It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Question Hypothyroid and Effexor? I'll bet!

Hi all,

Has anyone gone hypo from taking effexor? I searched for "effexor and thyroid" and came up with a million hits -- all to the effect that effexor causes hypothyroid issues.

Another reason not to take that damned drug.

Anyone else experienced this??

A very
jinglebts

Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hypothyroid and Effexor? I'll bet!

Hey jingle! How's it goin'?
Have no experience with the two. Just thought I'd say hi.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking Re: Hypothyroid and Effexor? I'll bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Hey jingle! How's it goin'?
Have no experience with the two. Just thought I'd say hi.
Hey you!

I got over my hypo a few years ago -- turns out it was cause by an anti-seizure drug called clobazam -- so haven't been on the board. But it's returned in all its ferocity -- this time I think caused by effexor -- that $%^&# drug caused everything from seratonin symdrome (last month) to absence seizures (this month) ... needless to say I've gone off it but had a heck of a time b/c I had to do it rather quickly ...

How are you anyway? Still seeing your naturopath? (I am -- I don't trust any other type of doctor now, except for a broken bone in my hand that I had last month.)

Don't know if you know that I have a g'son now, 2-1/2 years old and talks up a storm! I'm visiting him in Toronto over Hallowe'en, and hope soon to move there permanently.

So once again I'm fogged, confused, and clumsy. This time I know what it is though, and should shortly recover.

Bonbe is terrified -- has a second primary melanoma on her eyelid in addition as the one on her back, and has a completely unrelated mass in her brain, which they think is fluid, and will have a shunt put in next month.

How the heck have you been anyway?

jb

Old 10-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Sorry to hear about your setback, Jingle. I'm sure you'll have things well in hand now that you've figured out what caused the problem.

Yes, I go to the same doc. At my last visit in June, he said that unless I need him sooner, he'll see me in 1 year! Yeah!! I'm "there" at last. I stick around here to put the word out to newbies that this thing can be successfully controlled. It can be so discouraging to keep reading the horror stories... which is mainly what you see here... without the seeing any success stories. It's become my purpose in life... LOL

A sweet grandson! Good for you, you lucky duck! My two kiddos are still making no moves toward marriage/parenthood. If I ever become a grandmom, the babies will have to visit me in the nursing home. My hubby retired in June; we're still trying to emerge from the fog we're in at the moment. Despite the relief from the rat race that retirement brings, few can deny that it brings some degree of depression with it. We - he, mainly - still have to figure out a remedy for that.

I'm distraught to hear about Bonnie's new hurdles. Her terror is certainly understandable. Would you please pass my positive thoughts and good wishes on to her for me?

It was good cyber-seeing you, Jingle! Good health soon!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Effexor Official FDA information, side effects, and uses presents this data:
Commonly Observed Adverse Events in Controlled Clinical Trials (537 out of 2897 trial patients 18.5%!!!) of patients study using Effexor experienced asthenia, sweating, nausea, constipation, anorexia, vomiting, somnolence, dry mouth, dizziness, nervousness, anxiety, tremor, and blurred vision as well as abnormal ejaculation/orgasm and impotence in the male patients.

These seem to indicate thyroid behavior as well as some hyper behavior...So my bet is you fall in the 20% zone and need to find another medication to take. You would think they would tell us more.. but no why worry.. especially when this new drug needs to be marketed. In 2% of the patients study pre and post marketing.. finally metabolic studies.. but 20 out of a hundred can suffer it is considered a frequent side effect. Infrequent 1out of 100-1000). Rare: 1 out of 1000. ::mental venting going on along with much typing::

Body as a whole—
Frequent: accidental injury, chest pain substernal, neck pain; Infrequent: face edema, intentional injury, malaise, moniliasis, neck rigidity, pelvic pain, photosensitivity reaction, suicide attempt, withdrawal syndrome;
Rare: appendicitis, bacteremia, carcinoma, cellulitis.

Cardiovascular system—
Frequent: migraine;
Infrequent: angina pectoris, arrhythmia, extrasystoles, hypotension, peripheral vascular disorder (mainly cold feet and/or cold hands), syncope, thrombophlebitis;
Rare: aortic aneurysm, arteritis, first-degree atrioventricular block, bigeminy, bradycardia, bundle branch block, capillary fragility, cardiovascular disorder (mitral valve and circulatory disturbance), cerebral ischemia, coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, heart arrest, mucocutaneous hemorrhage, myocardial infarct, pallor.

