It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
(male)

mac1968 HB User
Dry, brittle hair

Does anyone know why an underactive thyroid causes dry, thin, and brittle hair? I had my Thyroid tested a couple of months ago and my TSH was around 5.0. Thinking back, I remember my hair turning dry, thin and brittle in 3rd or 4th grade. I now assume I had an underactive thyroid way back then. I am now 39

Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Dry, brittle hair

It's a mistake to assume that every symptom that can be associated with hypoT is caused by hypoT. If you had no other signs of it then, like smaller than average stature, learning disabilities, lethargy, impaired immunity, constipation, etc... then you probably were not hypothyroid at that time and your dry hair was caused by something else.

HypoT can slow down almost every body system. Not every hypoT person experiences all of the possible symptoms, though. Oil glands can produce sluggishly, hence dry hair and skin. Hair falls out excessively because the hair growth cycle is interrupted, making the older hairs fall out sooner while the new ones are slower to replace them.

Interesting to note... There is credible evidence that having only one gray hair before the age of 30 means that person is predisposed to low thyroid later in life. My best friend found a gray hair among my auburn ones when we were only in 4th grade.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
(female)

missblueeyes HB User

because your body is burning the calories you consume so quickly, your body needs more fuel ( obviously ). If it does not obtain this, it reaches "starvation mode" in which it only gives energy to the places which absoulutly need it, due to the lack of fuel. Obviously, places like hair is not a place which the body considers absoulutly nessesary for survival. Are your fingernails brittle too? This normally accompanies the dry and brittle hair.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missblueeyes
because your body is burning the calories you consume so quickly, your body needs more fuel ( obviously ).
No, you're mistaken. With hypothyroidism, the body is not "burning calories so quickly" at all. The digestion and metabolism is typically sluggish, which is why hypoT so often causes weight gain.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

missblueeyes HB User

oops. sorry then.
hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
i get confused.
disregard my comment

Closed Thread