It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #31
(female)

joanne44 HB User
Re: Parathyroid /High Calcium levels- anyone suffering with this

Hi, I am new to this thread and have had many of the same frustrations that many of you folks have had in diagnosing and getting treatment for hyperparathyroidism. Even with high CA and very high PTH (143), my primary care physician is not referring me to an endocrinologist. He wants to treat the disease with Vitamin D and Fosamax. This seems to me to be treating the symptoms. So I have sent my medical records to Dr. Norman's Clinic. Has anyone had their surgery there? How did it go? Do you feel "cured?" I don't have insurance, so have to pay out of pocket....one physician said, "Well, the worst case scenario is that nothing will happen." Wow. Has anyone had the surgery without any positive effects?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:31 PM   #32
(female)

joanne44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamlr View Post
I had my parathyroid removed by Jim Norman on 2/4/08, he also removed a large thyroid nodule and my left lobe of my thyroid. They are remarkable in the way they work everything out in Tampa. You will be so pleased. My scar is 1 inch and actually you can no longer see it. I had the usual discomfort and that was minimal. You are going to be so happy you chose them. Anyways best of luck! The best part for me after 7 years or more of suffering with bone pain, I am pain FREE! Pamlr

PS I would choose not to stay in Ybor city if it were me again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #33
(female)

joanne44 HB User

Pamir,

Are you still feeling good, several months after your surgery? What is Ibor City? Did you not stay in Tampa?

Old 05-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #34
(female)

lenormandista HB User

Ybor City is a funky rundown section of Tampa - it used to be the cigar-making capital of the country.

It reminds me a little bit of parts of old New Orleans, except it's more Spanish than French. I like Ybor City, but I can see why some people might not.

Jim Norman is a good surgeon, but he's not terribly communicative, and from what I've heard, he tends to be quite abrasive if you have aftercare problems. I don't know, cos I haven't talked to him since my surgery. It's been about two and a half months, and I'm better than I was, but far from fully recovered. But since I didn't need him to be my best friend, it's okay.

The staff at TGH is first-rate, and while I wouldn't call the surgery pleasant, it's not bad. You probably won't want to go out to eat the same night, and you might have a headache and a stiff neck and shoulders for a while afterwards, but no big. I had a fairly hideous reaction to the anaesthetic, but I always do.

I do think it's important to find someone who's good. I don't think Dr Norman is the only good surgeon in America, but he is very good. Maybe you can find somebody closer to home, though.

I went to Florida because they don't do parathyroid surgery in my country, so it was a bit difficult to find *anyone*. On his surgical skills, I'd definitely recommend Dr Norman, but you want a cluey GP back home should anything go pear-shaped afterwards. It's really unlikely it will, but just in case.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #35
(female)

lenormandista HB User

Fosamax might lower your calcium a little, but it won't help your bones if you're hyperpara.

And Vit D supplementation will drive your calcium through the roof. Were I you, I think I'd say no to both and get the tumour out. It's really the only effective treatment at this stage.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:07 PM   #36
(female)

Joan1940 HB User

had my surgery 5+ weeks ago in tampa. hopefully will get follow up blood test results next week. I found dr. Norman fine before surgery and a bit abrasive when I called him afterwards. However, I did question him about something he did and that may have set him off. I think if I had called with a problem he would have been more helpful. I called Dr. polivy several times during the week following surgery with problems and he was exceedlingly helpful and nice. I would still have them do my surgery if I had to decide again.

most of my symptons were silent- osteo etc. so hard to tell. I do find I have more energy than before. Nausea better or gone most days. didn't have bone pain - do and did have lower back and hip pain but more related to feet issues than hyperparathyroidism.

good luck

Old 05-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #37
(female)

catndoglvr HB User

Joan,

I am hoping to have surgery with Dr. Norman. Would you mind saying what it is you spoke with him about?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #38
(female)

Joan1940 HB User

It appears that they biopsied the remaining 3 para glands. ( Dr. Norman mentioned this as he was leaving my recovery area. He said we biopsied all the remaing glands and you are cured) even though the scan showed where it was - the lower left. which they removed. obviously they were easy to find in my case as the surgery only took 18 minutes. but from what i had read on his website I thought it was NOT necessary to biopsy the other glands once you had a definitive sestembi scan. and that the advantage of his method was that you didn't have to hunt around for the other paras and biopsy them.

this call was promoted by the fact that after several days I had symptoms of low calcium - tingling. and I panicked and thought maybe they had really screwed things up by poking with all the glands. Of course it turned out that some extra calcium took care of the tingling and now I either take one or none ( shoujld take more ) and have no problems. But when I called to ask and mentioned that the website implied that biopsing all the glands was not usually necessary. he went into this long tirade about a lot of things he does are not on the website. etc. etc. and that I was cured.

