It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User
Quick Question About Armour And Levo Together???

Hello~

U know at my last endo appt when he agreed to put me on the Armour he didn't say anything to me about stopping the levothyroxine I was on. But I took it to mean that once I started on the Armour to stop the levo is that correct for most people??? I will call his office on Monday to double check but it just struck me! LOL. I am now wondering if I was supposed to be taking both or just the Armour now?? Sheesh I should of asked him I guess. But he didn't even mention it at all either. ha

Old 12-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Quick Question About Armour And Levo Together???

Yes unless you are an over converting T4 to T3 and need the additional T4 there would be no reason to keep taking the Levo once you start taking the Armour. What dosage of Armour are you replacing your Levo with.. and what dosage was your Levo?

SIncerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Armour Thyroid -----------------------------Levothroxine equivalent dosage
- Tablets 15 mg (¼ grain)--------------- 25 mcg
- Tablets 30 mg (½ grain)--------------- 50 mcg
- Tablets 60 mg (1 grain)--------------- 100 mcg
- Tablets 90 mg (1½ grain)------------ 150 mcg

Dug this up so that you can do the approx conversion yourself and see if you are equivalent or starting off at a lower dose to determine ability to tolerate the T3 supplementation in conjunction with the T4 supplementation.

MG

Old 12-09-2007, 04:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

That Armour conversion is too low for the Armour (for most people).

This is one problems with using Armour, staying on too low a dose (using that conversion chart) and that causes continous hypo symptoms. And the doctors will often (wrongly) continue to use the TSH to determine the Armour dose....and doctors and patients will wrongly think they gave Armour a good try, but it just didn't work. When you are on enough Armour the T3 in it tends to supress the TSH to 0 (that is why you shouldn't use the TSH to determine Armour doses). Use the Free T3 & Free T4 (and of course how you feel and other symptoms).

Most people seem to need around 3 grains of Armour a day (best taken under the tongue and split into 2 doses a day). 1 grain = 60 mgs. With that conversion chart most people would only be on about 90 mgs & that dose is likely too low for most people. And compound that by the doctor using the TSH as a guide.....and you end up on too low a dose of Armour and the concluson that the Armour doesn't work.

I suggest that you slowly decrease the levothyroixine as you increase the Armour dose. I didn't do that & now realise that it would have better to do that because you need to slowly increase the Armour dose to adjust to the T3 in it. The early doses will be too low by them selves....so slowly decrease the T4 dose you are already on. You can cut the pills in half and then fourths.

I am now on a combination of Synthroid and Armour now....after 25 + years of Synthroid alone (and feelilng lousy for much of it) and 1 year on Armour alone...my FREE T3 was too high...so I am not taking a combo of the two with success so far.

I hope this helps & you are feeling better soon. Best wishes.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

Once again great info everyone. Thank you soooo much!

I am currently on only 45 grains of the armour where I was taking the 112mcg's of the levo when I was on it. Well it has been a couple weeks now of the no levo so I wonder should I try to add some levo back into my system now that I have been off of it for this long? Or just stick to the armour upping my dose every other week???

See, when I first started taking the armour I felt really, really good! Well I am now thinking I was feeling so well because I still have some of the levo left in my system. But now I am starting to feel allot of symptoms coming back and am wondering if I need a boost of something! This whole process sure is allot of work..

I don't see my endo again until mid Jan and have my lab sheet for my labs as he is checking my other hormones also. But I don't want to do them now since by the time I see him those numbers I am sure will be wrong. So I am just trying to tweek things myself here for a bit and see what works.

So with that conversion chart I really am UNDER medicated then with the Armour in comparison to what I was taking with the levo! Hummm...

I don't know what to do for sure?? It is all good advice!

Old 12-09-2007, 10:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

I definately think you are right (about the Levo leaving your system) & now you are left on a too dose of the Armour alone.

If you stay the current course...you will feel pretty bad & your FREE T3 & FREE T4 next time will reflect just how bad you feel . BUT your TSH may not.

If you take a little of the Levo (and stay on the current Armour dose) you may feel better in a few days (but your blood test will be a little skewed).

You will have to tell the doctor that you were taking a small dose of the Levo too when you see him again, (so they can consider that when they see your next blood test). Of couse they will not like that because they are more interested in getting an accurate lab report (than how you feel through this Christmas season!!).

I would do it any way, (take a little of the T4, maybe half of your old dose) and either call them and tell them that is what you want to do (and they may say no) or I would just do it and tell them when you see him next time.

And you know what...all you might need is a combination of the last Levo dose you were on and some Armour added to that (to keep your T3 up to a good level). That is what ended up working best for me.

But I really think you are in for a time of misery as that Levo leaves your system and you are left on too low a dose of Armour. My palms even turned orange from being so hypo on the Armour alone at first!

Not trying to tell you what to do here....I just don't want you to suffer and feel bad during the holidays (when you don't have to)....like I did for years when my teen-aged children were little children (and I was on too low a dose of Synthroid alone and my Free T3 was too low & my TSH was too high).

Can I give the title of a bood without having my posting priviledges cut on this site?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

katkatdd HB User

U know what that really makes sense to me! Maybe I will even start lower than half of the levo dose I was on just to see if that gives a kick start. I was at 112mcg's of the levo before and I do have some 50mcg pills though. So I am thinking maybe even if I cut the 50mcg pill in half and just start real low at 25 and see if it helps any.. Ugg... This is all so complicated isn't it? LOL

ANd yea I think u can put the title of a book here. I have before and have had no problems. I think we just can't list any websites or any personal information like names or personal emails. Correct me if I am wrong but that is what I am thinking!!

Closed Thread