Digestive system—
Frequent: eructation;
Infrequent: bruxism, colitis, dysphagia, tongue edema, esophagitis, gastritis, gastroenteritis, gastrointestinal ulcer, gingivitis, glossitis, rectal hemorrhage, hemorrhoids, melena, oral moniliasis, stomatitis, mouth ulceration;
Rare: cheilitis, cholecystitis, cholelithiasis, duodenitis, esophageal spasm, hematemesis, gastrointestinal hemorrhage, gum hemorrhage, hepatitis, ileitis, jaundice, intestinal obstruction, parotitis, periodontitis, proctitis, increased salivation, soft stools, tongue discoloration.

Endocrine system—Rare: goiter, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid nodule, thyroiditis.

Hemic and lymphatic system—
Frequent: ecchymosis;
Infrequent: anemia, leukocytosis, leukopenia, lymphadenopathy, thrombocythemia, thrombocytopenia;
Rare: basophilia, bleeding time increased, cyanosis, eosinophilia, lymphocytosis, multiple myeloma, purpura.

Metabolic and nutritional—
Frequent: edema, weight gain;
Infrequent: alkaline phosphatase increased, dehydration, hypercholesteremia, hyperglycemia, hyperlipemia, hypokalemia, SGOT (AST) increased, SGPT (ALT) increased, thirst;
Rare: alcohol intolerance, bilirubinemia, BUN increased, creatinine increased, diabetes mellitus, glycosuria, gout, healing abnormal, hemochromatosis, hypercalcinuria, hyperkalemia, hyperphosphatemia, hyperuricemia, hypocholesteremia, hypoglycemia, hyponatremia, hypophosphatemia, hypoproteinemia, uremia.

Musculoskeletal system—
Infrequent: arthritis, arthrosis, bone pain, bone spurs, bursitis, leg cramps, myasthenia, tenosynovitis;
Rare: pathological fracture, myopathy, osteoporosis, osteosclerosis, plantar fasciitis, rheumatoid arthritis, tendon rupture.

Nervous system—
Frequent: trismus, vertigo;
Infrequent: akathisia, apathy, ataxia, circumoral paresthesia, CNS stimulation, emotional lability, euphoria, hallucinations, hostility, hyperesthesia, hyperkinesia, hypotonia, incoordination, libido increased, manic reaction, myoclonus, neuralgia, neuropathy, psychosis, seizure, abnormal speech, stupor;
Rare: akinesia, alcohol abuse, aphasia, bradykinesia, buccoglossal syndrome, cerebrovascular accident, loss of consciousness, delusions, dementia, dystonia, facial paralysis, feeling drunk, abnormal gait, Guillain-Barre Syndrome, hyperchlorhydria, hypokinesia, impulse control difficulties, neuritis, nystagmus, paranoid reaction, paresis, psychotic depression, reflexes decreased, reflexes increased, suicidal ideation, torticollis.

Respiratory system—
Frequent: bronchitis, dyspnea;
Infrequent: asthma, chest congestion, epistaxis, hyperventilation, laryngismus, laryngitis, pneumonia, voice alteration;
Rare: atelectasis, hemoptysis, hypoventilation, hypoxia, larynx edema, pleurisy, pulmonary embolus, sleep apnea.

Skin and appendages—
Infrequent: acne, alopecia, brittle nails, contact dermatitis, dry skin, eczema, skin hypertrophy, maculopapular rash, psoriasis, urticaria;
Rare: erythema nodosum, exfoliative dermatitis, lichenoid dermatitis, hair discoloration, skin discoloration, furunculosis, hirsutism, leukoderma, petechial rash, pustular rash, vesiculobullous rash, seborrhea, skin atrophy, skin striae.

Special senses—
Frequent: abnormality of accommodation, abnormal vision;
Infrequent: cataract, conjunctivitis, corneal lesion, diplopia, dry eyes, eye pain, hyperacusis, otitis media, parosmia, photophobia, taste loss, visual field defect;
Rare: blepharitis, chromatopsia, conjunctival edema, deafness, exophthalmos, glaucoma, retinal hemorrhage, subconjunctival hemorrhage, keratitis, labyrinthitis, miosis, papilledema, decreased pupillary reflex, otitis externa, scleritis, uveitis.

Okay. Now my wrists hurt and I am not correcting typos and misspellings right way.

Probably WTMI.. but looking at this drug and the side effects in the studies made me cringe.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread