It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

b&wcats HB User
Question Please Help -- Levoxyl potency question

Hi Everyone,
I was doing much, much better. TSH was a bit low, but feeling good. We adjusted my Levoxyl down a bit but it all seemed pretty stable. Then I refilled my prescription of levoxyl beginning of this week, and yesterday and today I am crashing like I haven't for months. I feel like ****, totally tired, cold, dizzy, stomach issues, you know, all the hypo symptoms are back big time. It feels like I'm not taking any meds. I haven't changed my diet or any supplements etc.
I got a new bottle that I paid for out of pocket from the same pharmacy, and I will be getting yet another bottle (also out of pocket) from a different pharmacy (same chain) on Monday evening. This is the second time that I've had very odd huge thyroid crash issues after refilling my levoxyl prescription. The pharmacies are all quite warm in the winter, and I am wondering if anyone else is having levoxyl potency problems. I did a blood draw this morning to look at my TSH levels (always fun to do while crashing) and I'll get the results early next week, because it could be that the slight downward adjustment of medication (a total of about 12 mcg) finally caught up with me, but I can't imagine it would cause this huge huge crash. I can barely keep my head up.
I know that levoxyl used to have issues with potency but it seemed to be resolved. I can't take synthroid, it doesn't work for me, and levoxyl usually does good. (I take the 50 mcg tablets -- I was on 2 1/2 of them now I'm on 2 1/4 of them -- they are dye free and the only ones that work for me). I also take cytomel.
I'm quite discouraged, because I haven't crashed like this in ages, and I don't know how to get out of this if it's the medication itself.
Any info / thoughts and so forth much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Please Help -- Levoxyl potency question

It is possible. Call your pharmacy and ask them if they have changed suppliers for the generic levo. It may be a combination of a different distributor of levo and the decreased dosage. So you were at 2.5 = 125 mcg then you dropped to 112.5 mcg = 2.25 tablets. If you are right on optimal it shouldn't cause that much of a drop unless your thyroid has died a bit more and thus your needs increased. Normal replacement dosage for a completely dead thyroid is between 100 - 150 mcg depending on your metabolic needs. I wish I could help more.

MG

Old 01-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User

I also reduced my meds Levothroxine by 12.5mcg and I feel like hell. I take Armour + a little levo.
I have been so cold and tired, never thought that such a small decrease can have such a big effect.
I will give it a few weeks and if I don't feel better I have my labs done again.
I am so tired of this Thyroid madness !!

Last edited by mauz; 01-11-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
(female)

b&wcats HB User

thanks for the replies! It's not generic-- levoxyl is a name brand that has had some troubles in the past w/ consistency but they are supposed to be OK now. I am using a big chain pharmacy and I think I have to change that because they so don't care at all. They think I'm crazy for thinking that it could be something in how the medication either gets to them, is stored in their warehouse or stores, or combination thereof.
And yeah, you wouldn't think that a 12.5 mcg reduction could make you feel like this would you? Yucky! I hate being medication dependent, although I am also grateful for the fact the medication exists at all and is relatively side effect free.
I'm impressed you are up for waiting a few weeks before possibly adjusting. I'm going to be bugging my endo starting on Monday to see if he thinks I should go back up (with the TSH results of course weighting in)! Dividing a 1/2 of a 1/2 of levoxyl (which is a cleverly shaped pill designed to look like a butterfly/ thyroid) is quite a challenge and I'm sure that I haven't been nailing it every time anyway!
thanks again, I know, doesn't the tiredness suck? Do you drink coffee? I've been told not to and I haven't been but.....

Old 01-12-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
I am using a big chain pharmacy and I think I have to change that because they so don't care at all. They think I'm crazy for thinking that it could be something in how the medication either gets to them, is stored in their warehouse or stores, or combination thereof.
Does that knot your knickers as much as it does mine? Before I started mail ordering my Armour, I was getting it from - I'll say their name out loud - Walgreen's. Each month, I was shorted one tablet. After 4 months of that, I went in and must have looked like a strangler whom they should pay some attention to. A little old (and I mean old, like 75) pharmacy tech finally looked into it. He explained that they dispense according to weight of the med, not the count of the tablets. The weight in the database for 30 tablets of 120 mgs was light, therefore, they were giving me only 29 pills each month. He then had the audacity to say "It's the most accurate method." I was louder than I should have been when I yelled back, "Well... Obviously NOT!"

If you can imagine every 2-grain Armour-user in America getting shorted every month, that saves Walgreen's a lot of pills. Plus, most people don't count their tablets when they refill, so they are likely running out of med earlier than they should, but their insurers are not allowing them to refill because they limit refills to within a week of using up the previous refill. They may have to go without med for several days before the insurer allows them a refill. (Don't know if that made sense... but I know what I mean. lol )

Yes, I have to wonder about the expiration date on their wholesale supply. Although, Levoxyl is a popular brand, and turnover should be high at a large chain. But still... I wonder about their quality control.

Closed Thread