It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
(female)

SUEMCC45 HB User
Thyroid Disorder And Drug Issues

Is There Much Of A Difference In Terms Of Effectiveness With Using Synthroid Vs. Levothroid? Is One More Effective Than The Other? Are There Are Common Reasons To Switch From One To The Other??

Thank You

Old 09-20-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User
Re: Thyroid Disorder And Drug Issues

I have taken most of them and found them to keep my TSH levels very consistent.

I took Levothroid for years and years but there was a period of time when it was taken off the market. At that point, I was switched to Synthroid and my TSH never changed.

I recently found out that I am allergic to one of the inactive ingredients in Synthroid (povidone) so I was switch to Levoxyl which does not contain povidone. I just had my follow up TSH after being on Levoxyl for 2 months and it was the same as when I used the other medications.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Thyroid Disorder And Drug Issues

In your Synthroid, Levothroid, Levoxyl.. the thyroxine hormone concentration is standardized and thus the same give same strength medications. The differences are in the fillers or inert or inactive ingrediants. IF one does not work as well as another for you.. you most likely have issues with a filler or inactive ingrediant.

This is extra information on performance and fillers in the common T4 supplements, feel free to ignore it.
Levothroid stats: Pharmacokinetics
Absorption
Bio-availability is 48% to 79%. Fasting increases absorption.
Fillers and inert listings are not available in the data base, but I am sure that the individual lots have specified documentation.

Synthroid stats:Pharmacokinetics
Absorption Absorption of orally administered T4 from the gastrointestinal (GI) tract ranges from 40% to 80%.The relative bio-availability of Synthroid tablets, compared to an equal nominal dose of oral levothyroxine sodium solution, is approximately 93%.

Synthroid varies inactive ingredients greatly depending on dosage of T4. The standard fillers are acacia, confectioner's sugar (contains corn starch), lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, povidone, and talc. Variable fillers:
Strength (mcg) Color additive(s)
25 FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake
50 None
75 FD&C Red No. 40 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake
88 FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake, D&C Yellow No. 10 Aluminum Lake
100 D&C Yellow No. 10 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake
112 D&C Red No. 27 & 30 Aluminum Lake
125 FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red No. 40 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake
137 FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake
150 FD&C Blue No. 2 Aluminum Lake
175 FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake, D&C Red No. 27 & 30 Aluminum Lake
200 FD&C Red No. 40 Aluminum Lake
300 D&C Yellow No. 10 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake
Many people with dye allergies have issues with synthroid.

Levoxyl stats: Pharmacokinetics
Absorption– Orally administered T4 from the gastrointestinal (GI) tract has an oral absorption range from 40% to 80%. The relative bioavailability of Levoxyl® tablets, compared to an equal nominal dose of oral levothyroxine sodium solution, is approximately 98%. So this has the best comparitive bioavailability of the three.

Fillers here are:
Microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium and magnesium stearate. The following are the coloring additives per tablet strength:
Strength (mcg) Color additive(s)
25 FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake
50 None
75 FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake, D&C Red No. 30 Aluminum Lake
88 FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake, D&C Yellow No. 10 Aluminum Lake
100 FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake, D&C Yellow No. 10 Aluminum Lake
112 FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Red No. 40 Aluminum Lake, D&C Red No. 30 Aluminum Lake
125 FD&C Red No. 40 Aluminum Lake, D&C Yellow No. 10 Aluminum Lake
137 FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake
150 FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake, D&C Red No. 30 Aluminum Lake
175 FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake, D&C Yellow No. 10 Aluminum Lake
200 D&C Red No. 30 Aluminum Lake, D&C Yellow No. 10 Aluminum Lake
300 FD&C Yellow No. 6 Aluminum Lake, FD&C Blue No. 1 Aluminum Lake, D&C Yellow No. 10 Aluminum Lake
Dye issues can arise here as well. The 50 mg tablet can be used with dye sensitive individuals.

All have these stats.. due to the common active ingredient and its effects. T4 absorption is increased by fasting, and decreased in mal-absorption syndromes and by certain foods such as soybean infant formula and nutritional supplements. Dietary fiber decreases bio-availability of T4. So for optimum absorption you should take you medication first thing in the morning and let it settle for 30 minutes - 1 hour before eating something.. also avoid taking any other medications or vitamins in a four hour window about the T4 med.
Elimination The half life is 6 to 7 days for T 4 in your system.
Overdosage Symptoms to look for: Symptoms of hyperthyroidism: headache, irritability, nervousness, sweating, tachycardia, increased bowel motility, menstrual irregularities, palpitations, vomiting, psychosis, seizure, fever, angina pectoris, CHF, shock, arrhythmias, thyroid storm.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 09-20-2007 at 06:22 AM.

Closed Thread