It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
(female)

Brillig HB User
Exclamation My labs, in context of the lab, at last. Please help!

This is to help you to help me understand the severity or lack of severity of my situation:
(I gave my readings awhile ago, but I didn't have the lab context, then)

Okay:
FSH 64 (23.0-116.3) (Follicle Stimulating Hormone--what's that for, hair growth? No, it's about male reproduction, oh, well. She put me on Testesterone, also. For a woman, I think 64 looks pretty good. No?)

TSH 1.29 (.350-5.500) Thyroid Stimulating hormone

Triiodothyronine, Free, Serum (what's that?)
Okay, looked it up: it's T3, Free 2.9 (2.3-4.2)

T4 Free (Direct) 1.22 (0.6-1.7)

Now, as I write this, I don't get it at all. It looks as if I'm in normal ranges, hmmmmmm. Would you call these low normals, and do you think low normals should be treated with medication?

And they want to send me for an ultrasound and a pituitary MRI based on these readings???? I was also given a gram/day of Iodine today. Hmmmmm.

Help, please....

Last edited by Brillig; 02-07-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: remove a parenthesis

Old 02-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
(female)

danish026 HB User
Re: My labs, in context of the lab, at last. Please help!

FSH in women stimulates your follicles to grow. In normal ovulation, several follicles develop and one reaches the point of maturation and releases the egg.

Sorry can't help with any of the numbers. Wondering the same for myself.

Just wanted to clarify the FSH.

Hope you get the answers you need. Dana

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

Brillig HB User
Re: My labs, in context of the lab, at last. Please help!

[QUOTE=danish026;3431695]FSH in women stimulates your follicles to grow.
Just wanted to clarify the FSH.

Thanks for trying, but actually FSH or Follicle-stimulating hormone is a hormone synthesized and secreted by gonadotropes in the anterior pituitary gland. FSH and LH act synergistically in reproduction:
In women, in the ovary FSH stimulates the growth of immature Graafian follicles to maturation. As the follicle grows, it releases inhibin, which shuts off the FSH production.
In men, FSH enhances the production of androgen-binding protein by the Sertoli cells of the testes, and is critical for spermatogenesis.
In either sex, FSH, is related to testerone.

Thanks, though.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
(female)

Brillig HB User
Uh, Midwest, help please....

You just told someone her T3 and T4 have to be much higher.
Please tell me:
(these are mine before meds)

T4, Free (Direct) 1.22 (lab: 0.6-1.7)
Triliodothyronine, Free, Serum (T3) 2.9 (lab: 2.3-4.2)
TSH 1.279 (lab: 0.350-5.500)

Last edited by Brillig; 02-08-2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: more specific

Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Re: Uh, Midwest, help please....

I see you edited your post and changed your range values after my above reply. I was rereading my reply this morning and thought "I had made a mistake by misreading your labs". I voided the above reply so as not to mislead someone else.

Last edited by SHMILY; 02-08-2008 at 09:07 AM.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:33 AM   #6
(male)

Tranquillity HB User

Hmm, you mixed the ranges up, right?
The T4 range looks like a T3 range and vice versa.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
(female)

Brillig HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquillity View Post
Hmm, you mixed the ranges up, right?
The T4 range looks like a T3 range and vice versa.
No, didn't mix 'em. And now I'm way confused, because if the lab says I'm in their normal, even if high or low normal, how can they be so screwed up? Hmmmmm. (Could it be, because they measure the T3 in serum as triliodothyronine, Free, Serum, and they measure T4, Direct?)

Old 02-08-2008, 06:48 AM   #8
(female)

Brillig HB User

Shmily, how can they be so very low and so high, if they're in the lab's normal range?
These are my first tests, the one's which led the doc to putting me on meds.
My TSH is 1.270 (0.350-5.500).
I've been on Nature-Throid for three months. I just went to get a new blood test. Thanks for your input. I hope you follow up, because I don't understand this VERY low and too high, and I'm curious to hear why you wanted the TSH and what you think.
Thanks.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:55 AM   #9
(female)

Brillig HB User
Question Calcium and Nature-throid

How come everywhere I read it says not to take calcium with thyroid meds, then my doc says it's okay, if it's four hours or so apart from when you take the meds, then I look at the label of Nature-throid and it CONTAINS 16 MG of CALCIUM?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #10
(female)

Brillig HB User
Please Help!!!!!!

When I first came to this site, everyone wanted to know my labs. Now I have them. Please tell me what they mean..... Why is there a prob, if they're in the lab's normal range?

TSH 1.279 (.350-5.500)
T4 Free (Direct) 1.22 (0.6-1.7)
Triliodothyronine, Free, Serum (T3) 2.9 (2.3-4.2)

Old 02-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

What Shmily is trying to say is that your labs don't make sense. If your Ft4 lab range is between 2 and 4, and yours is below, yours is below normal, if your ft3 is almost 3, and the normal lab range is .06 to 1.7, 3 is hirgher than that so that is above the normal range and too high.

You either copied your numbers/ranges incorrectly, or you would possibly be hyper because the free t3 circulating in your blood is higher than the normal range, which doesn't correlate to your TSH (which would be suppressed and almost non existent) or your T4, which would be much higher with such a high free T3....get it? So something is wrong with what you posted, or you are overmedicated.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:21 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

mauz HB Usermauz HB Usermauz HB User

you must have mixed up your ranges

FT3 2.3-4.2
FT4 0.6-1.7

check again.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #13
(female)

Brillig HB User

Thanks, Reece.
I just checked what I posted against my labs.
I added the TSH, but my results are the same. I took out the results of the other woman; maybe that was confusing.... So now what do you think, please?

Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 AM   #14
(female)

Brillig HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauz View Post
you must have mixed up your ranges

FT3 2.3-4.2
FT4 0.6-1.7

check again.
Mauz, thanks, but that's what it says; I'm looking straight at it.

T3 2.3-4.2
T4 0.6-1.7 That's what it says.
And I'm 1.22 T4 and 2.9 T3. Uh, oh, now I'm worried.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:41 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

You have to take a few deep breaths and settle yourself down. You have us as confused as yourself, and that doesn't help anyone. I know for fact that you had those ranges mixed up in your original post, which you edited to make them the same as those in your 9:26 today post. That confuses everyone and makes anyone less likely to respond with help.

That settled... You are mildly hypothyroid. Not in bad shape at all. Stop panicking.

When we say levels are "low" or "high", it means in the context of the range. Levels that are "abnormal" for any individual are hardly ever out of range. Thus, they're almost always (so-called) "normal". But a low-normal FT level that's below 50% of its range can cause symptoms. Levels at the bottom of their ranges are hardly ever adequate and need treatment... such as your FT3 of 2.9 in a range that starts at 2.3. This level needs to be at least 50% of its range, or 3.25. Many people need it higher; needs are individual. 50% of that FT4 range is 1.15. You are roughly there now. That may be enough for you, but there's no way for any of us to say if it is or not.

One thing is sure, your FT3 is lower than the average healthy person's. Your FT4 may or may not be adequate for your needs. Only trial and error in dosing will determine what levels will erase your thyroid-related symptoms.

Closed Thread