It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
(female)

steph57 HB User
Sttill suffering from subacute thyroiditis since may 2006- please help me

I was diagnosed in May 2006 with Subacute thyroiditis & hyperthroidism. I am a 49 year old woman, led an active life, played tennis 3-4 times a week, ran my own business and was ok until I had severe pain in my neck and couldn't swallow- my throat felt blocked. I choked while eating and thought it was acid reflux. Went to my Internist the next day for annnual check up and he sent me for Iodine uptake and blood work. My TSH was 0.018 and T4 was 33.8. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and subacute thyroiditis. I started seeing a local endocronolgist and was put on steriods, beta blockers,biopsies, other meds.& oxygen because sitting still my heart rate would race to 120. I lost weight and walked around like a zombie for 7 months. The hyperthyroidism went away but the pain in my neck is ever present. I have not felt like myself since last May. I have been to Mayo clinic, Holistic doctors and they all reassure this will go away. My numbers are normal now but I still suffer from severe pain that radiates up from my neck into my ear and head. I have lost so much hair, my skin is dry, I am tired all the time, I have no zest. I mark on a calendar good and bad days- there are more bad than good. A friend who is an ENT and treated me as well thinks I should have my thyroud removed. My Dr. at Mayo says hang in there it waill go away- don't remove thyroid unless you have cancer. I currently went for my annual visit with my internist and was told I have no hormones left in my body and must go on hormone replacement. I am at such a loss- I feel like such a burden to my husband, daughter and friends. I am going back to the Holistic doctor to try natural hormone replacement as I don't sleep, and I feel so out of whack. I am writing this for someone to please help me or if they have suffered like I have. I am at my wits end . I am so tired of not feeling good and would welcome advice, suggestions, comments or kindness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Sttill suffering from subacute thyroiditis since may 2006- please help me

Quote:
...was told I have no hormones left in my body and must go on hormone replacement.
Which hormones are you talking about? Reproductive, or perhaps thyroid?

It sounds to me as if you've swung hypOthyroid, which is entirely possible. Your thyroid may have "burned itself out" after that hyper episode.

If you have any recent bloodwork that you don't mind posting, we can help you interpret it to see what's going on at the moment. You should be having your TSH, free T4, and free T3 levels routinely measured. Any other combination of tests you may be administered will not be as revealing as these three; but if you have others, post them too. We'll work with what you have. Even if they fall within the lab's reference range, they may not be optimal for you as an individual. Doctors seldom pay attention to the need to have "optimal" levels, not just "normal" ones.

One thing you should not expect is for MDs to get thyroid treatment right in every case, not even at the Mayo. I've seen at least two other cases on this board of people not getting optimal care there.

Closed Thread