It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
(female)

golf ball HB User
5cm Nodule just turned up in my thyroid from nowhere! anyone else have this happen?

Hi,
I found a 'golf ball' in my throat last week. no pain no knowledge of it being there before. gp said it was probably a multi-nodular goitre. ultrasound said it was a large nodule within the right lobe of the thyroid. no-one thinks its cancerous but fine needle biopsy is next week 'just in case'. tsh and free t4 and free t3 levels are said to be fine. no-one is worried but me and am having trouble getting through the weekend (test is tuesday). everyone older than me in my family has had cancer (thats 4 people) (im 42). have been told that no matter what biopsy says, i will need surgeon as lump is leaning on my windpipe and hurts to swallow and yawn. anyone been through any of this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
(female)

cheryltwin HB Usercheryltwin HB User
Re: 5cm Nodule just turned up in my thyroid from nowhere! anyone else have this happe

I noticed my 5cm nodule out of the blue as well... have had 2 ultrasounds and 2 FNA's... all came back indeterminate as well as full blood work coming back normal... I do not notice any pressing on my throat or have any discomfort at this point so am just keeping an eye on it... of course, there is no way to know if it's cancer without taking it out... but I am going to wait awhile... If you're worried about the FNA, it's really not a big deal...
Best of luck to you...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
(female)

stina3246 HB User
Re: 5cm Nodule just turned up in my thyroid from nowhere! anyone else have this happe

I found mine 15 years ago pretty much the same way. I was rubbing my throat and felt it. It was over 3cm at this point and seemed to just pop up over night. My doctors have always taken the "just watch it" approach. I've had many biopsies and ultrasounds. Results always come back benign but it has grown some and is now pressing on things causing discomfort so I'm having it out. I have heard that more then 90% of nodules are benign and if you MUST have cancer...thyroid cancer is one of the most forgiving and easy to cure.
I do wish I'd had it out sooner because I've lived for 15 years with some stress over it. If I'd had it out before the surgery would be easier and I wouldn't be going through all this stress now.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

I have had a 1 cm^3 node grow in a four month period of time. I have Hashi's. I am 32. I go to see my ENtT in a few weeks. I do not know if he will biopsy it or not. Either way it hurts and is annoying. I went from the occasional neck ache to constant ache and throb. If I get the offer to remove it.. I will party.

MG

Old 01-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #5
(female)

golf ball HB User

thanks everyone for your quick replies.
might post my blood test results under a new heading and see what you think. looks like some people are told thyroid is ok but seems there ismore to it than that?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #6
(female)

golf ball HB User

cheryltwin -
sounds like me, i had the biopsy today. lots of liquid and they said they didn't think pathology would be able to make anything of it. said to come back in 2 months and ultrasound again to see if the 'nodule' floating in the middle of all that liquid is nasty or not.

Closed Thread