It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kmatthew HB User
Midwest and Deb, I could go on a cruise with the money I am spending on my Teeth!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving you guys.
Sorry I have not posted in a while. I am mostly good. Went to the doctor Tuesday for a checkup. Cat Scan clear yeah!!! 1 year this week......
Levels a little low for T3. Sorry I forgot to get a copy fo them. All I remember was TSH was 1.1 and the T4 was I think 242 which is like 8 points from the bottom. T3 was increased to three cytomels a day instead of 2. I take one in the morning, two at lunch. I had some chest pain today and became dizzy in the pm, so I am going to cut back to a half I think and see if that helps. Any input????????????
I am so depressed. I went to the dentist. Since my August root canal, I now have 5 cavities and another one that is danger of absess!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel like i am going to lose my teeth. Dentist told me that they are teeth and they will remian in there and she will fix them not to worry, but I never had cavities until this. She says it is my medicine drying out the mouth. I take the cortef, florinef, dostinex, lexapro, cytomel and the aldoctone along with the synthroid everyday...............
I don't know what else to do. I am so depressed..... 4000.00 later.
I guess I should just get over it. Last year at this time I could not walk.
The root canals just take the adrenals over the top. This will be my fourth one in a year..................

I hope both of you are well. Other than the teeth, I am great.
KM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User
Re: Midwest and Deb, I could go on a cruise with the money I am spending on my Teeth!

I feel for you.........I also am having serious teeth problems......it has cost me a fortune this year even with my dental insurance...I have had several actually crack or crumble unexpectedly......root canals, crowns and now bridges !!!!! It seems sudden. I am almost scared to bite into anything.

I am 54 and my dentist says this happens to women as they age....???????? My Dad is 94 and still has all his teeth...I have always gone to the dentist and cared for my teeth...........5000. this year and the year is not over.

I was also told about the drying out of saliva from medications but also drop in estrogen.

I feel for you Kmathews... Did not mean to highjack your post..........I could just relate..........I have 2 dental appts next week............ I send you much sympathy....

teeth are so important.........

Happy Thanksgiving to all.........

Oleander

Old 11-22-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Midwest and Deb, I could go on a cruise with the money I am spending on my Teeth!

Oh my dear KM and Oleander... I can commiserate! I'm in the middle of having a crown placed right now, to the tune of $1400. I have a lot of other work to be done, too, but I have to wait for the next insurance calendar year to start.

My dentist tells me the same thing... Not to worry... that he can make sure I die with my natural teeth.

My teeth have always been bad, though. And to top it off, I have a love/hate relationship with them that is hard for me to get around. They are crooked and ugly, so I feel they aren't worth all that money to fix; but the thought of dentures creeps me out so much, I'm desperate to spend what it takes to keep these. (What a psychological mess I am! LOL) Besides, my mom got dentures in her 30's, and always stressed to me to do what it takes to keep my natural teeth. My aunt tells me that, too. I constantly think about it during each root canal and crown placement procedure... lol

Old 11-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

I feel for all of you! I hate mouthwork lately. Never bothered me to go to the dentist, but now that my teeth are in such a fragile state, I tend to put it off. 5-6 years ago I had about 10 fillings changed, and I have been a baby about teeth work since. The one root canal I had failed, so just had that tooth pulled. I am missing a few molars on one side, so I eat on the other and it's wearing those down. I haven't had the money to go get those stainless steel rod things(teeth) put in, but maybe next year. I have broken a tooth before over eating a shelled sunflower seed-on the opposite side of my mouth. I guess my weak teeth go along with my new hip ostopenia diagnosis. Fun.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

My Turkey is in the oven....I am trying to adjust cooking for just 2 people this year......my daughters went out of State with their mates.......so just me and my son......

I have an appt with my Endo Thursday and I will ask him about the teeth and if there is any connection to thyroid, thryoid meds, or if he can give me any insight on this......I am on Armour, bp medication and Metformin but have only been on the Metformin for 3 months......my teeth have been doing this for the last year.

