It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #1
(female)

Lauren123 HB User
Question on Levothyroxine Generic?? or Synthroid Brand Name

My doctor perscribed Synthroid to me and Walgreens filled it with the generic called levothyroxine. I've been doing some research and it sounds like I probably shouldn't have had them fill it with the generic because the generics aren't always consistent with the correct levels??
Is anyone else in this same situation, or currently taking the generic?
Please share details if you can. I'm new to all of this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
(female)

pinkprincess3 HB User
Re: Question on Levothyroxine Generic?? or Synthroid Brand Name

Hello...I am hypothyroid and taking Levoxyl and doing good on it.I have taken Synthroid and also done good on it.Once my prescription was given to me for levothyroxine and I did not take it as I did not know if its the same as Levoxyl and Synthroid.Wishing you all the best and hope you are feeling better soon....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

I currently take synthroid. I was give levothyroxine once by Walgreens and tried it. It didn't work for me at all and I make sure I specify synthroid. I think we all react differently to the different meds and you just have to try it to see if it works for you. You may have no problem with it at all and it IS cheaper! Regards - jrose

Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User

I have taken both Levothyroxine & brand Levoxyl. I really prefer the brand Levoxyl. Personally I won't take the generic again. But that is me & you may not have any probs with it,,,

Old 03-29-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
(female)

Raynie HB User

Can you take it back? With this as well as when i took birth control pills I always made sure they knew i didn't want the generic to be filled in place of the brand that was on the prescription.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
(female)

gumper1 HB User

Hi
Answer to your question on taking your meds back. They won't once you take them out of the store they are yours. I know that it is how they are at my drug store. My question is what is the diffrence to Synthroid, Levo, and loevothyroxine? Probly not spelled right. I have always been on the generic levo and my doc put me on Synthroid,wonder if that is why i have weird stuff going on with my heart like feeling it beat. Hmmm.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:13 PM   #7
(female)

Lauren123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumper1 View Post
Hi
Answer to your question on taking your meds back. They won't once you take them out of the store they are yours. I know that it is how they are at my drug store. My question is what is the diffrence to Synthroid, Levo, and loevothyroxine? Probly not spelled right. I have always been on the generic levo and my doc put me on Synthroid,wonder if that is why i have weird stuff going on with my heart like feeling it beat. Hmmm.
If you do an internet search on Levothyroxine, you'll get some articles that come up saying that the generics are not always the same formula-- like it would be with Synthroid brand name. I've decided to try the Levothyroxine for 30 days and then see my doctor for another blood test to see if it's working at all. Do you think they will be able to tell after 30 days?

Last edited by Lauren123; 03-29-2008 at 12:14 PM.

Old 03-29-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

Yes you can take it back. I took the Levothyroxine back, told them it wasn't working and requested it be replaced with synthroid and they promptly complied - Walgreens I believe jrose

Old 03-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

For all of you who tried Levothryoxine, did you ever get a burning feeling in your chest/throat with it? I'm wondering if its the med? It feels like when you get iodine contrast for x-rays, that hot burning feeling. My new endo sd even Levothryoxine can vary with manufactures as stores will buy up the cheapest one when they can. Is there any harm switching brands after one has been on it for a couple months? will ask endo next week. cj
Hysterectomy

Old 03-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
(female)

Lauren123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindspirit View Post
For all of you who tried Levothryoxine, did you ever get a burning feeling in your chest/throat with it? I'm wondering if its the med? It feels like when you get iodine contrast for x-rays, that hot burning feeling. My new endo sd even Levothryoxine can vary with manufactures as stores will buy up the cheapest one when they can. Is there any harm switching brands after one has been on it for a couple months? will ask endo next week. cj
When did you decide to see an Endo versus the Doctor who diagnosed you? Just curious.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User

It's been a total "run around" with doctors. I asked for blood work from my "shrink" after feeling horrid and refusing anti d's. My primary never checked my levels! But, had to go back to her, primary, for treatment. Well, she sent me to a rheumy, who was worthless. But, rheumy did anti bidodies and that got the high levels and was sent back to primary. Primary sent me to endo that day. That endo refused a scan and refused t3 testing. He upped my med to 88 and sd see you in 6 wks. I wasn't happy with this so found a new endo, highly rated, and got the scan and more tests. Now waiting on a biopsy on the 8th, new endo found a 11mm nodule on right side, that doesn't look right. My thyroid is "non existant" as he put it, eaten up from Hashi's. How long has this been going on? not sure. So all I can say is if you're not feeling the love from your doctor search out for one who will give you satisfaction!!!! Ask questions before making the appt, as so many endo's and others do not check all levels nor do scans if a lump is not felt or seen visually. cj
Hysterectomy

Closed Thread