It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
(female)

chestersmom HB User
What is T7?

OK all you knowledgable people. I've been reading these boards for a couple of months while waiting for my trial period on my new strength of Synthroid to end. Back on the lst of Sept. my TSH was 23.21 and I had been on 88 mcg for a long time. My dr. increased my dose to 125, which I have been on for a little over two months. I have never had anything tested other than TSH so this time I asked for the T3 and T4. The nurse said my ins. may not cover it, but I told her to do it anyway. As far as I know, this has never been checked. Anyway, I got my results back so here they are:
T3 Uptake 29.0 Range 27-42
T4 13.2 Range 4.5-12
T7 3.8 Range 1.0-3.8
TSH 0.84 Range 0.27-4.2
My T4 is a little high. Is that any problem? Also, what is T7. I don't think I have run across this being mentioned in anyone's post.

I do know that for the last several weeks I have been feeling much better.
However, this has happened before and then I would just crash. I still to this day do not know if my problem is thyroid related. I have very few symptoms other than the extreme fatigue that come and goes. Although I have always had my thy. checked each year during my annual physical, according to the dr. my levels were always ok. But this fatigue seemed to start about 9 yrs. ago when I changed drs. and she lowed my dose of synthroid. I had a partial thyroidectomy (sp) years ago and have pretty much been on the same strenth of synthroid for all these years (we're talking 40 something) with no problems. It may just be coincidence that my fatigue came on with the lowering of my dosage. Who knows????????

You guys let me know what you think of my result and much thanks.

\

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: What is T7?

I hate to break the news, but you still haven't had your T3 measured. A T3 uptake is not a measurement of T3, but is merely one of the steps used to estimate your level of FT4. The uptake test and the total T4 test are done to arrive at the T7 - which is that inexact estimate of free T4. (Other names for the T7 are "FT4 Index" or "FT4, calculated". In other words, they ran two separate tests to determine a level that isn't worth knowing in the first place.

I would not worry about that minimally high T4 if that's where you feel good. T4 has room to be a little high, more so that free T4.

If your TSH was steadily rising all that time after your dose had been decreased, there is little doubt your low thyroid was contributing to at least some of your fatigue. TSH of over 23 is monumentally high, indicating a profound deficiency of thyroid hormone.

Hoping all continues to go well for you.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Dito on Midwest's advice. She is always spot on. The only thing you are missing is an FT3 or T3 test. maybe your MD is afraid of the cost of an FT3 test.. you might be able to talk them into the less accurate ... less expensive Total T3 test instead if you still have hypoT symptoms. From the tests performed. You are looking fine. Blood tests are not your only gauge. You body itself will tell you if you are taking too much or too little thyroid hormone.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 11-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
(female)

chestersmom HB User

Thanks Midwest & MG. Looks like I probably just wasted my money (if in fact I have to pay for these tests out of my pocket). Oh well, since I am feeling much better, I guess I'll just play it out and see what happens. I'm scheduled to go back in two months for another TSH check but if I start feeling crappy again I'll probably go back sooner. Thanks again.
Joan

Closed Thread