It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
can anyone tell me what these lab test means ??? are they normal or not ??

can anyone here tell me what these test are for and by reading my levels and ranges are mine normal or what if the t3 free is 1.5 and mines 1.3 why would the dr put me on cytomel 25mcgs ?
heres my levels and ranges
tsh its 3.22 range 0.49-4.67
total t3 1.3 range 1.5-2.6
ft4 0.9 range 0.7-1.9
t3 free in jan was 299 range 230-420
in jan it was 4 something and in nov it was 3 i think then oct it was great it was 2.6 and t4 was 8.2 and i felt great then now my tsh is normal according to the ranges but it keeps going up and down and i dont know why.
does anyone out there have any advice to give me and what all those test are for and why we need them like the t3 free what does that do and t3 and 4 and the free t 3and 4 and all the other stuff i have been dealing with this since jan 07 only i had it long before but didnt know it .
vickie

Old 02-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User
Re: can anyone tell me what these lab test means ??? are they normal or not ??

heres my levels and ranges
tsh its 3.22 range 0.49-4.67 - This points to still being hypoT.
total t3 1.3 range 1.5-2.6 - There is a 20% error inherent in this test, but low means you either do not have enough T4 to make necessary T3 or your are converting T4 to the inactive T3 component R(reverse)T3. Being below range requires supplementation in T3.
ft4 0.9 range 0.7-1.9 - You are low here. You are at 16.7 % This means you need supplementation of your T4 as well.
t3 free in jan was 299 range 230-420 - This looks better than the total T3 result, but it is still below optimal range which is 50-80%. You are at 36.3%.

I am entering teacher mode so ignore me if I give you WTMI!

Fundamentals:
The thyroid gland is one of several glands that make up the endocrine system. The glands of the endocrine system produce hormones that regulate the body's growth, metabolism, and sexual development and function.

Specifically, the thyroid gland is a small, butterfly-shaped gland found just below the Adam's apple at the base of the neck, and in front of the trachea. The hormones produced by the thyroid gland are called T4 (thyroxine) and T3 (triiodothyronine) hormones. What do they do? Well they "control the rate at which every part of your body works (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 1999)" (i.e. your metabolism), as well as your body temperature, muscle tone and vigor, and growth hormone secretions -- essentially influencing every organ, tissue, and cell in the body. Your thyroid is your body;s overseerer.. when it no longer functions thing get out of line quickly. Free T3 and T4 measure the active levels of T3 and T4 in your blood stream. These tests are not subject to pregnancy hormones, BCs, meno treatments, diet, medications, or supplements. There is only a 2.5-5% error in this test. Total T3 and T4 measure actual T3 and T4 levels indirectly. They have a larger source of error and are subject to hormonal supplements, medications, diet.. etc.

The thyroid gland is controlled by a gland in the brain known as the pituitary. The pituitary gland makes thyroid-stimulating hormone (THS). THS stimulates the thyroid gland to make more hormone if needed (American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 1999). If you have a problem with the pituitary gland or are producing specific hormones that interfere with the Pituitary glands receptors you can be secondary hypothyroid. This is where the TSH stays low when it should rise to reflect need for more thyroid hormone.

You don't seem to have a pituitary issue. Your issue is you are undermedicated and need to get optimized. What is optimized? It is when your FT3 and Ft4 levels are in the 50-80% range of normal and you no longer have symptoms. Given that you are on a T3 supplement your TSH is adversely suppressed and not a valid indicator of thyroid function. In your case even with the TSH suppression your body is screaming for more hormones.

Hope this helps.
MG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread