It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 10:04 PM   #1
(female)

Tifferzz HB User
New Thyroid Test Results, Plus B12 Results, Same Symptoms!!

Hello all. I have been posting on this board on and off for several months. I am still having the same symptoms and still no luck in finding out what my problem is!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr. My family doctor sent me to an Endocrinologist last week. I went there, and this Doctor does not know why I am feeling how I am feeling. She said my my past test results on my Thyroid came back normal and my blood panels came back normal. She said that I have several groups of symptoms ..... but when she thinks my symptoms could be one thing, another group of my symptoms rule out the other group. She said she was at "aw" with me and my symptoms and so she said she was not going to re-schedule me for another appointment at this time. Of course I left there mad! Especially after waiting almost 2 months to even get in there for the appointment. I thought this was going to be the answer to my problems, and that she would be able to help me, and I could be back to myself. Well, I thought wrong and now I am back to sqaure one with no help. It is so stressful after dealing with this for a year now.

For those that don't know or haven't read my past posts, I will tell you a little bit. For the past year, I have had a lot of lightheadedness and dizziness, feeling like I am going to faint. I have lost weight for NO reason. I have lost about 30 pounds since the beginning of the year. I am now down to 125 pounds and trying to eat a lot of junk food in between meals to try to gain weigt. That isn't helping! My hair is getting BIG TIME THIN! Soon, I am not going to have any hair left. I am always VERY tired and fatigued. I have no energy to do anything, no matter how much sleep I get. I am tired just sitting. I hardly ever go to the grocery store, or go out anywhere. I used to be a clean freak and a neat freak, well, this past year I haven't been. I have no energy to clean. I cancel appointments because I am too tired to get up and get ready and drive to them. I bruise easily. I seem to always have a black and blue mark on me somewhere. Sometimes it is like my brain cannot think. I forget things or can't remember things. I used to be good at remembering things, not anymore! I am always cold or I get spells where I am sweaty and hot. My eyes have been doing this weird twitchingthing lately. Like they will both move back and forth really fast for like a second, then it will go away. I don't know what that is about, but it just started. My arms and legs fall asleep very easily. If they are in one position for a few minutes, they will fall asleep. Those are some of my main symptoms I have been having over the past year. (Well, the eye thing and the arms and legs falling asleep fast have been recent, within the past 2 months or so).

So anyway .... the Endocrinologist said that my thinning hair could be from a lack of B12. So, I got home ..... and looked for an online lab, found one ... and ordered the B12 blood test and figured I may as well re-test all of my thyroid stuff since I went off the birth control pill a month ago to see if the brown patches will go away on my face. I had my thyroid tested a few months ago, but it came back normal, however I read the the Birth Control Pill can alter those results. So anyway, here are my new test results:

October 03, 2007

TSH: Mine Was: 1.110 ........ Normal Lab Results: (0.350 - 5.500)

Thyroxine (T4): Mine Was: 7.4 ....... Normal Lab Results: (4.5 - 12.0)

T3 Uptake: Mine Was: 34 ...... Normal Lab Results: (24 - 39)

Free Thyroxine Index: Mine Was: 2.5 ..... Normal Lab Results: (1.2 - 4.9)

Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct: Mine Was: 1.14. Normal Lab Results: (0.61 1.76)

Antithyroglobulin Ab: Mine Was: <20 ...... Normal Lab Ranges: (0 -40)

Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum: Mine Was: 3.6 .... Normal Lab Rages: (2.3 - 4.2)

Vitamin B12 and Folate

Vitamin B12: Mine Was: 172 .... LOW .... Normal Lab Ranges: (211 - 911)

Folate (Folic Acid), Serum: Mine Was: 8.7 ...... Normal Lab Ranges: (>5.4)

I had my Ferritin Level Tested the other month and here are those results:

August 08, 2007

My Level Was: 21 ...... Normal Lab Ranges Are: (10 - 291)

I was told that Ferritin Levels should be between 70 and 90 for women. I mentioned this to my family doctor and she said she doesn't go by ferritin levels for Anemia. She said that she goes by the regular blood work ups. The Endo. Doctor also did not say anything about that Ferritin level when I went last week.

