It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 10:15 AM   #1
(female)

dcdrogers HB User
Synthroid Side-Effects

Hello to everyone on the board. I have a question. I am into my 3rd week of Synthroid 50mcg and so far so good. Only one or two side-effects the first week (deep heart beat, insomonia). My second week was pretty good as well. A little fatigue, but my heart beat was back to normal and I was sleeping more peacefully at night.

I'm not into the 2nd day of my 3rd week and I seem to have developed a headache over the past 2 or 3 days. Nothing excruitiating, but enough of a pain to take Excedrin these past 2 days or so. Also, my stomach has been bothering me as well. Again...nothing excrutiating, but I have had to take Maalox for a few days in order to stop the burning/gassy feeling I'm getting.

My question is this....I've checked the Synthroid website and I could find all sorts of informatino EXCEPT any regarding side-effects. My guess is that I'm looking in the wrong place. I know that there are many side-effects associated with Synthroid, but I assumed that if I didn't get them in the first week or two I would probably be home-free.

Any ideas or suggestions on what I can do?

p.s. I only take the Maalox in the afternoons when I know it wont interfere with my Blood Pressure and Thyroid Meds.

Thanks

~Dee

Old 10-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #2
(female)

Clarissa234 HB User
Re: Synthroid Side-Effects

dcdrogers -

My experience with changing thyroid medication doses is that sometimes you feel a little hypER-thyroid, even when you are being treated for hypO-thyroid, because your body is adjusting to the new dose. If that's all it is, it shouldn't last more than 1 week. Of course this is from my personal experience, everyone is different.

What you describe as "deep heart beat" is probably what is medically known as "bounding pulse". I had that same problem - for a couple days. Insomnia, that didn't go away for me, not yet at least. Headache, that went away after a couple of days.

Have you talked to your doctor about this? You should. They might want to recheck labs early just to rule out over-medication as the culprit.

Synthroid is just the synthetic version of a hormone your body normally produces. It does have some fillers, colors, that make up the tablet. There aren't any side effects to the synthetic hormone, that's why you're having a hard time finding them. It's possible you are reacting to the fillers or colors in the pill instead. Again, talk to your doctor about it. They can switch you to an alternate brand. Levoxyl 50mcg is dye free.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
(female)

dcdrogers HB User
Re: Synthroid Side-Effects

Hi Clarissa,

Thanks for responding to my post. Good news......my headaches did go away after one week. This is actually great news as I was popping Excedrin like a mad woman.

Now I'm dealing with swollen ankle/chin area. Nothing drastic, but when I take off my socks I have a imprint around the area from my socks. And I don't wear tight socks at all. I notice that the skin in the same area is very tight and sore when I press against it with my finger. (I guess I should stop pressing huh I'm in week 5 of my 50mcg dosage of Synthorid and I'm hoping that this too will go away soon. I have my bloodwork done next week and my appointment with my Endo on Nov 1. I'll bring up the swollen ankles to her.

BTW....I'm already taking a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide 1/2 tablet per day) that was prescribed to me years ago for help with my high blood pressure.

Thanks again for responding. I really do appreciate the advice and comments I receive from the everyone on the board.

~Dee

p.s. Forgive the typos

Closed Thread