I am sure they had a reason for doing it, but I would have liked to have know what it was.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #39
(female)

Joan1940 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndoglvr View Post
Joan,

I am hoping to have surgery with Dr. Norman. Would you mind saying what it is you spoke with him about?
see previous e-mail. forgot to add that I would still go back to them for surgery. Just call Dr. polivy with questions or even norman maybe if not questioning the procedure.

if you haven't had your conference call yet you could also ask about this if you are curious.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:27 AM   #40
(female)

pemmy HB User

joanne44-Frustrating is right. I have to be my blood levels retested in July. They are in normal level but were high in January. May I ask where in Iowa are you from. I used to live across the river from Sioux City in NE. Now live in TN. Pam

mmee-how are you doing? With the toprol? Pam

Old 05-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #41
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

Hi, Pemmy,
I am waiting to see the endo on June 10th, I am hoping so much that this can be a productive visit and we can get to the bottom of this.
The toprol is working some and then other days not so much. Are you still taking the 1/2 a pill or did you go the 1/4. How is your blood pressure?

Today I went to my clincal massage therapist, like my doctor told me to do for the myofascial pain. This was a new one, I had never been to her before. She did reflexology on me and pushed on the parathyroid point and it hurt so bad on the right, not so much on the left. She pushed on all of the points and the ones that hurt were parathyroid, kidneys (both sides), spine, and both hips.
She tried to massage out my muscles and literally could not, she said that she had never seen this before, not one muscle on my body would stretch or move.
Now, I am sick, like I am always am after massage, and she said that that was not normal to be ill, like I am.

Also- yesterday I just noticed that I have a large bump on the top of my wrist, and she looked at that today too and said that it felt like a calcium deposit to her.

My wrists are now hurting and they never did in the past. My ankle bones are even hurting now.

Has anyone ever had the calcium deposit lump before?

Thanks,
mmee

Old 05-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #42
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

One other spot she found through reflexology that I forgot to say the last post was the stomach. I am on protonix for acid relux, but it does not seem to be helping much at times now. My upper abdomin is swelled now. Did anyone ever have that too with hyperparathyroid? I have had an ultrasound and ct scan of the abdomin and they have found nothing, but it is swelled.

thanks,
mmee

Old 05-24-2008, 08:12 AM   #43
(female)

pemmy HB User

mmee, I am taking 1/4 dose now. Seems to be doing okay as far as my home bp monitor goes. It is heck cutting these small pills. Even with a pill splitter, it would not cut it in half accurate. For 1/4, I have to use a razor blade so not accurate. These are small round tablets.

Does your health insurance cover the massage therapist? I have been looking into that or accupuncture just for aches and pains. I get inflammation between ribs on left side and that's been bothering me for months. I always keep saying I need to find a chiropractor here. I got a flyer in the mail from this one local chiropractor who does active release. Some type of soft tissue movement based massage. First visit is free or consultation is. I might check that out. I have a lump on the fleshy palm of my hand down from the little finger. It think it's a lipoma.

Hope you are feeling better today!
Pam

Old 05-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #44
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

pemmy,
I am glad that you are doing good on 1/4 of a pill. I am still taking the 25mg a day, but I split the pill in half and take 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. It has seemed to work a little better that way.
My insurance does not cover the massage therapist, even though she is clinical. But really it is not helping anymore anyway, so I think that I probably will not be going back. I do go to the chiropractor, it used to help, now it is not helping anymore either.
Does your side swell at all where you have the inflammation on your ribs? I have pain in the rib area too on both sides. But it only seems to be swelling in the center and then spreads out a little bit.
Do your hands and feet get cold too? I have been diagnosed with Raynaud's also, but I am wondering if my cold hands and feet at times has something to do with this calcium.
I hope you are feeling good today too.
mmee

Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #45
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

Hi Mmee, (Hi Pam and everyone else too!) I go to a massage therapist as well. I think we discussed that before. My muscles seem to be getting tighter and it doesn't matter how much stretching and exercise I do. It does feel good to get the muscles massaged though so I am continuing to go.

Mmee, I can't remember...have you had your thyroid checked? I also have cold hands and feet but it is thyroid related.

I just wanted to check in but I will check back and answer the rest of the questions later. Have a great long weekend everyone!! Hoppy

Last edited by hopalong_too; 05-24-2008 at 09:22 AM.

Closed Thread