Yes we all could have gone on great vacation with our money spent...

Happy Thanksgiving.........

Old 11-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Red Maple HB UserRed Maple HB User

Ok, so I have to jump in here too. Tooth problems! Ain't it just the pits!!!! I have been fortunate this year and just had to have a crown replaced. It "fell out" one evening as I was tasting my cream sauce for a dish I was making, I didn't even get to eat something yummy and gooey to make it fall out. Fortunately I caught it in time that I didn't chew it and the dentist was able to just glue it back on. No need for a new one to be made.

Last year however, I had an awful root canal and several other problems. Nothing like giving the dentist all our money and not even getting to buy something fun with it. I too want to keep my natural teeth as long as possible, but I'd rather spend the $$$ on new shoes, a great vacation, lovely sheets and towels etc. Certainly NOT in my mouth!

Hope you all are having a great Thanksgiving. My turkey is cooking away. This year I have only my immediate family! yeah! The extended family is with others so it's just hubby, my two sons, and me! It's glorious!

Deb

Old 11-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

kmatthew HB User

Thank all of you for cheering me up. At least I am not alone. My root canal is Thursday.......................
I got put on some ultra power toothpaste. 5000 something or other of Floride, and my husband bought me a sonicare toothbrush to see if that helps. it vibrates alot but hey if it helps. My nine year old heard us talking about my expensive teeth and he said at this rate we will never go to Hawaii....... Kids got to love them......

Old 11-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

kmatthew..........you do know that the floride will effect you thyroid meds don't you. Floride works like an anti thyroid medication. Are you still seeing the same dr. (V. Rodriguez)? All the research on floride that I've read is very negative. I don't want to be negative but you might want to research and ask you thyroid dr. about it.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

kmatthew HB User

I did not know that. It is just toothpaste. Are you sure that it will mess something up if you don't swallow it?

Old 11-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Good point about fluoride, Shmily. The stuff is evil to thyroids. I don't avoid fluoride toothpaste, because finding a brand without it is just too hard. But neither would I take fluoride treatments if offered, or use fluoride rinses. There is simply no proof that fluoride does adult teeth any good. Why take the risk?

I just had my teeth cleaned. The hygienist told me she was recently diagnosed hypo. She thought she may have been having hypo symptoms for up to 5 years before getting it checked. The hygienist I had last time also told me she is hypo, too. I admit to wondering if they are somehow overexposed to fluoride and whether hygienists are universally more at risk because of it. I discussed the fluoride danger to thyroid with her at this last cleaning. She had no idea that fluoride was the first anti-thyroid drug. Providing the facts to professionals about it doesn't jibe with the ADA agenda, I suppose.

The receptionist in this office has been hypo since she was 16, presumably unrelated to fluoride at that age... but who knows? Maybe she got multiple fluoride treatments as a kid? Or lots of unprotected X-ray exposure to her throat? Seems to be an epidemic of sorts in that office group.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

kmatthew HB User

Yes, I still see Dr. Rodriguez. I will call her on Monday. Thank you for telling me. What would I do if I got back to square one?

Old 11-23-2007, 10:30 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

kmatthew HB User

Midwest,
Would you stop using the toothpaste It has 5000 something or other of flouride

Old 11-23-2007, 10:40 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I get a "floride free" toothpaste at Walmart's. Don't know if I can put the name of it on here but it has Tom's in the name. There is one with and one without floride.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

kmatthew HB User

What am I supposed to do about all the cavities if they can't treat it. They claim it is due to the medications drying out the mouth.

Old 11-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would think that even if you don't swallow it, it would still be absorbed by the tissue in your mouth. I am also careful about my drinking water and drink mostly bottled water. So much floride is added to our water systems. And like Midwest said, floride doesn't have much if any effect preventing cavities in adults. Could you find out which medication is causing your mouth to be dry and maybe that could be changed to another med without that side effect. Do you drink enough water?

Closed Thread