I am wondering if all of my symptoms could be from my Low B12 levels. Does anyone here know?? If so, PLEASE let me know your thoughts or suggestions or personal experiences with Low B12.

I think all of my Thyroid Tests are still normal, so I think my Thyroid is all fine right?

Thank you and sorry this was so long, just wanted to explain as much as possible so it was more helpful to those of you reading my post. Thanks!

Tifferz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2007, 04:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User
Re: New Thyroid Test Results, Plus B12 Results, Same Symptoms!!

hi i have anaemia sometimes i canget the ferritin up to 35 and sometimes it is lower and it has been 17 so i can tell you that any ferritin under 50 is really very low and you WILL have symptoms of fatigue under thsi level, my iron was as low as 7 , your thyroid levls are really very good and its plain to see that your ferritin is out of range and so is your b12 .
its maddening my drs dont do anything about ferritin and dont want to be bothered with it when my iron is in range did you have the iron test and red blood cell test i think you need some iron and even if your iron levels are fine , off and on they can get worse as your ferritin is down if they wont give you an iron supplement maybe low dosage i would be very tempted to get an iron supplenment from the health food store , of couse ask your dr if it would be ok good luck some people will have symptoms form ferritin alone even if the iron looks ok on paper anything under 50 ferritin can make you feel awfull, fatigued headaches hair loss is awfull shall i go on ........................................ ......good luck love form katx you have the same symptoms as all of us people with low ferritin xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by pursie; 10-05-2007 at 04:22 AM.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:56 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

I'm sorry (but not surprised) that you're having such a difficult time with your drs. At least they haven't thrown antidepressants at you and told you its all in your head. Honestly, I'd try to find another dr that will listen to you. Either that, or MAKE them listen.

You can have low ferritin and not be anemic. That was my case. My ferritin was at 7, but my CBC levels were fine. Its extremely important to get your ferritin level up. Even if you're not anemic, you can have symptoms associated with low ferritin, such as hair loss, fatigue, headaches, palpitations, etc. I can't believe your dr would wait until you went anemic before treating your ferritin! Well, ok. Yeah, I can.

Your B12 is VERY low. Optimal levels are closer to 1000, so you have a way to go. Try sublingual B12 supplements.

You also have room for improvement for your FreeTs. Most folks usually feel better when their levels are in the upper 1/3 of the range, although since our bodies are all different, your mileage may vary.

Your weight loss, hair loss, bruising, brain fog, and sweating could all be signs of an adrenal problem as well. I'd suggest ordering a 24-hour cortisol saliva test to see what your adrenals are up to. It runs about $141 and is well worth the money.

One thing drs don't seem to get is the difference between "normal" and "optimal". In order to get your drs to listen to you, it might not hurt to play this card. "Yes, my results are normal, but they may not be optimal for ME" seems to work fairly well to get them to listen.

Please keep us posted.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pursie HB User

yes nix is right , they should treat your ferritin, how annoying mine dont even do that test unless its me who asks and then not all the time, you need to go back to them and say all of this and how much you know it can help you, good luck hope you get it sorted alot of us have to deal with this problem love katxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Your ferritin and B12 need serious treatment. While you may not be anemic (you don't say if you are or aren't), you definitely are deficient in these two things. Get on iron supplements and B12.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #6
(female)

Tifferzz HB User

Hello all and thank you all VERY much for responding .... I greatly appreciate it. I'll try to answer some questions that were asked.

I have never been anemic. When I finally switched family doctors back in June (because I moved and my old doctor who I was going to since I was 15 years old .... was an hour drive and I didn't feel like driving that far so I switched). But when I went to this new doctor in June 2007, she said people who come in with my symptoms, she tends to lean towards a Thyroid problem or anemia. She did the regular blood work up, the CBC and the Comp. Metabolic and Lipid Panel and TSH. All of that came back normal. There were some things that were like low end of low or high end of high, but she said they were all normal. I can post that stuff again if you all wanna see it. Just let me know. Oh and during the appointment, she was leaning towards a Thyroid problem because she was feeling around my neck and said it felt enlarged. But because my tests came back normal, she didn't do anything further.

