It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
(female)

11laura11 HB User
Unhappy Can you live a normal life span without a thryoid? (More)

Okay, I will try to keep this brief. Last February, I had my entire thryoid removed due to a small papillary cancer nodule on my thyroid that had not spread or anything. I did NOT have to have RAI. That time was such a blur to me, all I heard was the word "cancer" and have a TT. So, I did. I am on replacement hormone. I got pregnant in March, the following month. "planned". So, now I am 7 months pregnant, 37. My TSH is .65. I am having heart palpitations, hot flashes. My endo wants to keep me suppressed, but my OB GYN wants me normal for the pregnancy. So, here are all my question:

#1 Can you live a normal lifespan without a thyroid and on meds? All I can think about is now I have lost an important organ and what if the meds don't work for the rest of my life at some point? What if the meds affect my life span? What if my thyroid did something more important than the doctors know about that the replacement meds can not replicate?

#2 Are my heart palpitations from being pregnant, or hyper or my one cup of tea in the morning in combo with my thyroid meds? I did not think .65 was hyper, but I feel it!

#3 Am I at danger while being a little hyper and delivering my baby? Should I go up to a more normal level for my delivery? I am so afraid that I am going to have a heart attack during delivery if I am a little hyper....

Thank you so much for your help!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Can you live a normal life span without a thryoid? (More)

The answer to your question is NO. Never go without your thyroid replacement. I have no idea what your Endo is thinking but I would listen to your Gyn...he seems to have more experience in these matters.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

birchtree HB Userbirchtree HB User

AnnD - I think she meant no thyroid with meds. It sounds like shes definitely taking her replacement meds.

11laura11,

Answer is yes, you can live a normal life span without a thyroid - people have been doing it for YEARS. Just take care of yourself, listen to your symptoms, etc.

At least I hope so - I don't have a thyroid either.

Congrats on your pregnancy - I keep hearing that it's very difficult after thyroid issues but here you are....that's wonderful!!

You should talk to your endo and gyn about the heart palps, though.

good luck and please keep us posted
B

Old 10-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
(female)

Molly93 HB User

Hey,

My father had his thyroid removed in 1966.. he is still fine.. he wakes up .. takes his pill and forgets about it..

Molly

Old 10-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

My surgeon, on the board of the thyroid cancer association says that if there are 2 siblings, one who had thyroid cancer under 40, and the other not, the one who had the cancer will actually outlive the other sibling......in other words, thyroid cancer survivors can live as long as anyone else.

My friend's mom had thyroid cancer at 40, now she's 79 and going strong.

If I were you, I'd consider a reproductive endocronologist to manage the thyroid levels during pregnancy, they are good at that.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

My mother had her thyroid out at age 48 due to cancer......she lived to 74 and died from heart problems. She took Armour forever and never seemed to have any problem..........Hope that helps..... she lived a normal life............Oleander

Old 10-01-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

My Great grandmother had her grape fruit sized groiter removed when she was in her sixties and liver to 98.

My Great aunt had hers out for Graves.. she is 93.. and still kicking.

My mother is 61 and still kicking as are her younger sisters.

SO I would say yes.. if you catch it and manage it.. you can live long with it.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 10-01-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

This question struck me particularly ~
Quote:
... what if the meds don't work for the rest of my life at some point?
There is no way they can stop working. Thyroid meds are exact duplicates of the hormones your own gland would make if you had one. They don't alter any of the body's functions the way blood pressure meds or cholesterol-lowering meds do. They simply replace the hormone your body no longer makes with a duplicate of it that's been created in a lab or extracted from animal thyroid glands.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Dito on Midwest's post.. the med's will not stop working.. what may happen is that the drug company changes the fillers inducing and intolerance for you.. but there is a wonderous variety in T meds out there.. you can just go to another one.. or if things really get bad with filler and inert ingrediant allergies you can always have you med's compounded at a special phamacy with the bare minimum of components.

Also you metabolic needs may change over the year as time goes by.. you have etoo keep up with your routine care and keep checking you TSH when it applies and FT3 and FT4 routinely. If not your med's may seem to stop working because your body demand shifts. So yes once on medication for life you are going to have to manage it. Keep up with changes in the drug formulation.. find the best one and concentrations for you and make sure your needs are met.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 10-05-2007, 04:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

its much different for you over in the states, here in england i only get the tsh i only have a choice of levothyroxine but i do get checked monthly?? so heres hoping that synthetic and tsh only testing is good enough my tsh is 0.35 last time and is usually 0. something but maybe it makes the t3 go up to the right place for me being int he 0.0s i dont know how i can gauge anything properly but i can pay for the t3 and sometimes i can really push a t4 test so i guess i have to keep kicking butt they dont say where the right place to be is so i have to tell them when i feel good wich is slightly hyper hope i have it right too love katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #11
(female)

Clarissa234 HB User

I think you've received some good answers, only I'd like to add:

Having frequent heart palps is very probably related to your suppressed TSH. I strongly agree with Reece that you should seek out a reproductive endocrinologist. Or, at least, discuss this in greater detail with your OBGYN to see what they propose in terms of adjusting your T-meds to try to alleviate your heart palps without throwing you into a hypo-T state. I think if you decide to make any changes they should be extremely gradual.

I understand your worries about the loss of a gland. The problem with not having a thyroid gland isn't that the medicine won't work for the rest of your life or that you won't live as long and full of a life. The problem is when you don't have your thyroid hormone levels properly regulated. Long term untreated or poorly treated hypo-T is bad for the cardiovascular system too, but in a different way than long term untreated or poorly treated hyper-T. Either way, your job is to keep up with your lab testing, know your lab results and ranges and keep working with your doctors so that you feel optimal. Try not to worry about your missing gland, just keep up with your treatment.

And, congrats on your pregnancy.

Last edited by Clarissa234; 10-05-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Closed Thread