It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User
Accidentally Took Double Dose of Armour for Three Days

I knows its been quite a while since I last posted. Over the past months, I have been struggling to switch over to Armour from my levothyroxine and find a dose where I would be stable enough to call it the beginning of success. Beleive me it has been quite a difficult journey.

A few weeks ago, I was up to 60 mg (1 grain), and barely made it through the second week waiting to up my dose another 1/4 grain. Each time I consider I feel better when I up the dose, by the middle of the second week, I am suffering severe symptoms (esp a return to my old psychological symtoms) and can hardly survive till the next increase.

Nearly two weeks ago, I went up to 75mg (1 and 1/4 grain), and seem to have stabilized and seem to have achieved a more consistent reduction of symptoms.

Anyway, I had a new prescription filled a few days ago, and did not notice that they were the 30 mg (1/2 grain) pills. So, I was taking 5 of them, thinking they were each 1/4 grain. I did this for 3 days, in effect taking 150 mg (2 1/2 grains). I was thinking to myself during this time, "wow", I guess I will n ot need another increase as yet, since I feel so good...though as time wore on, I did feel a little bit hyper and started having fluttering in my chest.

Well, when I noticed yesterday what had happened, I decided to take 45 mg, (3/4 grain) or a half of my normal dose. Yesterday was not pleasant, and I realized I probably should have taken less.

I am wondering what I should do to even out my blood levels? Should I take nothing for a few days? Or instead take a smaller portion of my normal 1 and 1/4 grain dose? I feel terrible today, sleepy, lethargic etc., and a bit anxious (overstimulation anxious).

Finally, has this happened to anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User
Re: Accidentally Took Double Dose of Armour for Three Days

While thyroxine has a half life in the body of about 7 days, triiodothyronine (T3) has a half-life of about 10 hours. I would skip a day and take a smaller dose.
I also switched from Levothyroxine to Armour and I also have a hard time with it. I started on 30 mg for 2 weeks and now upped to 60 mg.
I still have hypo symptoms but like Midwest always mentions, you can't rush it.
Take your time and increase your Armour slowly.

Good luck

Last edited by mauz; 10-13-2007 at 12:52 PM.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

When I started the Armour in May, I was on 88 mcg thyroxine and 15 mg Armour. My Dr increased me to 75 mg thyroxine and 30 mg armour. Then I switched to 45 mg Armour alone. Shortly afterward, I had a bad experience, where I ended up so dizzy I was falling over and nearly fainting, and had weird "buzzing" in my brain, I felt like I was having some mini seizure. Well, I went to the ER and ended up discontinuing everything. I think I had too much T4 still in my system, plus I had never responded too well to the T4.

After a week of no thyroid hormone at all, I tried 15 mg Armour, but it was too much - palpitations, and "flip flops of my heart. Eventually, I was able to tolerate the 15 after a period at half of the 1/4 grain pills (7.5), but by that time, I was sooooo slow, my body moved like it was in slow motion, my mind could hardly receive any information - it was like I was a zombie. So, I went back on a half dose of the thyroxine (44 mg) and 15 mg armour, and felt better.

Since that period in July, I have beein slowly increasing the armour and decreasing the thyroxine. In the beginning of September, I was at 45 mg Armour and cut the thyroxine altogether.

The past six weeks have been a hard time for me. As I described in my post, I could hardly live until the next increase. A lot of my psych symptoms returned. and by this time, I had long ago cut back to virtually nothing on my anti depressant and anti anxiety medications. I was nearly tempted to increase these two, but could not face having to go through the withdrawal again of titrating down.

Luckily, I lived through it and found consistent relief at 75 mg armour. THANK GOD I know I have a way to go - especially from the good feelings and great energy I had initially with accidental higher dose, until I started to feel too stimulated.

I have found that the 15 mg every two weeks worked for me, which I understand is the protocol given by the company that makes Armour.

Good luck with your Armour experience

All I know is that I feel I am rounding the corner (aside from this little snafu). Armour has been a million times better than the thyroxine. My fatigue abated some time ago, and I seem to have more stamina and DEFINATELY a quicker recovery time from exercise etc. This is something that NEVER happened with the thyroxine even at higher doses than 88 mcg. T4 treatment did give me a little energy, but more of a overstimulated feeling. It also helped with the anxiety and depression - but the one, and most important thing T4 treatment never provided for me was that elusive sense of well-being. I am so happy that I have gotten back what I have not experienced in many, many years, maybe since I was a teen. At the dose I am at, I have more moments than not with a sense of well-being. I look forward to have it 24/7 when the Armour dose is optimum. Hopefully soon!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User

I know how you feel. I have taken Synthroid but didn't feel great.
My Ft4 was always on top of its range and my FT3 below middle range.
I found a doctor who was willing to switch me to Armour. I worked my way up to 60 mg until I had to move out of state.
I went to a holistic MD who wasn't willing to give me my Armour instead he switched me to levothyroxine. I started to get terrible joint pains and I couldn't sleep anymore at night. I went to see another DO and he was willing to switch me back to Armour.
Like you I had to start on a very low dose all over again and I agree it is best to add 1/4 grain each raise.
I have been to 5 different doctors already I never thought it can be so difficult to get proper treatment. Asking for Armour feels like you are asking for a heavy painkiller, unbelievable !!
Good luck with your Armour

Closed Thread