It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

lynnrr70 HB User
Smile Losing my hair!! LOW TOTAL T3, but normal TSH, FT4, HELP!

Hello! I am a newbee here and glad to know this site exists. I have suffered from hairloss over the last year and a half. Its terrible, and I am losing the hair on the top of my head quickly and not taking well (they call it 'widening part syndrome'). after 2 rounds (over the course of one year) of "normal" thyroid test results, which only included TSH and FT4, I was told that I dont have a thyroid problem. After a biopsy on my scalp it was confirmed that I have Androgenic Alopecia (the miniaturization of the hair follicle or genetic hair thinining), but I have always refused to believe that its that simple.. and that there must be some other cause. Lets cut to the chase. Before my hairloss I had been low carb dieting for several months and under great stress as well.. But after the hairloss continued for a long time, my doctor told me that my condition was purely hereditary and not related to stress..NO!!! I am not going to accept it...YET!

This time round I insisted on a total T3 test and my results came back as fairly low (76 out of a range of 80-180)but they called it normal. Can I NOT have hypothyroidism but still have symptoms? What do you think of this number? Can anyone relate to this? My symptoms include depression mood swings, lack of energy, dehydrated skin, and brittle, thinning hair that is falling out like crazy, but mainly on the top of my head. Keep in mind that my thyroid tests have all been considered "normal" by my doctor, but I feel like the low T3 is playing a part! Let me know what you think. By the way my iron, ferritin is fine and I am a healthy person all around.

TSH: .6 (normal is .3-3.0)
Free T4: 1.0 (normal is .8-1.7)
TOTAL T3: 76 (normal is 70-200 or 80-180)

I would love to hear any feedback or thoughts from people who might be knowledgeable about someone like me who has many symptoms, but everyone says I am normal! also anyone with low T3 (total ) and hair loss..thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 AM   #2
(female)

stephanie867 HB User
Re: Losing my hair!! LOW TOTAL T3, but normal TSH, FT4, HELP!

If you google herhairlosshelp, it's a great board, full of people going through hairloss for various reasons.

I have a thyroid nodule, discovered April 2006. I started losing hair by the handful in August 2006. Endo says it's not related at all. Dermatologist says it's hereditary. Regular GP says it's stress. The shedding stopped in March 2007, then started up again in September. My thyroid levels didn't change significantly, so for me, it doesn't seem to by thyroid related. My stress level didn't change either, so I don't think it's stress.

Whatever it is, it's frustrating as heck!

Old 11-08-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Losing my hair!! LOW TOTAL T3, but normal TSH, FT4, HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnrr70 View Post
But after the hairloss continued for a long time, my doctor told me that my condition was purely hereditary and not related to stress..NO!!! I am not going to accept it...YET!

This time round I insisted on a total T3 test and my results came back as fairly low (76 out of a range of 80-180)but they called it normal. Can I NOT have hypothyroidism but still have symptoms? What do you think of this number? Can anyone relate to this? My symptoms include depression mood swings, lack of energy, dehydrated skin, and brittle, thinning hair that is falling out like crazy, but mainly on the top of my head. Keep in mind that my thyroid tests have all been considered "normal" by my doctor, but I feel like the low T3 is playing a part! Let me know what you think. By the way my iron, ferritin is fine and I am a healthy person all around.

TSH: .6 (normal is .3-3.0)
Free T4: 1.0 (normal is .8-1.7)
TOTAL T3: 76 (normal is 70-200 or 80-180)
The TSH is suspicious and given the low T4 and T3 blood concentrations the right MD should at least consider you secondary HypoT. Yes low T3 and low T4 concentrations can manifest in your hair falling out. My hair just started falling out in excess and my FT4 just drop 50% to 28% of the normal range. Normal and optimal are to totaly different things. Optimal is a TSH of 1 with FT4 and FT3 in the 50-80% of the normal range. You fall out of those ranges and symptoms can manifest. Problem.. MDs don't seem to care and blow you off until things get really nasty.

Have you had antibody tests run? In particular Graves antibodies (TSI, TRAb) and Hashimoto's Antibodies (TPOAb and TGAb). The abbreviations are what the labs use to identify the tests and all the MD needs to right you a blood work request. I think you may be early onset Hashi's or Hashitoxicosis give your blood work. I am not an MD, but I have Hashi's, my mother and one sister are Hashitoxicosis, then she has another sister pure Hashi's and another pure Graves. AI thyroid diseases are nasty and the antibodies themselves attack our system. You need to find a new MD maybe a DO or one that believes in integrative care.

Sincerely,
MG

Closed Thread