It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

fernee HB Userfernee HB User
Elevated thyroid antibody, what does this mean

i have a 16 year old daughter that is type I diabetic, has rheumatory arthritis and possibly figromylagia. She has been a diabetic since she was 12 and everything else has been diagnosed in the recent years. She has had a goiter since she started seeing her endro. He has ran TSH tests on many occassions and everything has been fine.

Recently she had a TSH, T4 and I guess the antibody test. She came back negative on everything except for the one antibody which normal is up to 34, she is 99. Her nurse is having the dr call me back to tell me what this means. Does it mean the thyroid is also failing now? I know that once you have one auto immune disease you can have more but I am not sure how many she can handle. I also have had thyroid issues but they cleared up. Not sure if that was the problem or lyme since I am being treated for that.

She has complained recently about gaining weight (especially in the butt) even though she has not changed anything. She also is having more blurry vision (she has an eye exam on the 12th of Feb) but she is also a diabetic plus on meds for the arthritis that can cause vision problems.

Any advice?

Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: Elevated thyroid antibody, what does this mean

A positive antibody test indicates one of two auto immune thyroid disorders: Hashimoto's thyroiditis or Graves Disease. I am betting Hashimoto's. i have it and it is the more common of the two. Hashi's can come on as a result of any hormonal change: puberty, pregnancy, meno.. or be triggered by a virus.. or be genetically predisposed. You should get your own antibodies run. The Rheummy issues can be hashi's those antibodies will attack the joints and muscles too. I had visual loss and developed a stigmatism as a result of my Hashi's. Make sure she is going to a neuro-opthomologist. Have them check her for thyroid eye disease symptoms and signs. He/She would know them better than the Endo.

If it is hashi's at her age she needs an MD willing to prophalactically(sp) treat her. Treatment early on with just a small dose of Armour or synthroid has been shown to hold off or halt the onset of Hashi's in children of your daughters age group. I am betting the normal is not actually normal for your daughter. Untreated hypoT in any form: secondary, subclinical, overt can have serious repercussions. Get a copy of her labs and post the results and ranges here. Also get a double check on them with the following more accurate tests: TSH (3rd Gen), free T3, free T4. Make sure the blood work is drawn first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Have they been checking her blood chem levels with vit D, B12, and Ferritin added? Low results in these can amplify any hypoT symptoms. Good luck. I watch my son (5 years old) daily wondering if he will have to go through the same misery as me in the future and what of his children. Well we can only love them and know that they will make it and they will be stronger because of it. As to misery when you are treated, you can live a normal and happy life. Problem is most make you suffer needlessly.

Sincerely,
MG

Last edited by mkgbrook; 01-30-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for the quick reply. I will get the labs and check it out. I am sure her B12 and all has been tested before by her rheumatologist but I will make sure.

Reading some of the symptoms it is hard to tell if the way she has been feeling is from the arthritis or from this. She has been aching a lot and having swelling also in the knees.

I will post everything once I get it.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #4
(female)

susan1952 HB User

I was misdiagnosed with RA for 10 years before a new DR. checked for thyroid antibodies. I was then diagnosed with Hasi's and began treatment, which at this point included surgery because so much damage had been done to my thyroid. Many of the RA symptoms can be caused by Hashi's.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Can it give you elevated sed rates, RA factor, etc?

Closed Thread