It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
(female)

amanda26 HB User
Thyroid + Spotty skin

I am scheduled to go to endo in November as my regular gp says my TSH and T4 are normal. Thanks to you guys I am getting a second opinion, but in the meantime I have a question. I often get this dark pigmentation almost where a moustache would be over my lip and I also I have a few spots (smaller) on my hand and arm, as well as a white spot on my leg. Does thyroid cause changes in skin pigmentation?

Old 10-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #2
(female)

cougars HB User
Re: Thyroid + Spotty skin

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda26 View Post
I am scheduled to go to endo in November as my regular gp says my TSH and T4 are normal. Thanks to you guys I am getting a second opinion, but in the meantime I have a question. I often get this dark pigmentation almost where a moustache would be over my lip and I also I have a few spots (smaller) on my hand and arm, as well as a white spot on my leg. Does thyroid cause changes in skin pigmentation?
Hi there,

Are you by any chance taking birth control pills? I used to get the dark pigmentation when I took birth control pills and it went away when I stopped the pills. Though don't know about spots on hand, arm....

All the best,

Cougars

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
(female)

amanda26 HB User

I am on birth control and recently had my bc changed as I was thinking a lot of my thyroid symptoms could be hormonal, but my sister in law had some of those as well as white spots. She has hashimotos. I just have so many weird symptoms, I am just anxious to go to her endo in november. I guess I have to be patient. Thanks for your support.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
(female)

Clarissa234 HB User

Weird dark spots on your face are probably from BC pills. Sometimes these can be removed with dermatology treatments such as topical medication or microdermabrasion. These can appear years after you've stopped taking BC. If you continue BC they will get larger, darker.

Weird dark spots on back of your hands are probably combination of sun damage and aging. Your will probably be in your mid to late twenties when you start noticing these.

Weird white spots on your arms, shoulders or other places frequently exposed to sun are probably sun damage and will not go away. These usually look like "reverse freckles"...random white spots about the same size as freckles, in varying shapes and sizes. Maybe you will start out with a few but gradually you get more and more.

Weird white spots anywhere on your body that is not exposed to sun could be sign of vitiligo - loss of pigmentation - which could indicate that you have of Hashimoto's. Sometimes vitiligo white spots look like a pattern instead of random spots.

Your endo will probably know nothing about it, and you will need to see a dermatologist for definite answers about your condition and to make sure they are just pigment changes and nothing more serious.

Pigment changes are not flaws. They show your skin has character. Tell yourself it will be ok for these changes to happen and get used to your new look! Good luck to you!

Last edited by Clarissa234; 10-19-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Closed Thread