Anyway, she got the results back and said all of my levels were normal. She then said it could be a hormonal problem, and said I could go to my Gyno. Doctor. I went to him. He did the further Thyroid Testing. Another TSH, The Free T4 and all of that stuff. That all came back normal. He also did an FSH test, LH Test and Testosterone and Blood Cortisol Tests. I had 2 blood Cortisol Tests done. I did one in the morning at around 10:00 AM, that test result came back high. My level was: 35.0 .... Normal Lab Results: (7:00 AM - 9:00 AM) (4.0 - 22.0). Then I did another Blood Cortisol Test At 4:00 PM. My level then was: 16.9 ..... Normal Lab Results For That Time Of Day Are: (3:00 PM - 5:00 PM ) (3.0 - 17.0). So my evening Cortisol level was like a tiny bit away from being high again.

When I went to the Endo. Doctor last week, she said that because I always have lower back pain (even though I am on Percocet everyday to take the pain away), that it could be why my Cortisol Levels are high. She said when you are in pain, you Cortisol levels rise. I said to her ... well I take Percocet for my lower back pain, so when I had the Cortisol Blood tests, I had Percocet in me so I wasn't in pain. She just said .... there are not enough studies to show whether being on Percocet would really lower the Cortisol blood levels. So, I was like ok.

The Endo. doctor never said anything about my Low Ferritin Levels. I thought she would. But she never said anything .... all she said was everything came back normal except for my Cortisol but that could be because I am always in pain from my back. The only other thing she wants me to do is this 24 hour urine test. It is some kind of test to check for Adrenal Tumors or something like that. I have not done the test because there are a lot of things you have to do 24 hours before the test and 24 hours during the urine test. She said she doesn't think this is what my problem is, but she said she will test it anyway. Then she said I am not going to schedule a follow up appointment with you unless the Urine test comes back abnormal. I was like ok ... and I left.

The reason I tested my B12 on my own .... was because she said that I could be lacking in B12 and that could be why my hair is thinning. So, then I was like well I will order the B12 and Folate just to be sure. Then I was thinking, well since I stopped taking the birth control pill a little over a month ago, I am going to re-check all of my Thyroid stuff just do make sure. Ohhh, the reason I also wanted to re-check my Thyroid was because .... when I was at the Endo. Doctor, she was feeling around my neck. She was feeling around for awhile and then she said "does anyone in your family have Thyroid problems"? I said ohhhh yes, my sister does. I then said I forgot to put that on the family history paper. So, she stopped feeling around my neck and she said ... why kind of Thyroid problem does your sister have? I said she is HypOThyroid and she has Hashmo. She then went over and wrote it down on the paper. But I guess cause all of my Thyroid stuff came back normal, the Endo. doctor is ok with that. I just thought it was weird that my family doctor seemed to feel something in my neck a few months ago. Then the Endo. doctor was feeling around and then asked that. That is why I was like well since I stopped the B.C.P., I am going to re-check my Thyroid while I am at it. But they are came back normal yesterday.

The only thing that came back abnormal yesterday was my B12. I should re-test my Ferritin level. I have never had just my plain Iron checked. Maybe I should re-check my Ferritin and then have the Iron tested?? What do you all think? My hubby was a little mad cause I spent $400.00 on those tests the other day. We do have Health Insurance and it could have all been covered if the Docs. would check them, but they don't. I am just getting tired of feeling like this and the doctors not knowing what is wrong, so I paid for the tests myself. If I order another ferritin and Iron, hubby may get mad LOL.

I did start to take a Multi-Vitamin yesterday. It has 12 mcg's of B12 in it along with other vitamins. I then faxed over my new results to the Endo. doctor and my family doctor. I sent a letter along to my family doctor asking her if they can schedule an appointment for me with a Hematologist. I just have not heard from her yet.

