ambulance twice because it was thought to be a heart attack, after hours of examinations, the doctors could not find anything wrong,I think they thought I was a bit neurotic, very frustrating!
I have read somewhere that hyperthyroidism can cause all sorts of problems, including stomach pain because of the acid increase, which I have as well. Has anyone else with Graves had any chest problems in the upper chest and upper abdomen region, what is it called, and how is it treated?
Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.
Dumossa

Old 09-08-2007, 04:05 AM   #2
(female)

5han HB User
Re: Graves disease and bad chest pain, are they related?

I'm not sure about the relation but for a few years I mistook heartburn/indigestion/gas pains in my upper left chest area for actual heart pain. I thought it was heart related, but try and see if its after you eat something or when you're laying down or something. It's a very strange pain, almost as if you're 100% certain its your heart, but it may not be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Hi there~
I also was DX'd with Grave's and last Feb took the RAI... I have horrid pain in chest area. I have also had numerous ER trips, ambulance, reg dr, cardiologist, tests, EKG's, treadmill, 30 day holter monitor, bubble study of heart, sonogram of heart.. I think basically every test for the heart besides actually going in there to look at it!! And never have been able to find anything wrong with heart. My pain in mid center, sternum area and right side pain. I even had gallbladder removed last Dec and still no relief. I had EXTENSIVE adhesions as well and am actually beginning to think I still have adhesions that are wrapped around something causing this pain..

I have had the Costochondritis DX as well as GERD etc... I have had the scope done twice and the only thing they found was duodenitis in small bowel area. I am on meds for that. But the chest pain is still there everyday. Day and night..

I do know that Grave's disease can cause chest pains. ANd meds should help it once u get to your optimal level. But I just don't believe mine is thyroid related anymore since it never goes away now for over a year. Constant pain.

Thyroid disease can cause digestive problems though as it can either slow down or speed up our digestive tracts and cause all kinds of stomach and digestive issues..

Hope u find some answers soon!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #4
(female)

Dumossa HB User

Thanks for your replies.
I also have had my gallbladder out five years ago and thats when the chest pain started getting more painful and more frequent, they tend to come on when lying down, but when I sit up the pain is relieved slightly, I'm seeing my doctor in a couple of days for my results of a ct scan of my thyroid and I think they did my upper chest, so I might get some answers, fingers crossed.
Katkatdd, you poor thing, how do you manage everyday with that pain, I get it every so often and thats bad enough. Good luck and I hope you find some relief soon.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
(female)

Tamara07 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumossa View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to here and looks to be a very good site, I have been reading everyone else's problem but can't find one relating to mine.
I've been diagnosed with Graves about two months ago, apparently I have had it for years, it just kept itself hidden and have been feeling pretty horrible for quite a while , I am on a few different meds now to keep me stable. I am waiting to see an endo next month regarding a rai drink, I'm all for it ( just want to get rid of this thyroid).
Anyway, I have been having trouble with chest pain, enough so, to get an ambulance twice because it was thought to be a heart attack, after hours of examinations, the doctors could not find anything wrong,I think they thought I was a bit neurotic, very frustrating!
I have read somewhere that hyperthyroidism can cause all sorts of problems, including stomach pain because of the acid increase, which I have as well. Has anyone else with Graves had any chest problems in the upper chest and upper abdomen region, what is it called, and how is it treated?
Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.
Dumossa
Hi Dumossa, Yes, with hyperthyroidism you will have chest pain and it does affect your heart and lung muscles. You will get heart palpitations and have chest pain because your lung muscles are weak. It is all related to hyper, your symptoms. Try Anti-thryoid drugs first, and if you smoke quite, and eat well, and eliminate stress which is the number one problem with Graves. I had the same problems and thought I was having a heart attack, could breath, and woke up in the middle of sleep gasping like my heart stopped. Try not to drink pop or any stimulants. Don't take any Benedryl as it stimulates the thryoid and do decongestants. Just a few things I have learned with this disease. Good luck to you! Tamara

Closed Thread