It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User
Had Endo appt. Started Armour. QUESTIONS??? Help please!

Hi all~

Well I finally had my endo appt yesterday and he agreed to try the armour. So today was my 1st day and I have to say I felt very weird all day long. Now, is that even possible after 1 dosage?? Or is my dosage maybe to high? He has started me out on 1.5 GR (90MG) once a day. Is that a high starting dose? Maybe I should cut them in half?? I felt real jittery all day, tighter chest, faster pulse than normal, more anxiety, and then since this afternoon I have had a raging headache???? Gosh I was really wanting this to be my answer. I need a answer here quick. Getting very discouraged.

ANy thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

My endo did say that if this didn't work he would up my levothyroxine from 112mcg to 125mcg.... But he said to try the armour 1st and that hopefully that would help with me feeling so badly still.

Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User
Re: Had Endo appt. Started Armour. QUESTIONS??? Help please!

Anyone have any ideas???

I don't know if I should try to cut my dose in half tomorrow morning or what now! Yikes..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Try one grain and see how you feel. Were you taking any T3 before or just T4? 1.5 is a bit high by the pharmacy dosing recommendations. Most say start at a half grain and increase by quarter to half grains depending on age of patient. Test every 4-6 weeks FT3 and Ft4 levels before increasing dosages.

T3 can make you jittery because it is fast acting. The specific side effects you are feeling: Shakes.. Heart Rate.. Sweating.. these are signs of HyperT. You body is jazzed with the fast acting T3.

It will not hurt to go for two weeks on a grain then bump to 1.5 grains. It takes 2 weeks for the blood levels to equilibrate to the given dose. You body then adjusts slowly over the next 2-4 weeks depending on your specific body chemistry. In pregnant patients first trimester.. they test and adjust every two weeks as needed.

You are not alone. I wish I could tell you more.
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 11-13-2007 at 09:10 PM.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

I think it is too high. If I remember correctly, the Armour site dosage recommendation is starting on 30 mg, going up increments of 15mg every 2 or three weeks.

I had trouble switching over from thyroxine and had to start on a low dose, because i was sensitive to the active T3 in the ARmour. Of course, everyone is different - some people can tolerate more than others. And from I have read here, there are many ways to convert over to armour. Some go straight on to it, some overlap and reduce the thyroxine as the armour is increased. Also, some people start at higher doses or armour than 30 mg.

However, if you are having these reactions - you are on too much as a starting dose.

Finally, the trick is to multidose. I found it especially useful in the beginning until I could tolerate the T3. The t3 reaches its peak about 2-3 hours after taking the dose.

I usually take half in the morning and half in early afternoon. ( I am on 60 at the moment)

I struggled for a long time - part of the problem was that i had too much thyroxine still in my system ( since the T4 has a half life of a week) and taking more than a very minimum dose of Armour (15 mg or even a half) was too much for me. So, this is something to consider. Also, my body was so sensitive to the T3, it took a while to work up while going down on the thyroxine.

Anyway, after thinking I was giving it up on a few occasions, I stuck to it, because during the transition, even though it was difficult and frustrating, I experienced moments of well-being and changes in my body and mood that I never achieved with thyroxine only.

It is worth the effort!.

Finally, don't feel overwhelmed thinking you may have a difficult period ahead, you may end up like many others here and have an easy conversion to armour.

Just tread carefully, the T3 is very powerful and you will suffer the consequences of a slip up or over dose with lots of unpleasant side effects - something that won't generally happen with thyroxine. But, palpiations, sweating etc, all will pass eventually. We have all live through it.

I would like to recommend for you to take half or even less, but I think it is best for you to call your dr and tell him what you experienced and what you would like to do. FRom reading around the web, I have the impression that mainstream drs and endos who are wlling to let a patient try armour, often interpret a patients reaction to a high starting dose (according to Armour and me, not your dr) as the inability to tolerate ARmour. Don't fall into that trap. Work out some time table and dose level you can work on with him.

Ok. That's it for the words of wisdom. Hope this helps.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Talking Re: Had Endo appt. Started Armour. QUESTIONS??? Help please!

