It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Lump in neck next to adam's apple.

I posted this on TMJ board, but was told to ask about it over here. I do have muscular TMJ, but I guess this may not be related.

I have a slight lump in my neck, next to my Adam's apple (yes, women have them too, it's just not visible usually). When I press on it, it pushes over and kind of "pops". I'm not sure if that's the right terminology, but it feels like it's popped into a different place when I press. I know people will tell me to see a doctor, but I've had so many weird symptoms over the past year that I've been to the doctors many times, and they have stopped doing anything for me. I have irregular menstrual cycles like I never have before also. I am wondering if it's maybe just swollen muscle from my TMJ, but I have been wondering if I might have a thyroid problem. My TSH was normal last time it was tested which was April. I know there are other tests that can be done, but my doctors won't do them. They say I'm fine.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User
Re: Lump in neck next to adam's apple.

I forgot to mention the other reasons I am wondering if this is thyroid problem. My tongue feels swollen every morning when I wake up, and there are teeth indentations in the side. Sometimes my tongue is very dry, even when I drink a lot and sometimes has a weird dry feeling coating.
The other thing is that I've had a problem on and off with hoarseness and having to clear my throat. I also have an occasional dry cough, especially in the morning. I know this could also be acid reflux or allergy but haven't been diagnosed with either.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

So glad you have come over to this board. I just wanted to welcome you and let you know that one of the experts here will be along to welcome you soon. Hoppy

Old 10-10-2007, 04:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

The drinking test is an old fashioned way to see a large thyroid nodule, look in the mirror, and take a sip of water, if it goes up and down, I think they say it's a nodule....although it could also just be a goiter---a swollen lobe of the thyroid.

ENT's are familiar with both thyroid nodules, as well as TMJ, but to be honest, any doctor will be able to tell if it's your thyroid or not....lumps and bumps on the thyroid are not necessarily related to symptoms or bloodwork.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

Thanks. I did the water test in the mirror. It's not acutally on or next to my thyroid, it's more next to my adam's apple. Could that still be a thyroid thing? I think I read on the internet thyroid lumps (whatever the cause) can sometimes appear next to the adam's apple. It does go up and down when I swallow.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

wonderingtoo HB User

I've been doing more research on this, and wanted to post my TSH level. In January 2006 it was 1.3
January 2007 it was 2.2

Also, my Ferritin level was 38, which is considered normal. I haven't had other thyroid tests.

I've read on other posts that some people have joint and muscle pain. Is this a thyroid symptom? I've been to the doctor in the past year about hip pain and rib pain, as well as my lower back/abdominal/flank pain. The hip pain has pretty much disappeared though.

I can not get any more tests from my HMO. My doctor will not order any. Even when he didn't know what was causing my tongue coating, he didn't. And my OB-GYN won't order tests even though I've had weird cycles with 4 days spotting and 59 day cycle, or a light period on day 38, then another regular one 22 days later. He just says I'm probably not ovulating regularly.
Can anyone give me any suggestions on what I should do. I'm considering a doctor outside my HMO, or tests I order myself and pay for, but the closest lab for that is over an hour away. Also, what about the basil body temp? Is that a good indicator of hypothyroid?
I also have pretty low blood pressure, it ranges from 90/50 to 105/68.
One more thing, I just found out my grandmother has hypothyroid.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

If you go out of network, some people here have used osteopathic and holistic doctors with some success. If you aren't feeling well, maybe it's thyroid related, maybe it's not, but they might be able to help you figure it out.

Just to ease your mind, thyroid cancer patients, if that's what your worried about, usually have no symptoms, the nodule grows, and the thyroid works just fine.

Regarding the neck issue, which is separate for now, I think if there's really an obvious lump on your neck (something other people can see when you point it out), you can and should go to your regular doctor, because he can help you, with no tests, figure out if it's a thyroid nodule, a lymph node, or a surface thing, whatever it may be. I think you will sleep better to know what it is (hopefully nothing!).

Last edited by Reece; 10-11-2007 at 05:25 AM.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #8
(female)

hawaiidreamergu HB User

I have an area on my neck as well that can be seen quite easily. I asked my GP and OB/GYN about it, and they said they were feeling a completely normal neck, and that there was nothing wrong there (I had already been dx'd with hypothyroidism at this point). When I finally went to an endo and had an u/s of my thyroid, she showed me that it was nothing more than a larger than normal thyroid cartilage ring. it's not that it had extra growth or was swollen or anything. It was exactly like all of the other rings, just a little bit bigger. Just wanted to put in a little bit of "good" news here. It may be uncomfortable or scary, but it doesn't always mean the end of the world. Good luck in your quest for answers .

Old 10-11-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
(female)

sunset1982 HB User

i had a lump in my throat and it was a goider (sp), i do have a thyroid disorder and ended having a radiation treatment to remove it.

Closed Thread