It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #16
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User
Re: Quick question before tomorrow, please Midwest? Reece?

Quote:
Originally Posted by osteoblast View Post
Lori- Please don't worry too much. I have wasted alot of time worrying myself over various health issues and it didn't help. Also the worry side tracked me from clearly focusing on what I needed to do. I look back now and see that in my high worry times I was in sort of a fog. Maybe some of it was hypo symptoms , but some of it was just plain fear. Anyway, you have a project ahead of you and you will be starting it and moving on. Just wanted to add to what Christine said about the Anemia board , the folks there were a wonderful help when I was working on my ferritin.
Thanks Osteoblast for the great advice, I truly wasn't worried until they throw all this at you all at once. I saw the surgeon for follow up, then the endo PA for follow up, plus bloodwork, plus another doc. appt,. next week, I am just tired of it, that's all. I went in with a great attitude, feeling good, the surgeon commented I looked great, then all the bloodwork went to hell. Now the PA from yesterday took 5 vials of blood to check new things and to recheck the other things. I just want to be done for a bit. Boy, I should check that bad attitude!!!! Thank you again,
Lori

Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #17
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Lori--my ferritin was at a 5 when I first started checking it. And I had checked it about 6 weeks after I started some low dose iron. So you are not alone. There are others on the anemia board who have reported even lower ferritin numbers. But basically, when ferritin gets around 5, it means that all of your iron stores are depleted. If you go too long like this, then you will start to become anemic.

I don't normally advise people to go against their doctors, but *most* people are going to have a real hard time if they tried to take 3 325 mg Ferrous Sulphates in one day. You need to take one tablet for a week, then on the 2nd week take two per day, and if that goes well, work up to 3.

Believe me, with a ferritin of 5, even one tablet a day is really going to help you.

As for me, I take two Flintstone Chewables with iron per day and am working myself up to a higher supplement (I've been doing this for a year as I have a sensitive stomach). My ferritin did go up slowly but it is going up. I went from a 5 and then two months later I was at a 12, then 3 months later a 24. I have sort of leveled off now so that is why I am increasing my dosage.
Hi Christine,
So do you feel better? Is the iron helping you? I hope so. I hope I am not anemic, but I have to wait for the blood test results. Thank you again for telling me to ease into it, I will. Also, thanks again for telling me about the spacing. I told my husband, I seriously don't know how people get through all this without people who have been there, such as yourself, to go to for great advice. You have truly helped me so many times, and I am so grateful for that. The docs don't tell you all the details, you guys do!!!!
Lori

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 10:46 AM   #18
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by famnd View Post
Hi Lori,

I had trouble with different b/p meds from different manufacturers. Finally found that Eckard Drug will speicial order generic meds from just one manufacturer if need be.

I have to take brand name Synthyoid because I'm allergic to yellow dye which is in most of the generic brands. Synthroid has one white tablet that I can cut into pieces without the dye. I know what you mean going from taking no pills most of your life to taking a ton. It's a pain but better than the alternative. Fam
Hi Fam, Thanks for the reply, you are so right. It is a pain, but I agree that it is going to be fine. I just have to get it all figured out, I will, with all the help and advice from all you kind folks on here. Thank you,
Lori

Old 01-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
Veteran
(female)

sparkles916 HB User

Oh goodness, that is terrible about the parathyroid as a result of your TT. I do hope it works out for you. Thanks for your reply and good luck wish...I'll need it

Old 01-04-2008, 01:00 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori123 View Post
Hi Christine,
So do you feel better? Is the iron helping you? I hope so.
Lori

Yes, I do feel better than I did last year at this time (when I was anemic). I think even before I was anemic I was having problem. I remember I used to do a 3-mile walk, no problem. All of a sudden, I just couldn't do the walk anymore. Or I would do it and then I was literally dragging for days. So, I gradually quit walking. Then I bought a treadmill and even 15 minutes on that left me VERY tired.

A lot of that has gone away, but I have SO far to go. I think all those years, my ferritin was just dropping and dropping. Then because of the fatigue I became very inactive. Now, my body is so deconditioned that it is going to take me a long time to get the strength back. On top of that, my ferritin is just not optimal so that doesn't help.

But, yes, much of my anxiety has decreased and I do have more stamina to get the chore stuff done on the weekends. When my ferritin was at 5, I was basically just sitting on the couch all the time. Any task seemed insurmountable.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #21
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Hi Christine, I am so glad you you are doing better now, although having a ways to go. I'll take one day at a time, and keep plugging along, too. The nurse called from the endo office and said that my cbc was all normal,my calcium went back up to 8.1, in one week? down to 7.5, then back to 8.1, if I had known about the fluctuation I would not have been concerned.{ still low, but maybe MY normal, it never goes above 8.1, even though I take 3000 mg calcium every day} The Ferritin stayed at 5, they want it up to at least 70,THAT seems like a LONG ways to go. Now the hemoglobin was 11.6 and the iron was 32 on a range of 35-150. So, isn't it good that the cbc was normal, and any comments on the rest? Obviously the iron is low, but maybe not SOOO low? ALMOST within that range, so is that better? I don't have the energy tonight to check out all the #'s, etc. Any comments would be great. Thank you so much, christine.
Lori

Old 01-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

ChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB UserChristineVA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori123 View Post
Hi Christine, I am so glad you you are doing better now, although having a ways to go. I'll take one day at a time, and keep plugging along, too. The nurse called from the endo office and said that my cbc was all normal,my calcium went back up to 8.1, in one week? down to 7.5, then back to 8.1, if I had known about the fluctuation I would not have been concerned.{ still low, but maybe MY normal, it never goes above 8.1, even though I take 3000 mg calcium every day} The Ferritin stayed at 5, they want it up to at least 70,THAT seems like a LONG ways to go. Now the hemoglobin was 11.6 and the iron was 32 on a range of 35-150. So, isn't it good that the cbc was normal, and any comments on the rest? Obviously the iron is low, but maybe not SOOO low? ALMOST within that range, so is that better? I don't have the energy tonight to check out all the #'s, etc. Any comments would be great. Thank you so much, christine.
Lori
Actually, your hemoglobin is a tad on the low side and that makes you look very mildly anemic. Most lab ranges have the lower end for women at 12. At 11.6 you are just starting with anemia. Funny thing, when I first discovered my ferritin was at 5, my hemoglobin was at 11.7. Very close to yours. Now that my ferritin is up to 20, my hemoglobin is at 13.9. Looking over past hemoglobins of when I was normal, I was well into the 14 range.

I don't put much stock into serum iron scores. Most docs don't even test that anymore. Serum iron can change 20 times a day depending on what you eat, what you didn't eat, etc. It is the amount of iron circulating in your bloodstream at that given moment. The ferritin and hemoglobin are the most important numbers to watch. RBCs, hematocrit, and MCV are also good numbers to monitor and are usually on your CBC.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #23
Veteran
(female)

Lori123 HB User

Thanks again Christine for your help!! I appreciate it. Just trying to get WELL. Glad to have your advice and all the info you have given me.
Take care, Lori

Closed Thread