It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
(female)

Melodyannie HB User
Having Thyroidectomy 12/13/07 and terrified of general anasthesia!!

Hi all, I'm a post newbie. This site has been very helpful, but I'm still very scared to have this surgery. This will be my first surgery ever. I have a nodule on my left thyroid and its about 1.5 cm. My biopsies both came back benign but the nodule is growing so my doctor wants to remove it before it gets too big. I am so scared to go under anaesthesia! There is a movie that just came out last Friday called "AWAKE" with Jessica Alba and Hayden Christiansen. It's about a man who under goes general anaesthesia for heart surgery and he ends up being awake during his surgery and the doctors don't realize it. This terrifying experience is called "anaesthesia awareness". I am SO scared this will happen to me. Why did this movie have to come out right before I was to have surgery?! I can't sleep at night just thinking about this. Has anyone else heard about this experience? I know that when I get on that O.R. table and they put in my i.v. i am going to freak. Can someone please give me some reasurrance or some personal experience of their thyroid surgery? Has anyone ever worried about this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Having Thyroidectomy 12/13/07 and terrified of general anasthesia!!

Well I have not had thyroid surgery.. but I have been put under with anesthesia four times. One for my knee, one for the clean up portion of my emergency c-section, and twice for sinus surgery, tonsillectomy, and adenoidectomy. My son has been put under twice.. for (1) adenoidectomy and (2) tonsillectomy. My husband was put under for shoulder surgery, GI hernia stretching, and sinus surgery. My mother tonsillectomy and sinus surgery and partial thyroidectomy. My Aunt total thyroidectomy, c-section, historectomy... I can keep going, but I think that is enough.

No problems. Problems are rare.. very very rare. I have never heard of anyone being aware under anesthsia before. I am certain you will be fine. Voice your concerns to your anesthesiologist during preop prep and give him a good chuckle and let him allieviate your concerns. I truely think you will be just fine. They take extreme care when preparing and performing ones surgery.

Good luck and best wishes on your upcoming surgery.
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
(female)

Melodyannie HB User

Mkgbrook, thank you so much for your reasurrance. I have always been like this, just worried about everything. I will talk to my doctor on the day of the surgery and hopefully he can calm me down just like you did.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I never have worried over me.. but when I had to put my son down for his surgeries at the age of 2 and 3.5 years.. I cried and worried and made myself sick. He came out of it like he went into it.. happy go lucky on the red love juice. He was so sweet and I can tell he stands a chance of being a very happy drunk. He rode that gurney down the hallway waving sloppily and grinning and telling everything and everyone that he loved them. That is a happy memory. The worst part is the IV.. make sure they have some one good administer it. They burn and hurt otherwise. You will do fine and keep popping in here with any questions.

SIncerely,
MG

Old 12-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #5
(female)

Melodyannie HB User

Thanks Francee. You know, I researched this experience "aneasthesia awareness" and although it is very rare, it usually happens to those people who under go heart surgery and trauma surgeries. So that makes sense that when your doctor told you that the one time he experienced it was with a patient under going heart surgery. I will keep everyone updated after my surgery. I'm just so nervous, I know that I will be crying my eyes out on the O.R. surgery. LOL

Old 12-06-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Well, definitely don't go see that movie!

Good luck with your thyroidectomy, I had that, and prior to that a different surgery, and my thyroidectomy was a breeze, so I hope yours is too.

By the time they get the IV in you, you'll be counting backwards, and you won't remember a thing!!!

My friend actually had a surgeon that does thyroid surgery without anesthesia, but dopes you up, so you don't even technically need it, which means you'd be fine no matter what.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #7
(female)

3sweeties2005 HB User

I was under the general anesthesia for my TT, waking up during anesthesia was the last of my worries. They gave me some relaxant medication prior to entering the operating room and I was already in lala land.

Good Luck,
A.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:18 PM   #8
(female)

Melodyannie HB User

Thanks you guys so much for the reassurance. I'm feeling alot better. With your thyroidectomies, did anyone experience vocal cord damage? I have alot of worries about this surgery and loosing my voice is a huge worry? Has anyone experienced this after their thryoidectomy?

Old 12-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #9
(female)

Melodyannie HB User

Hey guys, i'm having my surgery in 4 days! I am so nervous, my stomach is in knots. I am so scared to go into the operating room. I just want this to be over with.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Bengie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodyannie View Post
Hi all, I'm a post newbie. This site has been very helpful, but I'm still very scared to have this surgery. This will be my first surgery ever. I have a nodule on my left thyroid and its about 1.5 cm. My biopsies both came back benign but the nodule is growing so my doctor wants to remove it before it gets too big. I am so scared to go under anaesthesia! There is a movie that just came out last Friday called "AWAKE" with Jessica Alba and Hayden Christiansen. It's about a man who under goes general anaesthesia for heart surgery and he ends up being awake during his surgery and the doctors don't realize it. This terrifying experience is called "anaesthesia awareness". I am SO scared this will happen to me. Why did this movie have to come out right before I was to have surgery?! I can't sleep at night just thinking about this. Has anyone else heard about this experience? I know that when I get on that O.R. table and they put in my i.v. i am going to freak. Can someone please give me some reasurrance or some personal experience of their thyroid surgery? Has anyone ever worried about this?

