It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
(female)

photo35 HB User
Thyroid panel

My last test results were as follows
TSH 2.774 uIU/ml
Thyroxine (T4) 6.0ug/dl
T3 Uptake 33%
Free Thyroxine Index 2.0

I have suffered from chronic fatigue, muscle pains, heavy periods, weight gain, brittle nails, and depression for years.

Can you explain the above results to me

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Thyroid panel

TSH is trending hypothyroid, but I can not comment on the rest with out seeing your ranges as well. Your symptoms match hypoT. Have you checked to see if you have Hashi's as well?

Sincerely,
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
(female)

ysiad HB User

all i can say is that i was borderline HYPO...but many doctors would not treat me because they said i was young and grow out of it. I was 22 at the time! Over the years i went to more doctors but no one wanted to help....until finally my thryoid got bad enough that its now has a tsh of 12!!!! Its difficult to level out now. Looking back even as a teenager i would feel sluggish and off and had symptoms of MONO...but results were not positive. I FIRMLY believe that i had hypo then TOO BUT the doctors just said my results were normal and PARENTS never bothered to question it or see the actual numbers. KEEP SEARCHING...u'll FIND UR ANSWER. cheers.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
(female)

photo35 HB User

My doctor always said my results were normal. And I would be coming back time after time due to the chronic fatigue, and achy muscles... Because of that, Depression. I've used depo proverra for years to stop my periods, because they are so heavy. and of course, let's not forget, the weight gain and being unable to loose it. I was forcing myself to run six miles a day on a treadmill and couldn't loose an ounce and I could gain ten pounds when eatting rabbit food and drinking just water for a month. This has been this way for years and I am feeling progressively worse. I am about to turn 36 and I am wondering when someone will get a clue and realize that there is something wrong and it is not all in my head.

Last edited by photo35; 01-24-2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: misspelled words

Old 01-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Texas has some good thyroid savvy MDs. You can start a new post.. something like IN TEXAS AND NEED A THYROID MD PLEASE HELP! This should get you some responses. I know there are others on here that have found treatment. I am almost certain that with a TSH of 2.77 you are on the beginning end of thyroid issues. The normal range for TSH is 0.3-3.0 since 2002. Most labs have yet to adjust for this update. If your Ft3 and Ft4 levels, or T3 and T4 is you can not get your MD to ask for the more accurate tests, are in the low end of normal versus the 50-80% range then the thyroid is most likely the culprit. My conservative ENDO was willing to treat me with a TSH of 2.5 given my Hashi's. 2.5 -3.0 she considered borderline thyroid failure. In my case my TSH wouldn't go that high so I had to get an MD will to treat my Hashi's and secondary hypoT. You need treatment now you appear to be like most and have to fight for it.

MG

Using the Armour physician finder and the zip code 76301 and a 10 mi search criteria I got these MDs which might be more receptive to your possible condition:
Elvira Tolentino, MD - Family Medicine - Wichita Falls
Michael Ozier, MD - Family Medicine - Wichita Falls
The next is 44 mi away:
Maha Sultan, MD - Family Medicine - Frederick
50-100 mi:
William Prater, MD - Family Medicine - Breckenridge
Charles Wahlert, MD - Internal Medicine - Denton
James Mahoney, MD - Family Medicine - Roanoke

I am being treated by an IM myself. Not all Endos are willing to treat you early on. Most wait until you have complete thyroid failure to treat you. I personally would look into the 2 local MDs that are known to prescribe Armour first.. then if that falls through look father a field.

MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 01-24-2008 at 07:43 AM.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
(female)

photo35 HB User

Thank you so much for the advice. I have been so discouraged in the past because doctors were treating only certain symtoms and not looking at the bigger picture.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ah.. yes dealt with the medical blinders for five years... then figured out by family history and one OB saying have you checked out AI thyroid conditions? I think you might have one. Ping! I started asking my mother and her sisters and every one of them had one.. but didn't discuss it. It was like they were afraid or ashamed of talking about it. Well we talk now.. even if a cattle prod is needed to wake one of us up. Sure enough I was the newest in the next generation of females to have a thyroid disorder. It took forceful discussion and arguing just to get tested for Hashi's.. my TSH was "normal" after all. Then once I had my bone I was determined to bury it. Took me six months to find an MD to help me begin treatment. Now we are watching all of m cousins for the next victim. At least we are slowly learning from our mistakes. Having to fight for care shouldn't happen.. but it does. Stick with it.

MG

Old 01-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
(female)

kfunk HB User

This site is wonderful in helping explain things going on with your body. I suffered a brainstem stroke in May and have been tired ever since. In the beginning it seemed that the tiredness stemmed from the stroke, but since then I have become increasingly tired and mentally confused. My sed rate in October was 80. upon follow up blood work my sed rate went way down, but the doctor noticed my TSH was high 6.61. He put me on thyroid medicine and I feel like I possibly am getting my energy back. Has anyone ever heard of your thyroid possibly causing a stroke? Maybe all these finding were what caused the stroke in the beginning.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hypothyroidism seldom causes symptoms in the early stages, but over time, untreated hypothyroidism can cause a number of health problems, such as obesity, joint pain, infertility and heart disease. Stroke? I do not know, but it may have been a factor. The thyroid regulates the metabolism and normal body function. If your heart and body had a suppressed metabolism and such for years it can cause high blood pressure, poor heart function, increased cholesterol.. the list goes on. Following your thyroid in my opinion is very important in preventative care. BUT the FDA and medical industry does not feel it is cost effective. Thyroid problems are less than 1% of the population. In pregnancy aged females it is even less. And while the effects on a pregnant thyriod dysfunctional patient and her fetus can be severe the percentages of affected versus cost incured for testing all pregnant women is not once again.. COST EFFECTIVE. Okay impromtu vent session over.

MG

Closed Thread