It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Question Anyone tried Provigil in addition to levoxyl (or synthroid)?

I had extreme morning fatigue and since my thyroid levels are now within the normal range my doctor recommended Provigil. He gave me a two week supply to try - and I figure I'll give it a shot. I was wondering if anyone else had tried this?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #2
(female)

talbet0729 HB User
Re: Anyone tried Provigil in addition to levoxyl (or synthroid)?

I have taken Provigil a couple of times when I've been really tired. It has worked very well for me. I feel like my old self again when I take it and I can be very productive with it. Actually I feel better than my old self when I take it. It really does give me a good boost.

I had a bad headache the first time I took it, which ibuprofen fixed. I haven't had the headaches the rest of the times I've tried it though, so it may not have been related to the Provigil.

If it is after 10:00 am I only take half a pill because if I don't I find that I have a hard time winding down and going to sleep at night.

I also think that when I take it I experience a little crash in the afternoon when it starts wearing off, but for me it is not that difficult to deal with. I'd rather have a little crash in the afternoon rather than dragging all day long.

My husband also takes it on occasion and he has done very well with it also. Hope this info helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

Really interested in this post as l feel drained all the time since my TT back in July my labs are all fine too what is it please? cheers

Old 02-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
(female)

Brillig HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
I had extreme morning fatigue and since my thyroid levels are now within the normal range my doctor recommended Provigil. He gave me a two week supply to try - and I figure I'll give it a shot. I was wondering if anyone else had tried this?
We seem to be in a country more than happy to add drugs to drugs to drugs. If one of the aspects of thyroid medication is to remove lethargy, it would seem (IMHO) that the fact that that is failing you should be addressed. Maybe you need an increased dosage for the continuing lethargy. Me? I suggest you drink a cup of coffee for now, because Provigil is a VERY serious drug with horrible side-effects. I tried it and hated that I didn't feel like me. It's one thing to have more energy, and quite another to feel completely depersonalized. Do try to check your labs with an endocrinologist, not just a regular doctor, because an endo would hardly go to a psychotropic drug--one specifically targeted for narcoleptics--for this problem.
Good luck.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
(female)

Brillig HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post

I had another thought, BUT DO CHECK WITH YOUR DOC! Provigil is a strong drug; as far as I'm concerned, it's also a drug with the capacity for de-presonalization, which I HATE. Even before the Thyroid meds, I woke up loagey, apathetic, anxious, but down, loagy. My doc put me on 37.5 mgs of Tenuate (now only sold as diethylpropion); it was first sold as a diet drug, but it failed. It's too weak, but it is a great little boos to morning lethargy, probably less strong than coffee, for all I know, and without any of the anxiety, and it's compounds, it's chemistry is FAR, FAR less complex that Provigil.
Brillig

Old 02-07-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User

I Looked it up and dont like the look of it. Good luck

Closed Thread