It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

m. m. HB User
Thoughts on drs. orders and Nature-Throid

I'm one of the handful of folks on the board with low tsh and low ft4. Most recently my ft4 was .7 (.5-1.5) and has been falling for the past few years from an all time high of 1.0 (.9-1.8). My doc has agrees my numbers are not optimal due to hypothalamus or pituitary issues and has tried jump starting with supplements and reversing some vitamin/mineral deficiency as first line in leiu of meds. He works in a very reputable integrative medicine office and I have been quite satisfied with his knowledge and feel he knows what he is doing.

I saw him last week and asked to try meds and he agreed. However, he started me on a very low dose. He prescribed 1/4 grain (16.25mg) of Nature-Throid. He said it is Armour without the preservatives. He then instructed me to add Iodoral to it in two weeks. Iodoral is a "high potency iodine/potassium iodide supplement" to boost the effects of Nature-Throid. I go back in 7 weeks to get blood check. Of note, my iodine blood test showed "none detected".

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this dose would do anything? Is this a "sympathy" gesture or does this make any sense?

Thanks.
Michelle

Last edited by m. m.; 10-10-2007 at 07:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Re: Thoughts on drs. orders and Nature-Throid

1/4 grain won't do too much. Its not really enough to change your levels at all. Nature Throid is basically the same as Armour just different fillers and binders. Its known as a hypoallergenic version and those that can't tolerate the binders in Armour do better with Nature Throid. Some people say its not as potent as Armour, some, like me, can tolerate it fine but don't tolerate Armour.
If you want to bring up that T4 any you would need a higher dose.
Is your Dr checking your FT3 levels? Since Nature Throid is a T4/T3 combo you really need to watch T3 levels. The dose your taking though won't make a huge difference on either your T3 or T4 unless you are super sensitive to meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
(female)

thyroidmadness HB User
Re: Thoughts on drs. orders and Nature-Throid

Personally I thing 1/4 grain is a good starting point, For one You need to see how your body reacts to the meds, and secondly Your being treated now. This is a good thing. You will be retested in 7 weeks so more than likely you will be increased if needed at that time. I started out on a very low dose as well and I did feel a bit better on it. I had to be upped after my first labs but As sick as I was when I was finally DX'd I was glad they took the time to adjust my doses slowly I don't think my body could have handled a large starting dose.

Thyroid treatment is allot like stepping stones. One step at a timeGlad your being treated finally. Just my two cents.

Closed Thread