I've had three surgeries; Knee for a torn ACL, appendectomy, and brain surgery. I've never woken up or been awake during the surgies. what you are talking about is rare. you are worring for no reason.

They put the IV in way before they put you to sleep.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:46 PM   #11
(female)

aussiejenni HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodyannie View Post
Hey guys, i'm having my surgery in 4 days! I am so nervous, my stomach is in knots. I am so scared to go into the operating room. I just want this to be over with.
I had my thyroidectomy just over a year ago and like you was so afraid. My anaethetist gave me a tablet to swallow an hour before the operation to calm me down and I dont even remember going into the operating theatre...it was hours after the operation before I woke up and it was all over!
I will be thinking of you. Goodluck and I will be looking forward to reading your post after your surgery is all over. Remember the anaethetist and doctors are there to look after you....you will be fine.
Hugs from Jenni.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
(female)

aussiejenni HB User

Hello Melodyannie
I was wondering how you are doing since your surgery???
I hope you are getting plenty of rest.
Jenni.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #13
(female)

Melodyannie HB User

Hi guys, I had my surgery on thursday. I have to say I was so nervous the day before I actually had to go to the doctor for an anxiety attack. My chest was tight for the whole day before surgery so the doctor presecribed me adavin and I slept pretty good and woke up feeling better. Once I actually got to the hospital to have my surgery, I was pretty calm. The day had finally come and I didn't have to worry anymore. The anaesthesiologist came to talk to me and he was quite a character. He made me feel so at ease and made me laugh. I told him about my fear of 'anaesthesia awareness' and he kinda chuckled and told me that I had absolutely nothing to worry about. He explained to me something about I would be monitored the whole time and that he would pick up right away if I was having any awareness. I felt so comfortable with him. He was excellent. Then he said he was going to begin to give me a relaxant of some sort and all i remember was the weird tingly sensation going through my body and I faded into sleep. The next thing I remember was slowly waking up in recovery with quite alot of pain, for some reason it was tolerable pain. The worst part was not being able to lift your own head. It was such a struggle. I had to have the nurse grab my hand and actually pull me up out of bed so that I didn't have to use any neck muscles. I did have a drain in my neck which didn't bother me really. The nurse would just come in and drain it every 4-5 hours. The really difficult part for me was sitting up in bed and actually walking to the bathrrom. You have the weirdest sensation in your neck, like a pressure/pulling feeling where like all the blood and fluids run to your neck. I still get that sensation today, 4 days post-op, but not as bad. Sometimes I feel like if I move my head to the side or put my head back, i am actually tugging at the stiches and I'm always afraid they will rip. I took my first shower today after 4 days! It was the best shower of my life. I was so filthy. So after weeks of so much anxiety, I would say this surgery wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I am still very exhausted. I always know that I've over-exherted myself because I feel headachy and so tired. i am taking vicadin for my pain, which helps alot.

But you know, i can't truly relax yet because now I have to wait for my test results. Both my biopsies showed that my nodule was benign and my surgery was actually elective, meaning, my doctor gave me the choice to remove it or not. I know it was getting bigger, so I decided to get rid of it before it got too big. But I still can't put my worries to rest because there is that part of me that is so afraid that the biopsies may have not told the true story. Is there any of you out there that can put my mind to rest and who have had success stories where both their biopsies were benign and after the nodule was removed, the nodule actually did turn out to be benign? I do not want to go through this surgery again. I just want this chapter of my life over. it is absolute torture waiting for test results!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

I'm glad it all went well. I've had probably 7 different surgeries in my life, and the only major problem I've ever had is the nausea/vomiting after surgery. I've not had my thyroid out, though, so can't relate to the neck movement stuff!

Old 12-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
(female)

Styller117 HB User

Hi
I too got sick to my stomach when i came out. I was so drugged up and so sick. The told me they could give me something for feeling sick to my stomach I kept on telling them no more drugs they are making me more sick. I fell asleep i woke up feeling wonderful. The nurse was there i guess my doctor who i trust told the nurse while i was sleeping to put that anti nausua (sp) stuff in my iv she did when i woke up i was in pain with my incision but i was not getting sick anymore and felt so much better. So there is medication for that sick feeling people get after general.
Good Luck
Styller

Closed Thread