It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

danilynn72 HB User
Please HELp interpret results (can get a hold of endo to interpret)

Hi there,

OK so I finally went to the endo and they did a bunch of tests because I was super fatigued, gaining weight (even when dieting and exercising) always cold, have bad PMS, high cholestrol, constipated, etc. I told the dr I suspected thyroid issues. Unfortunately I've been calling him for a week because my results were mailed to me but I can't get a hold of him and would love to pick your smart brains here are the results.

TSH: 2.08

T4 (total) 9.7

T3 (uptake) 28.4

T4 (free, calculated) 2.75

T3 (total) 175

cortisol 25.9

Thryroid peroxidase AB <10
thryoglobulin AB <20.0

Please HELP. Does this look normal because I can't stop blowing up and gaining weight every day.

Thanks,
Lynne

Last edited by danilynn72; 10-30-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: Please HELp interpret results (can get a hold of endo to interpret)

I can't help you but I can let you know that the "thyroid smart" people will be asking you to post the ranges of your results. So if you could do that, you will probably get an answer sooner! Good luck! Hoppy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Your TSH 2.08 is heading toward hypoT.

The T3 is LOW way too low for optimal levels.. you should be at least 320!

The T4 may be a bit low.. but I would need to see you ranges.

Your FT4 seems high.. but without your ranges I can not be sure. It would be high by my range. Your T4 to T3 conversion is a bit low.. this could explain why your T3 is so low.

Your antibodies are normal in range but not 0 or positive. As a result you do not have blood test positive proof of Hashimoto's.

You need medication. T3 especially. I am betting you are an underconverter or have conversion issues like T4 to rT3 conversion istead of T4 to T3 conversion. These are guesses. Post ranges and more can help. Hopefully you Md will help and not say.. your are normal.

I hate that word.. it is one of my newest dirty words. "Normal." ::snort::

Sincerely,
MG

Old 10-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

The T3 is total. The total T3 range I have is 85-205, so if that is your range....I think it is OK? If you mean FT3, then the range may be more like 230-4 2 0) and in that case it would be low. But I think MG did not see that you wrote total? MG?

I sure hope I'm not wrong as I'm new to this (and obviously still suffering from lack of self esteem...hahaha!) Hoppy

Old 10-31-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Nope.. my bad.. I was thinking FT3. I can only claim fatigue and being blonde.

MG

I am far from perfect. But I do know how to research.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
(female)

danilynn72 HB User

OK I'm the one who just gave the results so here are the ranges. PLEASE HELP

TSH 2.08 (0.40-4.50 ml)

T4 total 9.7 (4.5-12.0 ug/dl)

T3 uptake 28.4 (22.0-35.0)
T4 free, calculated 2.75 (1.53-3.85 units)

T3 total 175 (60-181 ng/dl)

DHEA 66 (40-325mcg/dl)

testosterone , total 40 (20-76 ng/dl)

Thyroid Peroxidase AB <10 (< or =35 IU/ml)
thyroglobulin AB <20.0 (<20 IU/ml)

So what do you all think?

Thanks so much,
Lynne

Old 10-31-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
(female)

danilynn72 HB User

Please help hopalong I just posted ranges. What do you think?

thanks,
Lynne

Old 10-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Ha! You are asking me and I am new to this as well. The person you need is Midwest!

Here is what I believe Midwest would say: New range for TSH is 0.3-3.0. The "optimal" range is 1. Yours is 2.08 so maybe a little high for you and certainly not at the optimal 1 but within range. If total T3 and T4 should be in the 50-75% range as is the case with the Free T's, then maybe they are ok. Interested to hear what Midwest, MG and the other knowledgeable posters have to say. Sorry I can't really help...I am still learning! Hoppy

Old 10-31-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are borderline hypo. When you hit 2.5-3 most MDs will treat given the new range.. especially if you call them on it. Right now what you have is not far enough out of range that I feel your will get an MD to treat you. I would take the watch approach because that TSH could jump anytime. I am not saying you are a hypochondriac.. heck I get that look all the time til I get them to do the test and can fling it back in their faces. My last TSH was 1.67 and I feel like #@$%. So I know where you are coming from.. my B12 and magnesium are low.. I just got on a super B complex vitamin as well as a load of Mg.. we shall see how much better I feel in a week.

Have you checked your vit D, vit B12, and ferritin levels. If any of these are low they can give similar symptoms to those of hypothyroid. I think you are headed down that road just not where others will treat you yet. I can sympathize.. don't turn from it.. watch it and wait.. log your symptoms and blood pressure and body temperature.

One other thing to note:
What time did you get your blood drawn? If you got it done mid- to late in the day, your results should be taken with a grain of salt.. heck Midwest was saying that you can drop 3 points in TSH from morning to afternoon. So the rule of thumb there is to get your blood work drawn first thing in the morning. Studies show that the TSH peaks with in your first 2-4 waking hours. so rule of thumb is to get it drawn between 8-9 am.

Tomorrow I am going to get mine drawn at 9 am.. we shall see how it varies from my previous 2 pm draw.

Hope this is of some help.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 11-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You haven't had the best tests, Lynne. But I'll try to work with what you have.

First, tell me whether you take the Pill or estrogen replacement. Then I'll get back to you.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
(female)

danilynn72 HB User

Hi Midwest,

How are you? thanks for helping me. Funny you mentioned not having the best tests, are there any other results you might need that I didn't post? I went to a super well-known and recommended endo so I thought he was complete (gosh I hope). ANyways, I'm 35 years old so I don't do estrogen blah blah, just do the Nuvaring each month (internal birthcontrol). Maybe there is more info on my results that would help-please let me know.

thanks,
Lynne

Old 11-02-2007, 03:40 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Ok, good.

Nuvaring contains estrogen, and you do absorb some of that into your system. That's why the Total T4 and T3 tests you had are not accurate, and a "good" endo should know that darn well. T4 and T3 are present in two forms in the body, that which is bound to a carrier protein and that which has been stripped "free" of the protein, making it available for use by the cells. Estrogen increases the amount of binding protein, making less free T hormones available for cell use. This is why it's more accurate to measure only the free portions of the T hormones. For that reason, your total T4 and T3 appear to be more abundant than they really are.

The "T4 free calculated" result is just that... only a calculation or estimate based on a math formula that often has little relationship to the actual free T4 measurement. I can't for the life of me understand why MDs order a mere estimate of free T4 when they could just as easily order the most accurate, genuine free T4 test.

Bottom line is... No one should tell you that you aren't hypothyroid just because the wrong tests show your levels to be sufficient. And I can't tell you that you are hypothyroid, either, because now it all boils down to what the right tests might show. If someone would bother to order the right ones, the truth would be known.

You've already had the thyroid antibodies done, and they're negative, so there's no real need to run those again. But if you would have another TSH done, plus a genuine free T4 and a free T3, and if the latter two levels would be below the middle of their ranges with TSH above 2, you may benefit from a trial of supplemental hormone to see if your symptoms improve.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #13
(female)

danilynn72 HB User

Ok Midwest that makes sense. So are you saying that when endo's test for all this they should make sure the person is OFF of birth control so that there's no estrogen being given to mess up the results?

Lynne

P.S. I wonder if I should mention that to him????

Old 11-03-2007, 07:46 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, you don't have to go off the birth control. The free T tests are accurate despite the higher estrogen levels. The total tests aren't.

As for mentioning it to him... That's up to you. If you decide to, be diplomatic. Doctor egos usually aren't receptive to constructive suggestions most of the time.

Closed Thread