It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
(female)

lizzie518 HB User
Question how to make surgery scar look better

My one week old scar from my half thyroid removal is pretty ugly. I know it will improve a great deal with time. Is there any scar cream that works well? Do any of them? Can you actually name them on here? I have bought lots of scarves and turtlenecks to cover it at work for a while so I don't scare people and they don't think someone tried to slit my throat without my written permission. Are there any good, inconspicous bandages to put on it in addition to cream? Any good super cover makeup?

Old 10-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
(female)

Petra1979 HB User
Re: how to make surgery scar look better

There is a scar cream that is supposed to be really good and I tried it on my stretch marks after my daughter was born and it did fade them a bit. I believe it is called Mederma and you can get it at any pharmacy, but it is pretty expensive. I think I got mine at Walmart and it was 13 dollars for a little tiny bottle. There is also something called Bio Oil that is a little less money, and that also worked a little bit for my stretch marks. I got that one at Walgreens.

Otherwise, I think time (or plastic surgery) are the only things that will help. Good luck to you. I may be facing a nodule removal in the next year, and I will be concerned about the same thing when/if my time comes. I hope that your scar heals well!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
(female)

fadeaway872 HB User

When I had my surgery a little over 2 years ago, I didn't use anything for it and it almost gone now. Maybe ask your doctor about creams. I know my doc suggested a cream I can't remember the name of it though.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:10 AM   #4
(female)

aussiejenni HB User

I had a total thyroidectomy eleven months ago and my scar is almost invisable
now; I didn't use any creams etc but I was careful to keep my neck out of the sun as apparently the sun can darken the scar.
Goodluck with healing.
Take care
Jenni

Old 10-19-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
(female)

tdooders1 HB User

I had surgery November 2 2006 and my scar is a hypertrophic scar. Doctor said everyone scars differently. Mine is raised and hard and red. Very very noticable. First thing people see. Doctor suggested putting a hydrocortisone cream on it and if that doesnt help he can do steriod injections into it and if that doesnt help he said scar revision surgery. Everyone else I know who has had this surgery you cant even see their scars. I get stares all the time. Even had people ask me if I tried to "off" myself. Goofs. I have other scars that I got as a child and they are still raised. So it just depends on your skin. My incision healed very quickly and I had like no pain with it. (except the scar does throb once in awhile). I guess it gives me character. lol

Old 10-19-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

I used scar guard strips at night for a couple of weeks, but it didn't matter in my case, the neck didn't really scar. Some pp. do, others don't, also, some surgeons use a really tiny incision, others use larger.

But you are so soon after surgery, I would wait to put anything on and make sure it's totally closed and healed. Also, it's swollen there, and you'll see when the swelling goes down in a few weeks, it's much smaller than it appears.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
(female)

jlcgwu0811 HB User

I had a TT almost a year ago. My surgeon told me to find the most greasy lotion that I could and massage it into my scar at least twice a day with pretty firm pressure (almost to the point of pain). Normally I have very hard, large raised scars. I did what he told me to and my scar is the least visiable one I have. Also make sure you keep sunscreen on it.

Closed Thread