It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
(male)

wdiguy HB User
Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

Chris,

From what you say, you almost certainly have a parathyroid tumor and hyperparathyroidism.

It is never normal to have a high calcium… and, people with NORMAL parathyroid glands have calcium levels that are EXTREMELY constant… no variability.

If you have calcium levels that jump around and are occasionally high, then you have a parathyroid tumor. It is as simple as that. Very classic.

Let me know if you want our help… you need the tumor removed. You need no other tests or scans.

What does everyone think? I emailed him with whats been going on, I just feel weird cause Im talking to a doctor by email who specializes in parathyroid disease. Want to make sure this is accurate for him to tell me.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User
Re: Parathyroid High Calcium from Dr. Norman

This is my understanding of this disease too. I just found out on Monday that I have a high calcium reading, so I went back last night and had more blood taken to examine ca again, ionized ca, and pth.
Do you have this condition? If so, what are your symtpoms?
Thanks,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

That's exactly how I found my thyroid surgeon, by computer "word of mouth" and it worked out really well. I didn't see him for a personal visit until a day before my surgery. We worked most of the stuff out over the phone beforehand. I have to say I had none of the possible problems that can happen after thyroid surgery. When you find a surgeon that concentrates on only one type of surgery, I feel that they do what they do well. Of course, hearing by word of mouth gives first hand accounts too.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

wdiguy,
How did you ever make out with your high calcium? Did you get surgery from Dr. Norman?

Old 04-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
(female)

carol1207 HB User

Hi Mmee,

Are you considering going down to Tampa? I am looking into it and would like to find anyone else that had the procedure done by Dr. Norman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmee View Post
wdiguy,
How did you ever make out with your high calcium? Did you get surgery from Dr. Norman?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

hi carol1207,
I actually have not been diagnosed yet with hyperparathyroid. I am still working on it. I have been sick for 13 1/2 months and on Monday, I finally got a referral to an endocrinologist for this calcium.
How did you get diagnosed? Were you having symptoms? What was your calcium and pth levels, if you don't mind me asking and did they bounce around a little bit?
Sorry for all of the questions.
Thanks,
mmee

Old 04-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
(female)

carol1207 HB User

Hi Mmee,
During a routine (and my first) bone density scan, they found osteoporosis in Jan 2007. All the doctor did was prescribe Actenol or Boniva. I didn't want to resort to pharma's so started searching for natural methods to build bone after age 50. Stumbled into Dr. Norman's site and found that I matched many of the symptoms. Convinced my OB to run a calcium and PTH. They turned up high, Cal - 10.7 and PTH - 73.1. She ran a second series two weeks later, Cal - 10.5 PTH - 88.3. She referred me to an endo. He's done three labs, Cal - 10.3, 10.3, 10.4 and PTH - 60.3, 74.2, 82.7. Last lab March 08. Negative sestamibi scan, but a thyroid ultrasound turn up a possible tumor, maybe. He now can only recommend a surgeon otherwise just continued monitoring while I lose more bone. As of yesterday, all my medical records are on their way to Dr. Norman's office and they will review and set up a consult over the phone to see if I am a candidate. I've been feeling terrible for over two years now. Migraines are the worst. Back and hips ache all the time. I've always been in good health, active lifestyle. I hope I can become the old me again. Please feel free to ask all the questions you need to. I had a good endocrinologist who was willing to listen and go down this path. Have you come across anyone who has had surgery by Dr. Norman? Thanks!
Carol

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmee View Post
hi carol1207,
I actually have not been diagnosed yet with hyperparathyroid. I am still working on it. I have been sick for 13 1/2 months and on Monday, I finally got a referral to an endocrinologist for this calcium.
How did you get diagnosed? Were you having symptoms? What was your calcium and pth levels, if you don't mind me asking and did they bounce around a little bit?
Sorry for all of the questions.
Thanks,
mmee

Old 04-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

hi carol1207,

That is how I feel too carol. It all started with me in Feb 2007 when I went to the emergency room for a rapid heart rate and from there it is has just been down hill. I have been diagnosed with a few things, but I am not feeling any better.
Do you have a cardiac arrythmia or high blood pressure? I have a cardiac arrythmia and strange blood pressure, like I get readings like 114/94, so the top number looks low and the bottom looks high. Then I have had 140's/60's. So, the top looks high and the bottom low.

I have severe hip pain and my right hip is actually shorter than the other now, I never had a bone density scan because I am 32 and they will not offer it to me. I have alot of back problems and bulging disks. I also have myofascial pain and hypoadrenalism. I do get headaches at times too. I also have tmj.

I am so confused if why I am feeling bad is because of something that I already know that I have or if it is something else (like hyperparathyroid). My last calcium was 11.0 and the doctor would not run a pth because he said that it was not high enough.

I am so confused as to what to do next. I did get an appointment at the endo's but it is not until June 10th-uhuh So, I don't know what to do. I am hoping that I can feel good again too, I know exactly what you mean.

Keep me updated on yourself and if you have any questions to ask me please do so. Also- I do not know of anyone that has had surgery at Dr. Norman's personally but I have read some wonderful things on healthboards about him.

mmee

Old 04-16-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
(female)

Dravadear39 HB User
Hyperparathyroidism, Can you help?

Hello, I'm new Does anyone know if Calcium serum levels of 10.0, 10.2 and 10.1 are high enough to indicate hyperparathyroidism? (One blood test was 11.6 which I know is high). Would a scan be needed to confirm this?

Thanks, k.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

hi Dravadear39,
Are your levels jumping around from the 10's then into the 11's then back to 10's. According to parathyroid.com, it is high enough. Have you had your pth checked yet to see where it is?

That is exactly what is happening to me, my calcium was in the 10's then went to 10.9 then to 11.0, but I have not had a recent pth, because the doctors in my area are telling me that this level is just not high enough, but I have since learned otherwise.

mmee

Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
(female)

Dravadear39 HB User

Hi Mmee, thanks for responding. It appears that my pth levels are normal. My first test was 11.6, then three others after that, in the low 10's. Docs are saying these "high normal" values aren't high enough for hyperparathyroidism. I am also having my T3 thyroid level adjusted. I'm hoping that one of these two things is causing my treatment-resistant depression.
Kay

Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

hi, I also wanted to ask anyone with hyperparathryoid or getting the testing done, is it best to fast before the test or does it really not matter if you fast or not, if someone could let me know I would appreciate it.

I asked my previous physcian, but she really never gave me an answer.

Thanks,
mmee

Old 04-16-2008, 03:53 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

hi, Dravadear39,
Sounds like we are in the same boat. I am being told the exact same thing. When your calcium was 11.6 was your pth in the 'normal' range? If so, from what I am reading on parathyroid.com, that could possibly indicate a hyperparathyroid problem. Because if your parathyroid was working correctly at a calcium of 11.6 then the pth should be near zero.
What are your symptoms, if you don't mind me asking? Do you have high blood pressure or a cardiac arrythmia (rapid pulse, pac, pvc, skipped beats)?

mmee

Old 04-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #14
(female)

Dravadear39 HB User

Hi Mmee,

My pth was 42 pg/ml which was considered normal. My only symptom is depression which only gets better for short runs of time with antidepressants. Low blood pressure, great heart health and overall health.
Thanks, Dravadear39

Old 04-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

hi Dravadear39,
My understanding of hyperparathyroid is that if your calcium is 11.6 and your pth is 42, that is a high pth, because your hormone should be shutting down at 11.6 going near 0.
I would definately have that looked into more. I am looking into mine also, because mine jumps all around, the calcium. I have only ever had the pth tested once and it was 36 at the time.
Do you have thyroid problems too? I am having a thyroid upscan tomorrow to see if it is possibly my thyroid. Do you have hyper or hypo?

mmee

Closed Thread