The only thing I don't get and I don't understand is the anemia thing?? It confuses me soooooooooo bad. So, my regular blood work came back ok, yet my B12 is low and my Ferritin is low. Do these things all lead up to true anemia on regular CBC blood work? Or ... are low B12 and low ferritin all different types of anemia? Are there different types of anemia? I am definitely confused!!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

If your CBC was normal, then you do not have anemia. However, you are deficient in iron and B12. Vitamin deficiencies such as this WILL eventually cause anemia once you get depleted enough and your body cannot function properly. Right now, just consider yourself on the downward spiral TOWARD anemia. I had a ferritin of 5 and was anemic, then I started iron supplementation and very quickly got out of the anemia but still had a ferritin of 5. As my ferritin has climbed, my "normal" CBC number (hemoglobin, hematocrit, and RBCs) are also climbing but are still in the normal range. For instance, if you have a hematocrit of 12, you are technically not anemic, but you are close to being anemic. Maybe a better hematocrit for you is really 15. But all the doctor sees is that your CBC is normal.

The multivitamin will not be enough to get your B12 up. You need to take a LOT of B12. The best way is using drops that you put under your tongue. I think you can take something like 1,000 mg at a time. Could be incorrect though.

I am boosting my iron by taking two Flintstone's vitamins a day. I would do better if I could take a higher dose but it bothers me. You may want to go out and by some Slow-FE which is a time released iron that seems to be well tolerated by most people and seems to work well.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GravesGirl73 HB UserGravesGirl73 HB User

I have a kind of anemia called "mediterranean anemia" or Thalessimia. I am of Italian descent. My cbc always comes back around 10, but with this it never gets much higher than this. I was told 10 years ago to take folate(1 mg) this is a prescription, folate over the counter is 800 mcgs. I am having a b-12 test and a ferritin level and iron test in a couple of weeks. My doc says you can take 1,000 of b-12 a day. You also have to see if you have intrinsic factor which means you can absorb b-12 by mouth. You need to pee in a jar for a day for that! If it shows you can absorb it , then you can take it by mouth, if not I think you need shots of it. Ask the doc about this, it was 10 years go so I forget. These two vitamins help to build red blood cells, which I don't have enough of. A multi vitamin doesn't have enough of these.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
(female)

alaska_free HB User

Hi

Wow! I could have written your post. I experienced alot of the same symptoms. For the last 7 months, I have been experiencing neuropathy first in the feet and then in the hands; dizziness, dropping things, loosing hair, tired, bladder accidents, off balance, easy bruising and bleeding. I finally had enough and was sent to a neurologist. They did alot of tests. My B-12 level came back at 155. The neurologist and pain dr both said it was most likely a b-12 deficiency. My family dr got the results and he ordered a MMA blood test to see if I have a B-12 deficiency and placed me on B-12 injections. Within a couple days, I was feeling alot better.

The strange thing is that the MMA came back low which shows no B-12 deficiency. The B-12 serum level was 155. After fighting with my dr, he is continuing to treat the symptoms but he claims I don't have B-12 deficiency. What is so strange is that for the first time in 7 months, I am getting relief and they have no clue why. Makes me wonder about dr's and where they get their degrees.

Thanks
Alaska

Old 10-07-2007, 04:57 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nyxie63 HB UserNyxie63 HB User

Alaska,
Yeah, makes you wonder, doesn't it? The rearEndo blamed all my symptoms on perimenopause, probably because I'm a female in my 40s. Not only that, but she refused to test my female hormones when I asked her to confirm her dx. It wasn't until I went to another doc that they found severe iron and vitD deficiencies, along with adrenal fatigue. Just goes to show you - don't give up!

155 is extremely low for vit B-12 levels. While still in "normal" range, it isn't anywhere near optimal. Optimal levels are closer to 1000.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
(female)

alaska_free HB User

Hi

Actually the B-12 is not in the normal range. It was 155 (range 180-914). So it falls below normal. Anyways it is low. I am still somewhat confused on what is considered normal.

Alaska

Old 10-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Okay recommended FDA levels:

Vitamin B 12 Deficiency in Adults
PO 25 to 1,000 mcg/day depending on level of deficiency.

Severe deficiency recommends 1000 mcg/day for 5 - 10 days then 100 - 200 mcgs until level is normalized.

Also natural ways to get B12:
Following good sources of vitamin B 12 : seafood, egg yolks, organ meats, fortified breakfast cereals, meat, cheeses, milk, other dairy products.

Milk and calcium fortification.. downside. Calcium separates B12 and causes a decrease in the absorption of B12.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 10-08-2007 at 06:59 AM.

Closed Thread