It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
(female)

mattie75 HB User
Question - does hyperthyroid effect blood sugar levels?

I have been having early morning elevated fasting glucose levels and have trouble keeping my blood sugar below 110 during the day - I have Hashimoto's (At least that is what the dr. thinks right now) with intermittent hyper episodes. When I have these my blood sugar seems to rise, especially during the early a.m. I am taking 2.5 mg of cytomel right now trying to ease the drug into my system, but my sugar seems to go up with it.

Also, I am taking inderal during the hyper episodes and wonder if this has anything to do with it? I have never had blood sugar issues before. It seems one problem just seems to create more and when you try to fix one you create others! I guess I am just frustrated.

I think I am feeling a little better on the cytomel. I know that is a low dose and probably hasn't had much time yet but I seem to already have more energy and am sleeping at night for the first time in months. It is strange that more thyroid will help me sleep, I would have thought it would be just the opposite. Shows how much I know.

Thanks for any response

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2007, 08:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Question - does hyperthyroid effect blood sugar levels?

HypOthyroidism can definitely impair glucose usage, which of course can elevate blood sugar. Most of the time, Cytomel alone won't fix hypoT. T4 is just as important as T3; why aren't you taking a T4 drug or a drug that contains both?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
(female)

mattie75 HB User

T4 was high at 13.5 FT4 1.58 and t3 110 FT3 was low/normal at 260. Dr. said she wanted to start on T3 alone and measure at 2 weeks and add T4 as needed. My thyroid blood tests have been a mess with very high antibodies and a high reverse T3.

Symptoms of sweating, hair loss, weight loss, insomnia, low energy, muscle and joint pain, etc. I could go on and on.

Thanks for the reply. Blood sugars not extremely high, just a little above normal. Not very many blood sugar symptoms. Right now I am starting metformin 1/2 a tablet in the morning and increase to 1/2 morning and night next week.

Mattie

Old 11-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

Mattie,

I am on Metformin 1000mg twice a day............ it took me 3 months to get up to that dose due to stomach distress from it. I am hypo thyroid with a multinodular goiter...........unsure about Hashi's my antibodies are negative but my Endo says that does not mean I do not have it.

I have normal Bloodsugars but my Insulin is too high so I have insulin resistance. My Endo says it is all tied in somehow........Metabolic Syndrome.
My fasting insulin is fine but my 2 hour is way elevated........the Metformin drops my blood sugar so I have episodes of hunger which are getting less and less......diarrhea is a side effect of the Metformin also if you already did not know that...It is finally agreeing with me now after 3 months......at first at 500 twice a day it was okay but as I moved it up it really upset my stomach. Now it is better.

I am not as tired now and seem to be able to eat more normal without packing on 5 pounds everytime I look at a pizza or eat carbs.........so the Metformin is working. I kept blaming my thyroid for my symptom but my insulin was causing much of it........

Good luck and do everything you can to keep those BS down to normal....

Oleander

Old 11-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
(female)

Danijela HB User

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet but my sugars go high after eating like i;ve seen anywhere from 7.0 - 9.4 ( x by 18 to get the american version) .... but they crash shortly after and i have a hypoglycemic attack ......this happens quite often during the day... i'm at my wits end with this......

Last edited by Danijela; 11-22-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
(female)

mattie75 HB User

Thanks for the replys. I am so confused by all of this. I don't know if my blood sugar is messing with my thyroid or my thyroid messing with my blood sugar, or if they are just independent of one another.

I am easing into metformin - sometimes I feel like I could throw up, but it seems to pass. As far as diarrhea goes, I would welcome at least a little of that as since thyroid problems I stay constipated all the time.

Since I have such high thyroid antibodies and fluctuating levels I hope that when we get some of that under control that my blood sugar too will normalize. The doctor did tell me that the metformin would help with weight control, and even though I have lost 24 pounds along with great deals of hair, I could still stand to lose about 30 more.

Thanks
Mattie

Old 11-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I was also told I would lose weight on it............ only 6 pounds in 3 months....it seems to have shifted my weight some... I did not lose like the Doctor told me I would but for some it takes up to 6 months to work.

I still have to diet and go to the gym or I creep upward.....What I noticed at first was I could eat more normal without gaining weight but it did not last.

I do feel better and will stick with it.

I would like to lose 20 more pounds.......... Good luck Oleander

Closed Thread