It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
(female)

jonilynn HB User
thyroid removal and severe chronic depression

My mother is 70 yrs old she has suffered from depression and mania most of her life. Two years ago she had thyroid problem. her doctor decided to remove her thyroid. My mother became severly depressed after this and could not take lithium, which helped her in the past. Her doctor gave her another dose of the pill that removes the thyroid and she is now so depressed she is suicidal. The doctors have pretty much given up on her because none of the meds work. She is afraid of being institutionalized permanently. I understand the severe pain and fear my mother is in because I suffer from depression. Does any one know about thyroid disease related to depression? Any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
(female)

jonilynn HB User
Re: thyroid removal and severe chronic depression

Felt good to talk about this. I feel so isolated and frustrated. joni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Hmm. Maybe you could search the Thyroid disorders board here for a similar story.

I'm sorry your mother is going through all of this, and it's certainly good that you are on her side.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Joni--if your mother lives in Austin where you are at, I've heard of a pretty good thyroid doctor there, a Dr. Manzanero.

It sounds like your mother's doctors have not gotten here thyroid replacement meds up to a suitable level for her to feel somewhat well. What kind of thyroid tests have they done lately, and if you have the numbers(and their ranges), could you post her latest results? Depression is common with an undertreated thyroid disorder, and without a thyroid at all, she definitely depends solely on thyroid meds to get her to feeling normal.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

Are they checking all her levels? autoimmune, t3's etc? depression is part of this, I have it too. Hope you have a good doctor? I just left mine to go to a better one? will be getting scans and t3's checked. Make sure all the tests are getting done. A lot of meds can have an adverse effect, especially when withdrawn, like lithium, benzo's etc cause horrendous withdrawals!!!! I know, went thru benzo w/d took over a yr to subside. Be so careful getting off meds and adding.
Hysterectomy

Old 03-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
(female)

Curious2013 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonilynn View Post
My mother is 70 yrs old she has suffered from depression and mania most of her life. Two years ago she had thyroid problem. her doctor decided to remove her thyroid. My mother became severly depressed after this and could not take lithium, which helped her in the past. Her doctor gave her another dose of the pill that removes the thyroid and she is now so depressed she is suicidal. The doctors have pretty much given up on her because none of the meds work. She is afraid of being institutionalized permanently. I understand the severe pain and fear my mother is in because I suffer from depression. Does any one know about thyroid disease related to depression? Any advice?
Lithium is very "hard" on the thyroid. It is NOT unusual to have thyroid problems if you have been taking Lithium. Why did her doctor remove her thyroid? What do you mean the doctor gave her "another dose of the pill to remove her thyroid." Is this a daily medication or radiation treatment to destroy her thyroid? Did she have cancer?

It would be very usual to be hyperthyroid and on Lithium. Lithium usually causes hypothyroid problems.

If your mom isn't on her Lithium and isn't getting enough thyroid I'm not at all surprised she is suicidal. She definitely needs a better doctor now.

Last edited by Curious2013; 03-24-2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Clicked wrong button too soon!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Jonilynn... I'm sorry for your mother's troubles, and yours, too.

Every cell in the body has thyroid receptors, so any of the body's systems can go haywire when there isn't enough thyroid hormone to be absorbed into those cells... including the brain. It truly sounds as if she isn't getting enough in the way of thyroid hormone. Doctors don't always replace those missing hormones in the right way, and they frequently underdose in the elderly.

Get a copy of The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Ridha Arem. It outlines how psychiatric illness can improve when T3 - the second most plentiful thyroid hormone - is administered. Most doctors only replace T4 - the most plentiful hormone - for their hypothyroid patients. If your mother being given only T4, without T3, question her psychiatrist about the benefit of replacing both.

If you can provide us any details at all about what medicine she's taking for thyroid replacement, or what her current lab levels are, we can better suggest things that may help. You may have to become thoroughly educated yourself about thyroid replacement so that you can demand more of her MDs than they're giving her right now.

Best wishes to you both.

Closed Thread