It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
(male)

mole76 HB User
Abnormal Cardiology Stress Test and Hypothyroid

I went to the Cardiologist last week because of an abnormal EKG. He had me do a stress test and said that was abnormal also, and wants me to go get a Cat Scan of the Coronary Artery. Could being hypo effect my results of the stress test? I am 32, and they want to make sure that I have no blockages due to the abnormal stress test. The blood flow was not the same at resting vs excercise, if anyone knows what I mean. The cardiologist said being hypo would not effect the test, not that I do not trust him, I would just like others opinions or experiences. Thank you.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Abnormal Cardiology Stress Test and Hypothyroid

How is your blood flow affected?

I am Hashi's/secondary hypoT. When my antibodies spiked about six months back my HR and BP went crazy. If I am lying down. Everything is normal. If I sit up, stand, or think about exercising my HR jumps 50 points and BP 30 in each value. So I went through the gauntlet of Cardio tests.. my Cardiologist was certain it was POTS.. an AI disorder that can be triggered by Hashi's.. but after the confirming test failed he was left with my thyroid alone. SO together we fought for my treatment and after three months found a local MD will to treat my thyroid levels optimally. I have only been on meds for working on three weeks, but my first day dropped my active HR 20 points and my BP 10-20.. so my Cardio shook his head and said.. thyroid it is. I wouldn't rule it out.. but there are many more common sources that should be checked out as well.

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
(male)

mole76 HB User

I am not sure exactly what is wrong, he wants me to get further testing to see if there are blockages. According to him the EKG was abnormal at rest and during activity, also I reached peak heartrate too early. He also showed me the isotope flow which is supposed to be the same diameter at rest as after the stress test, and it was not. He said my heart seems to be working overtime while excercising. I have always had a heart murmor, but he said that or thyroid would not cause those results. I am not sure if he is right or not, or if being hypo could effect it. Like your Cardiologist diagnosed yours. What is POTS? Is that from smoking too much pot? J/K I would really like to know. I cannot believe how much they thyroid effects, alot more than I ever knew. Thank you for your response again, I will let you know if I find out anything. Also I have been taking the 50mcg of Levo, without the extreme side effects of the 100mcg. So far so good, but do you feel good somedays and others just weird? I do not understand this stuff, one day your ok...the next not. This sucks. Thanks again!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

POTS? You don't know how it sounded saying I may have POTS.. okay here I go.

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is an autonomic disturbance which has become better understood in recent years. It is now thought to encompass a group of disorders that have similar clinical features, such as orthostatic intolerance, but individual distinguishing parameters—for example, blood pressure and pulse rate affected by postural position.

A summary from my exploration:
POTS has been referred to by various names, including neurocirculatory asthenia, mitral valve prolapse (MVP) syndrome, irritable heart, soldier’s heart, idiopathic orthostatic intolerance, orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, postural tachycardia syndrome, hyperadrenergic orthostatic tachycardia and hyperadrenergic orthostatic hypotension. Clinicians have estimated that this syndrome may affect at least 500,000 to 1 million Americans. There is a decisive 4-6:1 female predilection, with a mean age of 29 years and an age range from 15 to 50 years.

Well that is the basics of POTS to determine its presence.. you so an epinepherine/adrenaline profile during a cardiac tilt test determines the presences or absence of POTS.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 01-23-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
(male)

mole76 HB User

Thanks for the info, I do not think I have that POTS. Hopefully the Cat Scan of the Coronary Arteries will be okay and it is all just a complication from the hypo. I have to go do blood work Feb 11th, then I am leaving for Jamiaca 5 days later. I really hope this Levo stabalizes and I feel alright for my vacation. Think positive right? I feel like I am too young to be falling apart, its one thing after another. How is your treatment coming? I hope you are feeling better. What do you take? Thanks again take care,

Old 01-23-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am still on the 50 mcg.. and waiting impatiently for a jump to 75 mcg. No hyperT symptoms which is good. My heart is still behaving better with the synthroid in my system.. but toward the end of the day when my hypoT symptoms are back in force my heart goes all... Happy once more. Blood pressure is holding out better though. I am hopeful that the T4 will do the trick and I will optimize out with out the need to fight too much hyperT periods.. however I could use a bit of rapid weight loss. I have got about 30 pounds to spare.

I note a bit more energy and the anility to be more alert. So I have hope. If my thyroid nodule proves bad. *snort* Remove the pain and keep up the optimization. As long as I get my happy pills, who needs the thyroid. I hope your cardio and MD get to the bottom of your issue. Keep us posted. Many have Happy heart issues. My Cardio nicknamed my heart Happy because he had no other explaination at the time. It helped when explaining the added meds to my five year old who loves to ask mommy why she is taking this and that. Have fun in Jamaica. I spent a month there in 93. Loved it.. stay in groups and watch out for some of the more aggressive locals wanting to take your money. My 2nd degree black belt came in handy once helping a friend that went off on her own in the market.

MG

Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
(male)

mole76 HB User

Yeah I have been to Negril 4 times, we stay at Couples...a 5 star all-inclusive resort. They have everything there, you really never have to leave the resort if you do not want to. We are only ther for a week, just enough time to unwind and get away from the stupid snow up here in Michigan. I hope nothing is wrong with my heart either, that is the last thing I need! When I was taking the 100mcg I lost like 7 pounds in a week. Since I went on 50 I gained a couple back, but I know I was overmedicated. Better to start off slow than over do it right off the bat. I could use to loose a few myself, but my Cardiologist does not want me to excercise til he gets the Cat Scan results. Can not wait to get this all over and start feeling back to normal. I should not complain, I feel alot better than a month ago. That is for sure, plus it eases your mind to have a reason for feeling weird. I will keep in touch, thanks again!

Closed Thread