It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #1
(female)

xkygurlx HB User
Question Hyperthyroidism: what happens if left untreated??

I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism about a year ago, also my thyroid is over 2x the size it's supposed to be. I know I continue to feel awful, but I don't have insurance so I haven't been back to the doctor in about 10 monthes. I just wanted to know if there are any consequences from leaving hyperthyroidism untreated, and if so what are they?? I'll greatly appreciate any information you have

Old 03-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Re: Hyperthyroidism: what happens if left untreated??

The two things that come to my mind are you could develop osteoporosis pretty quickly, as in you don't have to be in menopause. The second thing is it can affect your heart by over working it. Is there any clinic in your community that sees people on a sliding scale? The least you need to do is get on medication to calm your thyroid down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
(female)

xkygurlx HB User

I'm checking around to see if there is some way to get back to the Dr I appreciate your response, was begining to think no one was going to answer...lol. I've read all the info on hyperthyroidism I can find and nothing talks about leaving it untreated, my period has been kind of screwy here lately ... as in I mean I haven't really had one in over a month and a half, I wondered if it could be something to do with my thyroid disorder. I'll figure out something and get back to the doctor.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:58 AM   #4
(female)

Myth HB User

there are some natural supplements that are considered to be helpful for hyperthyroidism
the herbs lemon balm,motherwort, & bugleweed reduce thyroid hormone levels , also foods such as broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage,peaches & pears help suppress thyroid hormone , the amino acid L-carnitine has helped some too
but you still need a doctor to monitor your thyroid levels

Myth

Old 03-08-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

Hi xkygurlx,

I'm what was an untreated hyper. I started treatment 2 weeks ago.

Almost every community has a sliding scale clinic. Don't let financial concerns get in the way of receiving treatment. Medications to treat hyper are quite cheap and can sometimes even be obtained thru the clinic.

Osteoporosis is on the list. I have osteoporosis. Premenopausal. Heart disease is on the list. That I do not have but only because I have been taking beta blockers for my heart for the last 15 years or so. Diabetes is on the list. I have diabetes directly related to my thyrotoxicosis. Kidney problems are on the list. I have renal tubular acidosis which can be caused by an overactive thyroid. That in turn can lead to CKD. We're trying to prevent any further damage to the kidneys right now. It can also kill you. Untreated hyper can, in some instances, lead to what's known as thyroid storm. Believe me, that is no fun. It's survivable but you only have a 50-50 chance and that's after you've racked up one hellacious hospital bill.

How about on monday, you pick up the phone and call your local health department and ask for the name/s of a sliding scale clinic in your area. Don't let it go untreated. Please???

Old 03-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #6
(female)

xkygurlx HB User

I've wondered about the diabetes ... I have been getting really weak and shakey feeling and I can drink a soda or eat an apple and feel better. I was actually hospitalized last year for an allergic reaction to a sleep med the Dr prescribed and I was in a coma for 5 days, when I woke up I had a femoral catheter and was on dialysis. They said all of my organs except for my heart had shut down. Dr said if I didn't have such a strong heart I'd probably have died. I remained in the hospital about a month, I had to practically learn to walk again and stayed on dialysis the time I was hospitalized, they removed the cath and I'm no longer on dialysis and evrything went back to normal except for this thyroid crap. I've got about $75,000 worth of hospital bills accumulated right now ... whats a few more? lol I will get in touch with my Dr on Monday.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

accessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB Useraccessn12 HB User

That could be the thyroid messing with the sugar metabolism. Back in '91, the first time I hit the er with the thyroid acting up, I coulda sworn it may have been hypoglycemia. I felt so weak and shaky. Even passed out. I told em it felt like low sugar. When they tested, it was 185. Not exactly low. They ascribed it to nerves and sent me home. Got a milkshake on the way home. Made me feel better. Ever since, when I felt like that, I ate something packed with carbs and protein and felt better. Problem with the hyper is your sugar stays higher than normal cause your body actually needs it for fuel. When the sugar goes down, you feel hypoglycemic at a much higher level than normal people. Let it do that long enough and your body no longer metabolizes sugar proper. It will eventually turn you into a true diabetic.

I wonder if your allergic reaction may not have been coupled with thyroid storm??? I started to shut down too. 9 days in hospital and a month of home nursing care. I had insurance. Shoot girl, with that high a bill already, who gives a darn? Besides, you're worth it.

Hey, it's monday. Did you call?

Closed Thread