It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #76
(female)

Joan1940 HB User
Re: Parathyroid /High Calcium levels- anyone suffering with this

even if you convince your local dr's that you need surgery - wouldn't you then be operated on by someone who has very little experience in this type of surgery. go to fl. if you have a date already. They are very good. even if dr. norman a bit cranky sometimes it is the place to go. I had mine done there in april. only follow up really necessary is some blood tests.

I am currently seeing a new endo to work on dealing with my osteoporosis issues. but could have worked with my primary care on this as well.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 PM   #77
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

joan1940,
Did you have alot of symptoms before surgery?
I hope that you are feeling better now.
thanks for your help,
mmee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #78
(female)

Joan1940 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmee View Post
joan1940,
Did you have alot of symptoms before surgery?
I hope that you are feeling better now.
thanks for your help,
mmee
not that many symptoms before. had it for at least 8-10 years. was easily diagnosed and then nothing done, just followed.

osteopenia getting worse as time went on. nausea - but blamed it on other things. very tired at times. some palpitations, a bit foggy sometimes. in most cases didn't realize till recently that many of the symptoms were do to para problems. except for the osteo.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #79
(male)

PTH576 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne44 View Post
Hello PTH, so glad that you have had good results! My surgery is scheduled there July 17 and have been considering NOT going because of the lack of aftercare, but mostly because it sounded, from others, that Dr. Norman can be quite arrogant. I specifically asked him on the phone about aftercare, and his reply was "Not an issue." Period. It would help me to know in what ways you are feeling better. I seem to have ALL the symptoms and really would love to get my life back. The fatigue is affecting every part of my life: relationships, finances, mental state, etc. What are the most noticeable effects you have noticed? `joanna
Hey Joanne!

I didn't see arrogant, but even if I would have I would not have cared.. ..

My concern was getting better, if my getting better is an ego boost for a doctor I can live with that!

I see better, I hear better, I feel better, I have tons more energy, I yell a lot less! My bones and joints do not hurt any more. Even the extreme heat outside does not feel nearly as oppressive as it used to.

I have not needed any aftercare, and I do not anticipate needing any prior to my 5 week appointment with my PCP.

I would leave it to the journals to educate your doctors, IMO you should be greedy about your health and consider it your primary responsibility to recover!

Old 06-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #80
Veteran
(female)

mmee HB User

I wanted to let you all know that I had an ultrasound of my neck done, and it came back as I have an enlarged gland on the thyroid. I asked if it could be parathyroid, he said probably not because they generally weigh 2 grams and apparently this must have seemed bigger than that. He is waiting for the blood work to come back and then we will go from there. All of my thyroid bloodwork has come back fine for the past 16 months, tsh, free t3, free t4, total t3, total t4, and antibodies. My calcium is intermittently high with a normal pth.
Has anyone else ever had an ultrasound that came back with an enlarged gland but they were uncertain whether it was parathyroid?
Thanks for any help,
mmee

Old 06-22-2008, 05:59 AM   #81
(female)

mistygreen HB User

Hi,mme I am glad you are looking into everything for an accurate diagnosis.. But have they Ruled Out anything, or could you have two simultaneous problems? Please re- read Dr Norman's site, and perhaps ask him based on your labs what he thinks. It seems to me that there must be definitive ranges of labs for your ph, calcium,etc, for a hyperparathyroid diagnosis. He said that the diagnosis is made on labs, not anythinig else..........so if you don't have parathyroid problems (wich would be great!) then you can at least rule that out. and deal with your thyroid. You need an MD to diagnose you properly....How long has all this been going on for you? Best of luck with everything. Misty

Last edited by mistygreen; 06-22-2008 at 06:07 AM. Reason: typo's

Old 06-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #82
(male)

PTH576 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmee View Post
I wanted to let you all know that I had an ultrasound of my neck done, and it came back as I have an enlarged gland on the thyroid. I asked if it could be parathyroid, he said probably not because they generally weigh 2 grams and apparently this must have seemed bigger than that. Has anyone else ever had an ultrasound that came back with an enlarged gland but they were uncertain whether it was parathyroid?
Thanks for any help,
mmee

Not exactly what you were asking but judging from the "actual size" photo I received from the clinic, my parathyroid that was removed was about the size of the last joint of my thumb... I would have to guess that this parathyroid gland was way bigger than 2 grams....

My PTH was very high (230 & 576) both times it was measured, but my calcium ranged from very normal to very high (9.5 to 13.7) in the 4 or so times it was checked. I did not have a PTH test done when my calcium was normal so I can not make a correlation between the two.

I would have to say that a "mass" larger than 2 grams is not enough reason alone to dismiss parathyroid disease as a possible cause.

Closed Thread