It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
Slow healing wound

I know not ALL my issues are thyroid related, but it seems that since becoming hypothyroid it makes it so easy to wonder what is related. My latest issue are some scratches I got on my arms that did not seem to heal real quickly. The first one was a few months back and fairly deep and it did take quite a while to heal and has left a scar. More recently I got another scratch, not as deep and it seems to be slow to heal as well. It scabbed over as usual but now the scab is gone and it seems to be welted up and a bit tender. Maybe this is because it is closer to my hand and more prone to dirt and infection, or because it is close to my watch which can rub on it or maybe just because I'm getting older. Just does not seem right, and I was wondering if anyone out there noticed they had minor wounds that did not heal as quickly.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Slow healing wound

I've always healed slowly, most likely because I am a fair and thin-skinned redhead, I think. I still have a scar on my shin where I banged it with a heavy flower pot in April.
I believe slow-healing can be related to hypoT, but I don't think it is in my case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

I had some testing done last year and found out I was very low in zinc (among other things).

I researched zinc and found out it is one of the many nutrients & minerals needed for proper wound healing.

Are you taking a milti vitamen with 100 % RDA of minerals too? That might help.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
(female)

bittygirl HB User

How strage,
I have slow healing wounds to. Last year i burned my self on the cooking sheet and I still have a very visibal scar. i also got light cat scratches on my wrist and hand and I can still see them and that was about 4 months ago. Very weird.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:54 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Midwest - that is what made me wonder if it is hypo related. I think I've always healed pretty quickly until recently. Of course I will be 40 soon as well and I's sure as you age it does take longer to heal.

GCC - I do not take a multi-vitamin. I carry a single gene for hemochromatosis which means I have a tendency to have too much iron and it is hard to find a vitamin without iron. I have found some but they seem to still upset my stomach so I've been taking several supplements individually. Fish Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, B-12. I did read where lack of zinc and Vitamin C could cause healing issues so I might try to add them to my list.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
(female)

Clarissa234 HB User

I have experience with slow healing wounds. I had a cyst removed in January - before I knew about or had begun treatment for my hypothyroid. That excision took a while to heal, was very tender and painful, and the whole surgery was somewhat more unpleasant than I remember it being a few years prior.

In May, I had a second, same size cyst removed from an inch to the left of the original surgery. This second surgery was about 8 weeks into my thyroid treatment, and my labs were headed in the right direction. This surgery was nothing like the first. Very easy, no reaction to the lidocaine or the epinephrine. The would healed quickly and without pain. I didn't even need the pain medication that I had definitely needed in January. I think it was my improved thyroid labs that made this second surgery and healing go so much easier than the first.

I think it's definitely feasible that hypothyroid condition can cause slowed healing of the skin, especially if you have Hashimoto's. If your immune system is not functioning properly, the whole process of healing cannot possibly be functioning at its optimum.

Based on my experience, my plan is to plan surgeries, as much as possible, for when I know my labs are closer to where they need to be.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Clarissa - did you have ovarian cysts removed? I got one of those now too! I did feel that my meds are optmized so don't know why my wounds would be slow to heal.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

Vitamans for women over 50 (post-menopausal) & vitamans for men usually do not have iron in them. Check for minerals like selenium, zinc, magnesium, etc.
: )

Old 09-19-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks GCC. The last vitamin I tried was for "mature adults" and my hubby reminded me I have not yet reached 40 yet. Unfortunately it still gave me a tummy ache so I decided it was not worth it.

Closed Thread