It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #1
(female)

glynis_girl HB User
Question re: Cytomel with Synthroid/Armour

My doctor switched me from 120 mg Armour to 25 mg Cytomel and 75 mg Synthroid. What is the ratio of T3 to T4 in Armour? I think that what I'm taking now packs a way stronger T3 punch...and I don't think I like it. Armour was so gentle. Even though my total dose was the equivalent of 200 mcg Synthroid and the new dosage is "lower," equivalent to 175 mcg Synthroid... it feels stronger to me.

I'm in my second week of the switch and it has been building up so I keep feeling tense and on the edge of anxiety. I am splitting the Cytomel and taking 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon and between 2 and 4 hours after each dose, I get very edgy.

If it's just that the ratio is too high, I could ask the doctor to change it up. But if Cytomel just tends to hit a different way than the natural T3, I'd rather go back to Armour.

Thanks for any input!

Glynis

Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Question re: Cytomel with Synthroid/Armour

Two grains of Armour (120 mgs) contains 76 mcgs of T4 and 18 mcgs of T3. So the switch was roughly equivalent.

I couldn't take even 50 mcgs of Synthroid without my FT levels shooting through the roof. Yet I managed to slowly work up to 2 grains of Armour without once going hyper. As you said, I found it "gentler" on my system. Not that it works that way for everyone; but for me, it did.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #3
(female)

glynis_girl HB User

Thanks - so there is actually a bit more T3 to the mix I was give, almost 1/3 more. That would explain things a bit to me because I am extremely sensitive to medications, to changes in dosages, etc.

I went back to my Armour today and although I'm sure the Cytomel is still a bit in my system, I do feel better and less hyper.

I also found out that Cytomel and Synthroid have lactose as a filler. I didn't know that - that could explain the digestive issues which I thought were from being on the hyper side. I tend to have problems with lactose.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

Glynis girl - I'm just curious as to why your doc wanted to switch you from taking Armour? We see so many switch over to Armour but not so much from Armour to Synthroid. I just recently added Cytomel to my Synthroid and also noticed it made me VERY edgy and once I got up to 10 mcgs also had bowel issues (TMI). I bumped back down to 5 mcgs and seem better at that dosage but I'm wondering if my adrenals issues are the cause of me not being able to tolerate much Cytomel.

Closed Thread