It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

PollyGirl HB User
Smile Armour Thyroid Question

Hi, I just started a new RX for Armour Thyroid. I took 1/2 a grain this morning with breakfast and noticed most of the day I have had a nice little jolt of energy. Is this pretty common for this type of thyroid medicine?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User
Re: Armour Thyroid Question

Yes it is. It is the T3 in the Armour that is giving you this energy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
(female)

PollyGirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauz View Post
Yes it is. It is the T3 in the Armour that is giving you this energy.

But I was on T3 before I was put on the Armour. I never got a jolt of energy on it.........hmmmmmm.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User

how much T3 did you take before Armour ?
Did you take T4 meds ?

1/2 grain of Armour :
19 mcg T4
4.5 mcg T3

Old 11-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
(female)

PollyGirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauz View Post
how much T3 did you take before Armour ?
Did you take T4 meds ?

1/2 grain of Armour :
19 mcg T4
4.5 mcg T3

I only took T3 (cytomel) no T4 or anything else. I was up to 37.5mcg but today when I took my first dose of Armour in the morning I was instructed to not take my Cytomel until 4pm and only take 12.5mcg. I will do this for an entire week and then increase my Armour to 1/2 grain in AM and 1/2 in afternoon and stop the Cytomel.

Thanks for the information on what is in the Armour.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
(female)

glamkat74 HB User

I don't know, but I have noticed a definite improvement in energy levels, better regulated body temperature, and overall better feeling since I resumed taking Armour thyroid (50 mg daily) Saturday. I stopped taking it for three days while I was in the hospital having gallbladder surgery, on lots of different meds, and I noticed a marked difference in how I felt - numb and cold hands and feet, low body temp but with no fever, stiff legs (could've been partly due to hours spent lying in bed) with intermittent pains in hips esp., fatigue, and changes in blood pressure (though luckily not high or low enough for it to keep me in longer).

Old 11-13-2007, 05:42 AM   #7
(female)

PollyGirl HB User

Glamkat ~ wishing you a very speedy recovery and glad to hear the Armour Thyroid is working again for you.

I do have to say that most of yesterday and this morning I am finding that I can actually breath better and also my neck was not tight and full as it always feels.

Is that possible?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Polly,

If I am recalling correctly. Your FT4 results were bottom of the barrel. T4 is important for many functions. T3 is the most active and will react the quickest, but it doesn't meet all system needs. Having a balance of T4 and T3 is always better than just T3. Some things turn out better when done at a slower pace. Many thyroid related brain interactions are dependent on T4.

The reduction in swelling in the throat due to balanced thyroid medications allows for that reduction in tightness and constriction you were feeling. As your thyroid is tapped less to produce hormones inflammation will decrease and you will have less restriction on your airways and breathing as well.

It looks like Armour is working well for you, I am glad. The closer you get to the right dose the more your symptoms will disappear and the better you will feel.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 11-13-2007 at 08:17 AM.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
(female)

PollyGirl HB User

It all is starting to make sense to me.......I do have to say I skipped the Cytomel that I am suppose to take at 4pm and eventually will omit all together. I was very wired today. Strange thing is that I used to take 50mcg of straight Cytomel and now I am taking such a small dose but now with the added T4, I don't feel the need to take the extra Cytomel.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User

I've taken both Cytomel & Armour solo, at different times of my hypo-thy therapy. And though I felt good with some energy on Cytomel (LOVE it), my T4's TANKED making one VERY lady! (Dr's tried a combo therapy of Levoxyl/Cyt in between) Since May 07, I've been soley on Armour. My energy level is greatly improved & I'm starting to lose weight

I felt jangled & jittery when Dr had me on both Cytomel & Armour. THINK my Cyt was too high then though , , ,

Old 11-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #11
(female)

PollyGirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suey77 View Post
I've taken both Cytomel & Armour solo, at different times of my hypo-thy therapy. And though I felt good with some energy on Cytomel (LOVE it), my T4's TANKED making one VERY lady! (Dr's tried a combo therapy of Levoxyl/Cyt in between) Since May 07, I've been soley on Armour. My energy level is greatly improved & I'm starting to lose weight

I felt jangled & jittery when Dr had me on both Cytomel & Armour. THINK my Cyt was too high then though , , ,
I am totally off the added Cytomel and just started to add another 1/2 grain of AT to my schedule. I take 1/2 in AM and 1/2 with dinner. I really have been feeling pretty decent so I hope this will continue for me.

Now if I could lose some weight

Closed Thread