When I started on Armour I was started on 1/4 Grain and moved up slowly.....I take 2 1/2 Grains now and never felt weird on any of my doses....I probably need to be increased and am actually waiting for lab results today.

You may want to drop it down and move up slowly.........talk to your Doctor.

We usually hear how they are not willing to increase.........yours started you high right away. Good luck.......

I am fortunate that the Armour really agrees with me...never a problem.

Oleandere

Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Awesome!! U people rawk.

But seriously thank you for the wonderful advice. I will take it all in and call my endo this morning and see what he suggests. His office moves a little slow sometimes at returning calls so I think I will try cutting down my dose for now and go from there. Also I was strickly on T4 meds before no 3's. So this is all new to my system and a shocker. There were moments yesterday when I could feel my body kinda feeling "like my old self" if that makes any sense? LOL. I also have this weird stomach thing going on I think I have either more adhesions or a hernia right below my rib cage on the right side. Whatever it is (I see another surgeon on Dec 4th for it) it really bugs me allot sometimes and effects my breathing also. So, with the new added armour and then this lump I don't know which one is effecting my breathing? Ugg..

But I will for sure stick with the T3 for now just lower my dosage. And call my dr!

THANK YOU!!!!! I can always get such great advice here.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

I agree with Sparkles. She has given you a lot of good advice. IMO most people think they can't take Armour because of not following the advice she has given. It is well worth the time and trouble of converting the right way.

Probably some of your T4 from your Lev. was still in your body when you started the high dose of Armour so you were getting the effects of taking an even higher dose.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

katkatdd:

Just wondering how you are making out on the transition to Armour.

My dr originally suggested a 15 mg dose be added to my 88 mcg of thyroxine to see how i felt and if I could tolerate it. I was originally on 100 mgc of thyroxine. Felt fine and she decided to switch me over to all armour 45 mg.

I had difficulty tolerating the 45 mg. In retrospect, I see there were a number of reasons as I outlined in my earlier answer to you - my body needed to go slowly up on the armour, and I already had a lot of t4 still in my ssytem (since now I see I was probably overmedicated on the thyroxine - but I see now I was trying to compensate for the lower free t3).

Prior to the armour addition (actually I sought out a new dr who would prescribe), I had a test where my free t4 was in range, though a bit high, and my free t3 was not optimum.

At any rate, I reduced my armour to 1/2 a 15 mg pill and dropped the thyroxine altogether. This went fine for a while until I could hardly function - felt like I was in slo-mo and my psych symtoms returned - the horrible anxiety and black mood- major brain fog . I therefore added half my original thyroxine (44 mcg). Felt better mentally.

I got up to 45 mg armour and dropped the 44 mcg thyroxine. For a period of weeks, I thought I would not make it as again my psych symptoms returned. Tho by this time, I had enough thyroid hormone support that my brain fog and energy was stable.

I struggled waiting for the 2 week window until I could go up to 60 mg. Amazingly, at this level my anxiety etc resolved. Just like magic. this was in early Oct.

I am now cutting back on my last bit of anti depressant and it has shifted my need for the armour - I am seeming to need less. I understand that the antidepressant reduces the free t4 - and to some extent the free t3.

I also started a gluten free diet about six weeks ago which may have contributed.

I have cut down on my armour per my dr instructions, since I was feeling over medicated. I don't know what dosage of armour I will settle on, or if I might need some t3 addition - i.e. cytomel.

Even though this has been a bumpy ride, I will never give up. The armour has given me a great mood boost and removed the need for my antidepressnat and anti anxiety drugs. I have a greater feeling of well-being that my thyroxine never provided me with. I have enough energy now to get through a day without having to rest every other minute or recover for days after a busy period.

This is all just to say that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Go with your instincts, if you felt like you "old self" it is real. And how you felt previously not like your old self on thyroxine alone is real too. I doubted all my symptoms at one time or another, but there was never any doubt in my mind about the feelings I felt after taking the armour.

best wishes on your armour journey.

Last edited by sparkles916; 11-17-2007 at 10:41 AM.

Closed Thread